Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Cutting nails

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Aug 26 2004, 12:36 pm
any tips on cutting your babies nails.

I try while he is slepping but its difficult doing it over the crib railing.I try also after a bath when his nails are softer, but he plays a fit and won't let.

to be honest, I also wouldn't like it if someone cut my nails. so do we just listen to the cries and try our best?

Yael

Post Thu, Aug 26 2004, 3:10 pm
I also had a hard time with cutting my older son's nails. but I discovered that the only way to do it was to stand him next to the toilet, so the nails fall directly inside (that way he cant snatch the tissue with all the nails and spill it) and to make a big deal of it. I'd talk in a very loud exagerated voice, "oh wow!! look at this! tic, tic, tic, look what I'm doing!! see the nails!! etc, etc. make up stories to keep him occupied and distracted. alot of the time I'd cut my nails at the same time so he's more interested in copying me.

another thing that works for a younger age is to sit him in the high chair with toys or food or you can do the same exagerated talking, and cut the nails directly into the tray, (not on a tissue since thats the first thing he'll pick up) and clean the tray after. that way he cant go anywhere.

if he really screams just do one hand at a time. I've done that too.
and give him a nail clipper to play with.

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Aug 26 2004, 3:26 pm
thanks for the tips. I am going to try cutting his nails in the highchair. ,

If I cut my nails at the same time, he will not copy me, he doesn't get the idea of copying yet. when I want him to eat , I eat a little to show him, so he thinks I wanna eat and he starts feeding me. ( I wouldn't want him to try cut my nails- lol)

curlyhead

Post Sun, Aug 29 2004, 5:52 am
I also go crazy cutting my toddlers nails. I don't do it as often as I should. when he was a baby I did it when he was sleeping. Now that he is older and can't sit still I find the best thing is for my husband to distract him while I cut his nails.
When he was a newborn I cut his finger while trying to cut his nails with a regular clipper ever since then I always use a baby nail clipper

Rivka

Post Sun, Aug 29 2004, 7:34 pm
I used to tell my son when he was a few months old and crying when I tried to cut his nails that his nails told me to cut them coz they keep scratching people and really it isn't nice for them, dunno why but it worked for me.
Now I just sit him down on my lap and cut his nails, I don't put them on a tissue first coz as Yael says that is what the kid'll grab first. I put them on the side all together so they are easy to get after and I can see them. Plus I cut it with scissors and the scissors come in a little packet so I give him the packet to play with and if he complains and makes a fuss I just hold his hand really tight and he gets the message. I don't think it hurts them unless you dig really too far but sometimes I think they just get annoyed at sitting while you do something with their hands.
Another thing to try is to do it while he is preoccupied watching something else like if someone else is entertaining him.

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, Aug 29 2004, 7:44 pm
Rivka, at a few months old, did your son understand that the nails needed to be cut, its nice to say when their level of comprehension is older-- right now my son won't understand it. but thanks anyways I''l try it when he's older and still gives me a hard time.

Yael

Post Tue, Aug 31 2004, 10:55 am
does anyone know if its ok to cut a baby's nails on a thurs? I know we cant cut our own nails, but does it really matter for a baby?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 31 2004, 7:46 pm
you know with my youngers children I just had my hsband distract them while I snipped- after they were a year or so, then I would talk to them and encourage them to watch and now ebven thouh my kids holler (cause its hurts!) yaa rite... they all let me cut their nails. work quickly and say you are almost done. younger than understanding age, you need someone else to read a story watch a video or make the silly noises.

Rochel Leah

Post Tue, Aug 31 2004, 8:01 pm
Yael, I hear that the halochos for cutting nails apply to babies as well. I dont know the source. but it is something that could wait a day, so why not?

Rochel Leah

Post Wed, Sep 01 2004, 8:28 am
Heres something in genral I found on cutting nails, thought everyone might like it:
A Chasid came to the Vizhnitzer Rebbe complaining bitterly about his difficulties in raising his children, and in particular, about his son who had gone astray.

Asked the Rebbe, "Are you careful about cutting your nails every erev Shabbos?"

"I cut my nails when they are too long," the Chasid replied.

"If you undertake to cut your nails from now on, every erev Shabbos, you will be blessed with frum children." And so it was.

(Yakra deShabbesa, Vizhnitz, 13:8)

miriam

Post Sun, Sep 26 2004, 9:51 pm
I wonder what the connection between nails and children is??
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics