Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
MRI for a 1 year old
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Tue, Apr 13 2010, 9:00 pm
when my daughter was 3 months old she needed an mri. it was a really nutso story. and only my child would move under ansteia. seriously it was scary looking at her. I went with her until she was out than I was kicked out of the room. her tiny body on the huge bed freaked me out. but bh it was really no big deal in the end.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 6:07 am
My 3 y.o ds also needs an MRI now im so nervous about the IV (why I didnt I think about it before Rolling Eyes ). Anyone did it in Maimo? do they allow you in the room? (sorry op for hijaking).

amother

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 12:14 pm
OP here

Ok, another question: What is contrast, and how does it affect things?

TIA

chaylizi

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 12:20 pm
Contrast is IV injectible dye which helps the radiologist see the images better.

It is a problem if your child is allergic to iodine & it is uncomfortable (just a very little bit) even if you are not allergic. But the images from a MRI with contrast are much more valuable.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 12:30 pm
chaylizi wrote:
Contrast is IV injectible dye which helps the radiologist see the images better.

It is a problem if your child is allergic to iodine & it is uncomfortable (just a very little bit) even if you are not allergic. But the images from a MRI with contrast are much more valuable.

Thanks for answering. Is there a greater risk when using contrast? (Not that I have a choice or anything, it's just that I like to worry, as you may have guessed. Wink )
Also, when you say it's uncomfortable, does that mean just during the MRI (which isn't a problem since she'll be sedated) or will she feel it even once she wakes up?

chaylizi

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 12:34 pm
no greater risk. even if she is allergic. they just premedicate with benadryl and steroids.

and it's only uncomfortable while they are injecting it & immediately afterward (from personal experience).

amother

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 12:38 pm
Oh, I get it. Thanks so much!

amother

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 12:40 pm
Oh, and chaylizi, I just wanted to thank you in general for always addressing everyone's concerns so patiently and in such simple terms (something that you generally don't get from a doctor). Your help is invaluable. My sincerest appreciation.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 1:22 pm
so I don't really get it. I am sorry to posting this, but if child has low growth hormone and problem is going to be pinpointed (like lets say it is pituitary)....or some other reason,,,,,,,,

are there treatments and if yes what kind.

if there are no treatment except growth hormone pills then why make kids go through all this diagnostic procedures.????

anon due to my ignorance. thanks

chaylizi

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 1:26 pm
my pleasure. feel free to pm me any time. I accept private consultations Wink

could you be more specific as to what they are looking for? I will be happy to see what I can dig up for you.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Apr 14 2010, 1:27 pm
How about this?

http://www.emedicinehealth.com.....m.htm

amother

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 7:51 am
OP here

I just wanted to clarify that the amother above (who asked about different treatments) was not me, but that link was very informative and helpful anyway.

To that amother: This is what was explained to me (although I may have misunderstood it. If that's the case, can someone more knowledgeable kindly correct me?)
Growth hormone deficiency can originate in a number of places. In other words, the problem can be in the brain, in the pituitary gland, or elsewhere. In my daughter's case, the doctors aren't sure if the problem is that she's actually producing too little growth hormone or that she is producing enough but her body isn't responding properly to it. If it's the latter, growth hormone injections won't help because most likely the body won't respond to that either. So they're trying to pinpoint where it all started.

Not sure if that answered your question.

chaylizi

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 7:53 am
How interesting, that sounds exactly like the two types of diabetes. The different Endocrine systems (and dysfunctions) seem to be somewhat similar.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 7:56 am
chaylizi wrote:
How interesting, that sounds exactly like the two types of diabetes. The different Endocrine systems (and dysfunctions) seem to be somewhat similar.

Uh oh, you just said a scary word! Please explain what you mean before I find something else to worry about! Shaking
(I'm the OP, btw)

ilovestrollers

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 8:14 am
I think what chaylizi is saying is that this growth hormone issue is similar to the types of diabetes. In one type of diabetes, the body produces enough insulin, but the cells don't pick it up. In the other type, the body does not produce enough. Just comparing how hormones function.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 8:20 am
Another amother who is going through the same thing: I think the basic reason is that they need to rule out a tumor because obviously that is more dangerous and is going to require a very different form of treatment. While their doing that it is helpful to know if there is structural damage. I believe growth hormone injections would help in either case.

chaylizi

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 8:29 am
amother wrote:
chaylizi wrote:

Uh oh, you just said a scary word! Please explain what you mean before I find something else to worry about! Shaking
(I'm the OP, btw)

Calm down. Just that there are two types of diabetes & both have to do with the amount of a certain hormone (in this case insulin) available. In type 1, the body simply doesn't make enough. In type 2, the body makes more than enough, but the body doesn't use it. The result of both types, is that the body doesn't have enough insulin to keep the blood sugar in check. Now run through that speech using the words growth hormone & GH deficiency. In both cases, you need to artificially introduce the missing hormone into the body for normal functioning.

chaylizi

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 8:31 am
ilovestrollers wrote:
I think what chaylizi is saying is that this growth hormone issue is similar to the types of diabetes. In one type of diabetes, the body produces enough insulin, but the cells don't pick it up. In the other type, the body does not produce enough. Just comparing how hormones function.

yup.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 9:31 am
OP here

Phew...

The reason why I got nervous was because what dd is low in is called IGF-1, which stands for Insulin-like Growth Factor-1. Now, in my medically-uneducated mind, insulin=diabetes related. (Or rather, diabetes = insulin related, but you know what I mean.) So when you said diabetes, I automatically made the connection. But I got it now. You're right, it is interesting. Isn't it amazing how many details have to work together perfectly to form a healthy, fully-functioning human body, something that most of us take for granted? It boggles my mind.

amother

Post Sat, Apr 17 2010, 5:36 pm
My husband is taking Growth Hormone for a low IGF-1 level. His was caused by a Pituitary Tumor which was discovered through an MRI (which incidentally they let me stay in for). He also had a growth hormone (GH) stimulation test to see if his body could be forced into making Growth Hormone. Since it did not respond they then started the Growth Hormone injection. It is very expensive so check that your insurance will cover you for the medication.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics