Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What to feed baby?
1  2  Next

sarahd

Post Thu, Jan 20 2005, 4:19 am
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can feed my 6.5 month old baby, besides baby rice and oat cereal? I have tried the following items, to which he reacts by retching, gagging and making horrible faces, in addition to crying. I think that means he doesn't like those items: Wink

carrots
carrots with potatoes
sweet potatoes
sweet potatoes with white potatoes
split pea soup (he actually liked this the first two times he ate it, but not afterwards)
applesauce
bananas

The only other thing he eats is chicken soup. Mother's milk and cereal are probably enough, nutritionally speaking, for now, but I would like to expand his taste palette.

Pearl

Post Thu, Jan 20 2005, 5:47 am
dear sarahd,
first of all, when he doesn;t like something, try that something after a few weeks again, he might like it then. Never heard of a child not liking banana's Very Happy
how about other fruits, like melon? and how about diary products, like they have those small "cups" with white cheese with fruit. I don't know where you live, but it's sold in Antwerp, and Paris, and in Amsterdam....
But don't worry too much, maybe he's just not interested yet! ? Try again in a couple of weeks.

sarahd

Post Thu, Jan 20 2005, 6:14 am
Pnina wrote:
Never heard of a child not liking banana's.

Meet my son. He takes after his father. LOL

Quote:
how about other fruits, like melon?

Can't get them here in the winter. Also, he only eats pureed food. Can you puree melon?

Quote:
and how about diary products, like they have those small "cups" with white cheese with fruit. I don't know where you live, but it's sold in Antwerp, and Paris, and in Amsterdam....

I'm afraid to give him dairy, because he was sensitive to dairy in my milk. I couldn't have any dairy for nearly 4 months. I think I'm going to wait a long time till I introduce him to dairy.

Thanks for your advice, though! I guess I'll wait some time before trying again. It sure will save me lots of work! Very Happy

Pearl

Post Thu, Jan 20 2005, 6:34 am
hi,
you can purate almost any fruit! as of 6 months of age you can try melon, peach, apple, pear. if he was/is sensitive to milk, then the diary products might indeed be a bad idea now. But really, try again later! what if you make vegatable soup and purate it, maybe he will like that?
he can also try colliflower (cruvit) and broccoli, and from the age of 6 months, you can also try and give him tiny pieces of bread.
hatzlaha!!!

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Jan 20 2005, 7:04 am
Gefilte Fish

Mashed veggies from chicken soup,
and later chicken
(thin with broth)

Pearl

Post Thu, Jan 20 2005, 7:31 am
very true!
and you know what my kids all loved at that age - smoked salmon Very Happy

yehudis

Post Thu, Jan 20 2005, 9:05 am
It's funny -- I also never liked bananas. Still don't.

Maybe your son is not ready for other foods yet. But definitely try them again in a few weeks.

Can you get avocado? What about butternut squash?

HooRYou

Post Thu, Jan 20 2005, 5:54 pm
my son also didn't like banana at first but he saw me eating one today and was interested so I gave him some. He didn't go crazy for it but didn't spit it out. I was told that bananas are a very strong taste and a lot of babies don't go for it.

Everyone here is probably going to think I am crazy but I give my baby Tehina in his cereal. He doesn't really the cereal plain and seems to love tehina. Besides the fact that he was practically licking the bowl the day he sat with me while I was eating white bean homous that included tehina, he attacked the tehina at the baby sitters house when she was putting it on her salad. I am not necessarily saying to give your child tehina since there can definitely be allergy issues, but maybe think a little outseide the usual framework.

Anotehr thing to think about is the temperature of the food. I always read how the food has to be warm, but my baby seems to like his food better cool if not cold. I tried giving him warm foor and he gagged like you said. On the pther friend my friend said her son gags if the food is not warm so he cou;d have a temperature preference.

Just keep experimenting and don't get discouraged.

Anny

Post Sun, Jan 23 2005, 9:11 am
egg yoke, thinned with brest milk, formula, wather, or juice

zuncompany

Post Sun, Jan 23 2005, 10:09 am
egg is a huge allergin. You need to be very careful with it.

squash is a great one, apricots, plums, avacados, corn, greenbeans.

Sara

sarahd

Post Sun, Jan 23 2005, 12:33 pm
I'm going to try avocado and green beans, since I can get them. I missed the butternut squash, because I was in America the two weeks it was available (no butternut squash soup this year Sad which is a pity because I have such a great recipe for it). No corn and no summer fruit in the winter here, or else it's prohibitively expensive. I'm learning to live with the seasons!!

miriam

Post Sun, Jan 23 2005, 12:35 pm
I think barley is filling. You could mash it or cook it until it's really soft. I fed it to her with milk (rice milk) as a sweetner.

zuncompany

Post Sun, Jan 23 2005, 12:58 pm
breast milk also:)

farina also is good.

What about spinach? Zu hated it, but I know they sell it in the jars here.

Sara

sarahd

Post Sun, Jan 23 2005, 1:00 pm
I have barley baby cereal, which I plan to try soon. I tried oat cereal and I think he had an allergic reaction to it. I'm hoping it was a cold coming on or teething, but meanwhile I'm sticking to rice cereal and holding off on other grains.

miriam

Post Sun, Jan 23 2005, 1:01 pm
what reaction did he have?

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, Jan 23 2005, 3:43 pm
Sarahd, Be careful with the rice cuz it could cause constipation.

Zun, just out of curiosity what keilim do u use for breastmilk? Are you allowed to use your own for kashrus reasons?

zuncompany

Post Sun, Jan 23 2005, 3:53 pm
I was told (when I asked and I asked like 200 times) that it is pareve. I was told just to be careful how I steralized my pumping equipment. So, I have dairy and fleish cones.

Sara

Tefila

Post Sun, Jan 23 2005, 4:00 pm
Fy I edited my strange question Rolling Eyes but thanks Smile

Last edited by Tefila on Mon, Jan 24 2005, 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Jan 23 2005, 5:56 pm
Soorry for being explicit, but
people are kosher parev, and so is mother's milk.

Pearl

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 1:03 am
Sarahd,
by the way, it's healthiest to eat only veggies and fruits which are in season in the country you live in!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics