Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How impt. do you think Education is?
Previous  1  2  3  4

What level of education would you want the boy your daughter marries to have?
His level of education doesn't matter. Only his middos count.  
 37%  [ 13 ]
High school grad is enough.  
 28%  [ 10 ]
I wouldn't consider someone without a college degree and a profession.  
 34%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 35

Mandy

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 1:18 pm
Motek, do you not see how what you write contradicts what RG has written ?
Quote:
the way a Yid earns his money is proved in the Pasuk: "V'atem Hadvaikim BaHashem Chayim Kulchem Hayom." (ill look that up later to see if I quoted it right, if not ill correct it.) the way you will have "Chayim" (life, parnasah) is if you are davek (cleave) to Hashem.
the way a non-Jew earns his money is what we see these days in the world around us: going to college- an education, a high-salary job, etc.

Hashem supports the Yidden in ways that are above nature.
Hashem supports the non-Jews in ways that are within nature.

now, Hashem says to the Yidden: I am ready to support you in a way that is above-nature, the way a Yid should be earning his money, BUT if you insist on earning parnasa like a non-Jew, then you insist, and I wont stop you.

If you think that the reason poor people are poor is to give us a chance to perform the mitzva of tzedaka, that is lovely, but don't turn around and say that if the person was more davek to Hashem, he would have more parnassah. That is just a stirah- it means that if everyone was as close to Hashem as they should be, no one would need tzedkah and we wouldn't have this mitzvah.

This is an aside and has nothing to do with the college discussion, btw.

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 1:20 pm
Mandy wrote:
If you think ...

actually it was Rabbi Akiva who said so, do you believe him?

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 1:40 pm
Quote:
The reason that yeshivas continue to exist is because people with education and degrees pay full tuition, the reason full tuition is so high is because quite a few people don't "believe" in college education and are very happy paying zilch for tuition.

Excellent point, Mandy. in fact, the Rebbe brings up this exact point in the sicha!
and the Rebbe says (paraphrased): it is the Yetzer Hara who garbs himself in a kapote Exclamation and says "who will support the Yeshiva if no one has education and well-paying job to earn the money?"

Quote:
I spoke to someone last week about modern avoda zara in America and she suggested two things: money and education

crayon, thanx for sharing. it is very true.

Quote:
I think I will use this line when the next tzedakah case asking for money for food for his family or rent payments shows up at my door. This is what I will say : "Oh, you don't need my money, just daven a bit more

Mandy, weve been through this many many times.
If your money is your ego, then it is definitely a yetzer hara. Money is from Hashem, and only Hashem. not from a college education, not from a successful job, not from your own skills, and not from my own skills.

rosehill

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 10:16 am
Quote:
the Rebbe's position on college,

By "Rebbe", I assume you mean the Lubavitcher Rebbe OB"M, who studied Science and Mathematics at the University of Berlin, and, later, at the Sorbonne in Paris?
http://www.congressionalgoldme.....n.htm

Quote:
today it is up to the mothers to save their children from todays Nile

which is why we work so hard to keep our children in yeshiva, and as far from the "Nile" of public schools as possible.
Which is why I can't understand how people can say and defend
Quote:
paying full tuition is not my priority.

Is paying rent a prority? Is buying a beautiful esrog a priority? But tuition is not?

Crayon210

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 10:57 am
The Lubavitcher Rebbe studied in college under the direction of his father-in-law, the previous Lubavitcher Rebbe. There are numerous stories of responses that the Rebbe would give when people asked, "Well, you did it, why can't I?"

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 03 2006, 7:37 pm
Either at least 2 years of university, or already working, unless my daughter wants a learning man.

ektsm

Post Wed, May 03 2006, 7:38 pm
Very very important!

besimcha

Post Thu, May 25 2006, 6:18 am
Mandy wrote:

I think I will use this line when the next tzedakah case asking for money for food for his family or rent payments shows up at my door. This is what I will say : "Oh, you don't need my money, just daven a bit more and behave like a good yid and this won't be a problem. Clearly your parnassah problems simply reflect your lack of bitachon or frumkeit or whatever." I'll see how that works out- probably see a lot less txedakah guys at my door. Thanks for the tip !

Well, if you do this, Hashem will find another way to give this person the money that he needs. It is our privilege to choose to become the vessel when Hashem feeds people, but if you choose not to do so, Hashem will feed the person in a different way and you will be the one who lost out on a mitzvah.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 25 2006, 6:33 am
I think that I would want anyone who was marrying a child of mine to have some sort of degree or skill to be able to work so that they will be able to bring in a parnassa into the couple and IYH family.
it doesnt have to be a PhD, just a skill or certificate will even do.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics