Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Does removing adenoids and tonsils really help?

tzatza

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 10:08 pm
Looking for opinions of mothers whose kids had it removed: did it really helped?
DS is almost 9 and we were just told by a very competent ENT to have his adenoids and tonsils removed. I was prepared for adenoids removal, but tonsils....I often hear that it is better to leave them alone.

anonymom

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 10:12 pm
two of my kids had T & As for different reasons.

First kid snored, his voice sounded muffled, and he could hardly breathe through his nose. Surgery definitely helped.

Second kid had constant strep throat, was always at the doctor. Surgery definitely helped.

chaylizi

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 10:21 pm
my dd had it done- she had obstructive sleep apnea. she now sleeps through the night & the teachers aren't complaining about her behavior. one ENT told me no- point blank & the other said if I want to. I knew it needed to be done & when the ENT came to see her in post op, he told me they were a 4+ & the adenoids were similarly large & that I made the right decision. why do you want to do it?

flowerpower

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 11:38 pm
I heard from a few people that it really made a difference.

skcomputer

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 8:53 am
My daughter had both removed 11 years ago. Her problem was fluid in her ears that would not drain because they were blocked by the adenoids and she couldn't hear a thing. Her tonsils were also quite enlarged. No regrets on the surgery at all. The hearing problems were resolved and she became the quietest sleeper in the house (she had snored before). She did have to stay in the hospital over night (I stayed with her) and the recovery from the tonsils part is about a week with a sore throat (gets better every day). I had my tonsils and adenoids out 40+ years ago due to recurrent ear infections - it should have been done earlier because I did suffer some permanent hearing loss due to the infections, but after the surgery, no more infections. No regrets on my surgery either. Best wishes!!!

amother

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 10:22 am
we see an ENT regularly for my child. he had his adenoids removed when he was younger bec of constant sinus buildup and this did help a little. (he still gets sinus infections but to a lesser degree, he used to always need antibiotics...etc) as far as tonsils. the dr said his are huge but without a valid reason to remove them he is leaving them alone for now to see if my son can "grow into them" but my son is much younger, by 9 he should already have "grown into them" I think. in any case he wouldnt remove them for no reason, a valid reason he mentioned was recurring strep/tonsilits, snoring, sleep apnea.

good luck.

tzatza

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 10:47 am
In terms of adenoids, we've been back to the same ENT since DS was 2.5 and drowning in ear infections. Now, at almost 9 picture is still the same, even though ear infections stopped (still, his ears are full of liquid). Come to think of it, looks like his hearing is being affected. Anyhow, ENT (dr. Daniel Branovan) never pushed us for surgery before, just gave it as an option. Now, he is strongly advising it. In terms of tonsils. he says they are chronically infected, thus, their protective function is no longer in the picture and they need to come out as well. DS has red throat often (not always strep).

crbc

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 11:20 am
Dr. Branovan did T&A on my dd (then 3, now 9 ) We saw a huge improvement. He also did T. or T&A (cannot remember) for my nephew then 5 now 11. Also huge improvement. I know a PA who works with him in the hospital (both in and out the OR) and she likes him as a surgeon. Dr. Ukrainsky (same practice ?) is also good, did ear tubes for my other nephew few years back.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 11:44 am
I had a tonsillectomy 40+ years ago, and B"H the constant ear infections stopped and I didn't go on antibiotics again for anything for about 14 years.
OTOH, my toddler daughter was headed for tubes for her ear infections and B"H we were able to avoid that with homeopathy, acidopholous and drops.

Don't know exactly what your situation is. I will say that had DD had tubes, we B"H met with excellent shlichim from Hashem for the job - good bedside manner, extreme competence, inspired confidence.
Good luck making an informed decision!

goodness

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 12:24 pm
I have 2 kids that had adnoids and tubes put in at same time. with both I've seen huge improvement.

first son always had runny nose (adnoids was blocking from draining to the back) he also had fluid in ear so dr decided to do tubes too to help it drain. 2 wks after we had a diff boy, he was able to smell finally, and no more runny nose, since then.Now he is 7 (had it removed at 3) I dont think he ever needs a tissue for his nose. lol
second son had it done earlier (at a wk b/f 2) he always had ear infections and I dont like to give antibiotics, so we went to ent and he said the same thing, remove adnoids and put tubes. B'h we also saw major diff right away. No more ear infection since then (hes little over 3)

Good luck in whatever u decide!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children