Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Any mothers of 1 yr olds out there? Pls help

Mini Cookie

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 12:09 pm
My baby just turned a year & I havent got the faintest idea of how much to supplement her as far as formula (I'm still BF) & baby food. I'm so worried that she's starving & I just dunno where to start.

TIA

flowerpower

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 1:26 pm
You have to use your own judement. Babies don't need big meals. My excellent pedi told me a half of a peanut butter sandwich is enough for them. They have tiny bellies. I follow dds lead. If you are still bf and you give her from each food group-not even a lot it should be fine. Is she not gaining?

Mini Cookie

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 8:55 pm
She's not gaining that much but she was off the charts till now, really tall & chubby. I wanna wean her off nursing a bit...not completely yet. What is she supposed to be drinking? formula or juice?

thanks

Ronit

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 9:10 pm
If you are bf, I would not give any formula. Stick to food & water/juice.

chabadshb

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 9:26 pm
If she's 1 year she can have milk....I think milk is better then formula

qeenB

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 9:37 pm
dont give juice! it will turn into a bad habit. milk and food lots of protein is good and water.

de_goldy

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 9:38 pm
Definitely no juice. It is so unhealthy.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 11:40 pm
If she is chubby from eating the right foods then you for sure have no need to worry. I give dd milk in a cup. She usually gets yogurt and cereal and milk so I know she gets her calcium.

drumjj

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 3:53 am
I was told a kid that age has to have 300ml a day of milk. but this can also be counted as yogurt cheese etc if she is not allergic to milk then give milk and water in a cup with a lid not juice

sarah86

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 5:19 am
My dd turns 1 on Monday. She never had a bottle or formula. I just started her with milk in a sippy cup. It took her a few days to start to like it, but she seems to like it now. I never gave her juice, just tap water (for the flouride). She eats probably 5 little meals a day. I make her mini grilled cheese sandwiches, macaroni and cheese, chicken. She lets me know when she has had enough-except for cookies. She eats fruite as a snack with sliced cheese. I also just started peanut butter. Your baby will let you know when she is hungry or thirsty. Good luck!

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 8:14 am
Yeah, I'm with the others on milk.

My one year old gets a yogurt once a day (usually for breakfast). I've also given him sliced cheese.

He's not too thrilled with sippy cups or bottles so we haven't tried straight milk yet but that will be coming soon.

6coop

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 9:14 am
If your dd never got any food up until now, you might need to start her on pureed or really soft foods at first so that she can get used to the new textures. You also need to make sure she doesn't have food allergies/sensitivities, so don't try too many new foods at once.

melbee

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 11:04 am
DS also just turned a year, and until now has been above the charts on height and weight. By his one year check up though, we found out he's considered underweight, and in the 2 weeks since, he has gained enough to be out of the underweight woods. I usually give him a yogurt or toast with butter for breakfast, a pb sandwich, sometimes with banana on it for lunch, and whatever we're having for dinner. His fave is grilled cheese, but he can also eat chicken, ziti, etc. Crackers, Cheerios, etc. are a good snack. Hope this helps.

Also, I second milk in a cup. Although DS has greatly reduced his milk intake recently, my ped said he should be drinking at least 20 oz of whole milk a day. It will probably take awhile for her to adjust to a a cup and the taste, but give it a try.

Mini Cookie

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 12:46 pm
wow, thanks for your replies! I'm confused about milk cuz I found with my 3 yr old that getting her used to milk bottles was a prob...it kept her full longer & ruined her appetite.

campmommy

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 12:52 pm
If you're still bf your baby doesn't need as much milk as a baby that is not. There is no reason to give formula. Dairy products also count in towards the milk amounts, speak to your ped. about how much is REALLY necessary. If you give other foods that are high in calcium, then you really don't need much milk at all. As far as the poster who said start with pureed and soft, in my experience even 6 month olds would prefer pieces, Kal Vachomer a 1 yr. old would like things to chew on (softish, but not pureed).

gold21

Post Fri, Apr 09 2010, 2:31 pm
I dont think one hundred percent fruit juice is unhealthy. vitamin c is important. ok yes its fattening and its bad for your teeth when put in baby bottles, but unhealthy? I disagree.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics