Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Goat Milk anyone?

wannagrow

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 2:10 pm
I have trouble tolerating regular cows milk and lately I've been hearing very good things about both the tolerability as well as the nutritional value of goat milk. Does anyone ahve any input?

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 2:50 pm
I know someone who was on it as a toddler due to lactose intolerance, so I guess it must be tolerable. And I do believe it is pretty healthy but don't know details.

Plonis

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 3:03 pm
I hear it has a distinct taste, but it IS very healthy. (Probably healthier for humans, as goat milk is most similar to human milk.)

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 3:33 pm
I know it's meant to be much healthier than cow's milk.
I was just at a health food store and was considering buying a bottle but it cost 16 shekels - 3 times as much as a regular bag of cow's milk. Sheesh!

You should probably try it though, if you're sensitive.

nylon

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 3:48 pm
Mommeeeeeeee! wrote:
I know someone who was on it as a toddler due to lactose intolerance, so I guess it must be tolerable. And I do believe it is pretty healthy but don't know details.

Goats milk contains lactose. All mammal milk does. If you have an allergy to cows' milk protein, you might be able to tolerate goats' milk. (FWIW, milk protein allergy is much more common than lactose intolerance in infants and toddlers, though people often confuse the two.)

The balance of fat and protein is a little different from cows' milk, and the protein is closer to the one in breast milk (still not a substitute, though!) I think calling it "much" healthier might be taking it a bit far--I don't think the differences are huge enough. There are more minerals, and it's a bit more digestible. The fat is much more emulsified than in cows' milk, so even if it's not homogenized it won't separate. You can only get cream and skim by using a centrifuge. Apparently, because of this, goats' milk will make a smoother ice cream than cows' milk, but I've never tried it.

The downside is that in many areas, goats' milk is only available ultrapasteurized. I really dislike the cooked taste, so I never buy any ultrapasteurized milk (I go out of my way to buy non-ultrapasteurized cream, too).

bnm

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 5:28 pm
allergist said that goat milk protein is very closely related to cow's milk and shouldn't risk it.

I did eat goat's milk cheese once, got such a bad reaction and my milk allergy has gotten worse since then.

Butterfly

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 5:55 pm
One of my sons had constant ear infections as a toddler. Once I began substituting goats milk instead of reg milk his infections vanished totally. He never had another another ear infection for the next three four years while on goats milk.. I also used goat's yogurt for him as well. I think that the acidophilus count and effectiveness in goats (milk) yogurt is far better than the yogurt from cow's milk.
I was told at the time that the goats milk in itself is much more nutritional, and is used for healing as well.

hannah95

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 6:36 pm
I used to have organic goat milk yogurt which was very good but that was before I started eating kosher ... I miss having it, but the choice in yogurts is really poor here if you want halav chamour and a good hashgara.
I tasted goat milk once and found the taste really strong. Not for everyone.

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 7:27 pm
a family I know needed goats milk for a child and since it wasn't available chalav yisrael at the time they simply bought a goat and kept it in their garden.

tzatza

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 7:37 pm
When oldest DS (now 8) was found to be allergic to cow's milk when he was a toddler, we switched to MEyenberg Goat Milk. I've started drinking it as well and so does my husband and our two younger kids. Maybe because I've never liked cow's milk, but I love goat's milk taste. I eat it with cereal, add to omelettes, tea, coffee, etc. THis milk is Vitamin D fortified and I've heard it may be overall healthier. We also buy and eat goat cheese (Tnuva makes a good one).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics