Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Daycare options in Cincinatti?

shobee

Post Sat, Apr 03 2010, 3:51 pm
Hi, B"eH I will be going to Cincinnati for a one month internship this summer. Arrangements are being made for an apartment. I wanted to know if anyone is familiar with Cincinatti's frum community. We need to make arrangements for our 2 kids. Our oldest will be almost 4 and the baby will be 1. Does anyone know about day camps, or potential full time babysitters, costs, locations, etc.? We are coming from Israel and really have no idea what to expect. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks and Moadim L'Simcha!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 10:05 am
shobee wrote:
Hi, B"eH I will be going to Cincinnati for a one month internship this summer. Arrangements are being made for an apartment. I wanted to know if anyone is familiar with Cincinatti's frum community. We need to make arrangements for our 2 kids. Our oldest will be almost 4 and the baby will be 1. Does anyone know about day camps, or potential full time babysitters, costs, locations, etc.? We are coming from Israel and really have no idea what to expect. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks and Moadim L'Simcha!

Cincinnati Smile

My sister in law runs the daycamp there -- Ashreinu. I'm not sure if I should post her number, or where to contact, but I'm spending Pesach at my in-laws with her, so I'll ask her the best way to reach her so you can find out about it.

As far as daycare, I think your best option would be to join cincinnatishuls.com and post there. I know there are a few women who do daycare in their homes and you can find out who will be available in the summer.
From what I hear, daycare at home can be a bit expensive (6-7/hour?). I don't remember how much camp is. That camp is located at Cincinnati Hebrew Day School which is right by the Jewish community, and depending where you stay, could be walking distance.

There is also Camp Chabad located a bit farther away. If it hasn't changed in the past few years, the Majeskis are the directors. That camp has a few frum kids (mainly Lubavitch) and loads of other Jewish children. http://campchabad.org/default.asp?
Ashreinu is more geared to already frum than to kiruv.

shobee

Post Mon, Apr 05 2010, 2:39 pm
Thank you so much, I will definitely look into those options. I am completely out of my element. In Israel I usually send my 3 yr old daughter to neighborhood camps (at about 140 shekel a week!) and a sibling/mother/relative to watch my 9 month old during vacation. I guess it would be cheaper to have one person babysit both of them while we're there, don't think it makes sense to pay camp and private sitter right? I wonder if there are any small neighborhood camps run by young girls there that might be more affordable for us. Thanks so much!!
Moadim lisimcha

Tamiri

Post Mon, Apr 05 2010, 2:42 pm
shobee wrote:
Thank you so much, I will definitely look into those options. I am completely out of my element. In Israel I usually send my 3 yr old daughter to neighborhood camps (at about 140 shekel a week!) and a sibling/mother/relative to watch my 9 month old during vacation. I guess it would be cheaper to have one person babysit both of them while we're there, don't think it makes sense to pay camp and private sitter right? I wonder if there are any small neighborhood camps run by young girls there that might be more affordable for us. Thanks so much!!
Moadim lisimcha
Honestly? It would probably be cheaper to take one of those a/m relatives with you for the month to have that person, whom you trust, watch the children. Or another person from Israel whom you trust.

hila

Post Tue, Apr 06 2010, 1:08 am
As Tamiri says - take an Israeli teen/or older with you - then you have a babysitter and helper.
There are many post high school girls that would like the experience

Tamiri

Post Tue, Apr 06 2010, 7:58 am
hila wrote:
As Tamiri says - take an Israeli teen/or older with you - then you have a babysitter and helper.
There are many post high school girls that would like the experience
Heck, *I* would like the experience too!

shobee

Post Tue, Apr 06 2010, 1:56 pm
Smile lol u'r funny. Thank you so much for your input and advice. My husband isn't wild about the idea of having someone with us 24/7 even if it does come out cheaper. The trip will be funded by the hospital where I work but it's a pretty minimal budget that will cover flights, car, and my normal salary for that month. My husband works from home on american hours (4 pm- 12 pm) and is usually a huge help with the kids in the mornings after I leave for work before they wake up and in the interim when they finish gan and I get home. To me the most logical thing to do is to have him watch the kids between 8.30-5 when I get home, and then we'll switch and he'll go to work. He would rather have the kids taken care of by anyone else and be able to work his nine hours 9-5 during actual work hours. I would rather not spend any money that we don't have! Scratching Head
thanks so much!

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 12:00 pm
My friend runs a playgroup out of her home. Her name is Becca and her # is 513 407 3400.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 10:43 am
If you want to call about Camp Ashreinu, my sister in law said you can call her. Tova Scherer, 513-351-7424
FANTASTIC staff. My incredible sister is one of them Wink (I'm not being biased. I have some sisters who are ok, but this one is one of a kind with children.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics