Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Being hungry Erev Shabbos

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 28 2006, 5:47 pm
By us, Shabbos always starts when it starts, meaning we make kiddush pretty late (I know some will bring in Shabbos at 7 PM every week but we don't)........

So; I work in the office too, and it's a busy day in the office and then I go and it's busy as well at home, and generally I'm so hungry, I have no koyach!

I'm careful what I eat so I don't want to eat cookies all afternoon, yet I can't eat a regular lunch and a regular dinner at the times I would normally eat since I don't want to be stuffed by Kiddush time either..........

What are your helpful hints?

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Apr 28 2006, 5:58 pm
My tip is to BRING LUNCH TO WORK!
I also used to be bad about eating a normal lunch on friday, but when shabbos comes in so late, you NEED to eat a regular lunch!

realeez

Post Fri, Apr 28 2006, 6:02 pm
ditto the big lunch on friday!

I hope no one makes shabbos every week at 7 pm - that wouldn't quite work in the winter! Wink

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 28 2006, 6:55 pm
Summer shabbosim are 7 PM in many communities and even camps, for little kids, but actually, in the winter, we do make kiddush a little later, at 7 PM.

we don't make kiddush bet. 6 and 7. but that's another thing.

Anyway, a lot of my coworkers make Fruit Friday and I don't know how they do itl I'd def. be starving........as it is, on a slice of pizza or a salad, I can't make it to kiddish after 9 PM!

so - I eat lunch, sure - but I just can't make it on a lunch, and I certianly can't eat too much later or I def. can't eat a seudah.......

so.....

I need more suggestions, practical please!

deedee

Post Fri, Apr 28 2006, 6:57 pm
we eat dinner around 6pm. usually chicken and rice or some kinda chicken. then after kiddush we have salads and soup. it works really well espically for the children!

chen

Post Sat, Apr 29 2006, 11:39 pm
how about preparing for yourself in the morning before you go to work a thermos of soup or cocoa and/or a tupperware container of salad in the fridge to grab as soon as you get home?

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 3:33 am
I nosh on the potato kugel, as I'm transferring it to the blech. It's probably the only thing I eat on some busy Fridays besides literally two bites and a coffee in the morning. I guess that gets me through till Kiddush. (It's more that I forget to drink before licht benchen that makes me very thirsty till Kiddush.)

shalhevet

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 3:36 am
deedee wrote:
we eat dinner around 6pm. usually chicken and rice or some kinda chicken. then after kiddush we have salads and soup. it works really well espically for the children!

Check with a rov that this is OK (obviously no problem for little kids) because it sounds like it's in the category of making a se'uda on Friday afternoon. One should eat their Shabbos meal on Shabbos and not before.

Motek

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 9:07 am
I just decided that I cannot do this anymore. I cannot start eating a meal at 9 at night (and it's getting later and later) and have challa, fish, salad, main dish, side dish. I felt fine after the challa, fish, salad part and was ready to bentch! I ate the chicken anyway because I made it for the meal. I had eaten some potato kugel before Shabbos, having decided weeks ago, to eat the side dish on erev Shabbos.

Well, being literally "fed up" this past Friday night, I decided I would like to have the chicken too on erev Shabbos. Feeling horrible after the meal was not oneg Shabbos for me.

I think that if I eat chicken and the side dish before Shabbos, there are still quite a few hours to digest it before sitting down to the meal later that night.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 9:17 am
I am not going to sit down to chicken and kugel on friday afternoon. the shabobs food is expensive and just for shabbos.

also, my kitchen is hot and small and it gets uncomfortable fast. I am not going to cook anything special just for friday afternoon. if friday night is too late for a whole meal, than I'm not oging to make it at all.

if anyone is hungry in the afternoon, they can have cereal and milk, a pizza bagel, etc.

it's just that I'm pretty pickey, besides being overly hungry, and I don't really like that kind of stuff.....I gues I'll have to work something out...........

deedee

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 10:03 am
Quote:
Check with a rov that this is OK (obviously no problem for little kids) because it sounds like it's in the category of making a se'uda on Friday afternoon. One should eat their Shabbos meal on Shabbos and not before.

it is def not a seudah! its just a piece of chicken or shnitzel cause n/o is intrested in eating it at 9pm. the real shabbos seudah is taking place after kiddush when we wash, have fish, salads, soup etc. on an early shabbos in the winter n/o usually eats beyond soup anyway.

Quote:
I am not going to sit down to chicken and kugel on friday afternoon. the shabobs food is expensive and just for shabbos.

yes and the food I prepare is food I bought for shabbos. chicken is ready around 6pm so we sit outside and eat it. its not like ur eating ALL the food u made for shabbos. whats the diff if u eat it a few hrs later when u are stuffed and tired? not to mention that u starved the whole day!

brooklyn

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 10:59 am
Growing up in my parents house we always ate early in the summertime. Later we would light candles and my father and brothers went to shul. When the came home we made kiddush, hamotzie and ate fish and maybe some fruit. Eating a full meal after 9:00 PM was just too late.

gryp

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 11:03 am
I dont understand why people feel they have to eat the entire seudah so late at night.

I eat barely anything, im so uninterested in a heavy-duty meal at that time of night.

I make lots of things for shabbos but we eat it friday and shabbos afternoon.

red sea

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 11:54 am
I like that idea deedee & motek.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 26 2006, 5:23 pm
today I had a really big lunch, it helped a lot!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note