Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Another ADHD topic - for parents of adhd kids

amother

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 10:50 am
My son is being evaluated for ADHD... I have two questions:

At what age can you tell if your child is inattentive? I know there are some ppl that don't have the inattentive part, but I am wondering at what age would this part be apparent. How do I know if his mind is in a bunch of places at once? he seems focused to me, but he is not yet in grade school so I can't be sure. (his learning so far has been above average)

As far as hyperactive. what does this look like? does this mean wild? running around? my son does a lot of wiggling around. like he will be talking to me but not standing in one place. he will be moving his feet, arms etc. or when in a busy place with lots going on he will get wigglely and jump around kind of like he can't stand in one place. (he has been eval. for sensory and has been diagnosed with a sensory processing disorder as well, so I'm wondering if this wigglely/jumpy stuff is stemming from hyperactivity/adhd or from the sensory issue? basically what does hyperactive look like?

amother

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 12:52 pm
A child with real ADHD will be running around and throwing things by the time he is three years old.
A parent will have an urgent need to take the brat to the park every day, rain or shine.

A child with ADD will daydream at the age of three, just stare off into space.

A child who is perfectly normal and suddenly has problems in school should be examined for allergies and bullying.

amother

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 1:26 pm
amother wrote:
My son is being evaluated for ADHD... I have two questions:

At what age can you tell if your child is inattentive? I know there are some ppl that don't have the inattentive part, but I am wondering at what age would this part be apparent. How do I know if his mind is in a bunch of places at once? he seems focused to me, but he is not yet in grade school so I can't be sure. (his learning so far has been above average)

It can be much later. My dd was only diagnozed in 4th grade. The neurologist said that often smart kids get diagnozed later because they make up for their shortcomings by their intelligence.

Quote:
As far as hyperactive. what does this look like? does this mean wild? running around? my son does a lot of wiggling around. like he will be talking to me but not standing in one place. he will be moving his feet, arms etc. or when in a busy place with lots going on he will get wigglely and jump around kind of like he can't stand in one place. (he has been eval. for sensory and has been diagnosed with a sensory processing disorder as well, so I'm wondering if this wigglely/jumpy stuff is stemming from hyperactivity/adhd or from the sensory issue? basically what does hyperactive look like?

Could very well be hyperactive. amother above me - maybe your child is like that, but many are not. My dd actually got sent for testign because she is always fiddling with things, couldn't sit still, wiggled in her chair, behaved badly to other girls - she was not throwing chairs around or breaking up the house.

I heard from a counselor that many AD(H)D children have sensory issues - it is part of the AD(H)D because they don't absorb the same messages from the outside world. Often treating the AD(H)D cures or lessens the sensory issues - it doesn't mean it's a separate issue.

amother

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 1:37 pm
New amother here. My experience was that of preschool teachers always being dissatisfied with my child's not paying attention and not learning.

ShiningThrough

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 2:39 pm
To the amother who refers to her (or anyone's) kid as a brat, your point of view is disturbing to me...

One of my kids was obviously hyperactive from even before age 3... impulsive, 'wild', couldn't sit still, didn't listen... and smart, spiritual, deep and loving. Here in Israel they're hesitant to evaluate before age 6 (which is when she started taking meds) but we were dealing with it way before then.

I have ADHD and as a young child, undiagnosed, I felt so misunderstood and I resented being controlled and limited. I think that as parents of ADHD kids it is SO IMPORTANT to learn about what we're dealing with, find techniques and ways of loving and disciplining our kids that work/help in life (I'll let you know if I come up with any!), and be SURE to build up their self-confidence in healthy ways because these kids tend to get a LOT of negative feedback and have social difficulties. Please, don't refer to your kid or anyone else's as a brat. Keep loving them and just expect that you'll need a ton of strength and patience because parenting ADHD kids is extra demanding and stressful. Give them lots to do and strengthen their strong points. Medicate if you need to. But as frustrating and out of control as thay may be, THEY NEED YOU and the more patience and love you can share with them, the better off they'll be.

ADHD is a disability. If the disability was physical, chas v'shalom, you'd do whatever you could for your child, no?

marina

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 3:01 pm
In my experience, preschool children are one of the most overdiagnosed ADHD groups. A wiggly preschooler or one who cannot stand in one place is not one whom I would be concerned about. That is normal preschool behavior.

ADHD markers in a 4 -5 year old in my experience looks like:
* can't listen to a book for five minutes
* can't sustain attention on any one activity for five minutes ( I.e. cannot play legos for five minutes, will switch to something else), other than TV or video games
*can't stop talking
* can't sit and eat a meal for five minutes without getting up
*impulsive- will hit, pinch, poke other children & animals immediately upon being provoked.

The bigger question is why you are getting him evaluated. In order to be diagnosive, any disorder has to significantly interfere with the child's life. Typically this does not happen until school where teachers want a kid to sit and do things for a long period of time. Even so, if there is a school-aged child with ADHD markers with good grades and no social issues, I would not diagnose with ADHD b/c there is no interference with a child's life.

In any case, if he is being evaluated for ADHD, the main part of the eval is when you get a checklist for the child about his behaviors and you fill it out and it asks you if your child behaves like this never, sometimes, often or almost always. If you marked often or almost always, your child has more of the symptoms than someone who just marked never or sometimes for most of the questions.

amother

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 3:32 pm
orig OP here. here does not have the inattentive part of ADD. which is why I was asking when this would appear..I want to make sure he won't still develop this aspect.

as far as getting him evaluated we are doing so bec he is causing behavior problems in school and is impulsive socially. he will hurt other kids, either after being provoked or even just bec he feels like it.

amother

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 11:38 pm
amother wrote:
orig OP here. here does not have the inattentive part of ADD. which is why I was asking when this would appear..I want to make sure he won't still develop this aspect.

as far as getting him evaluated we are doing so bec he is causing behavior problems in school and is impulsive socially. he will hurt other kids, either after being provoked or even just bec he feels like it.

amother who did the quoting before.

I have been learning a lot about AD(H)D to help my child. AD(H)D means the messages in the brain get passed more slowly. One of the ways to speed them up is with medication. Another is motivation. When a child is highly motivated the process in the brain is speeded up, so often a child can concentrate for a long time on something they enjoy. Because of this I also thought my dd didn't have ADHD for many years.

On the other hand, the things you mention can have lots of other causes eg hearing, vision problems, being spoiled, other physical/ learning disabilities, anger issues etc etc

amother

Post Tue, May 18 2010, 7:26 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

amother who did the quoting before.

I have been learning a lot about AD(H)D to help my child. AD(H)D means the messages in the brain get passed more slowly. One of the ways to speed them up is with medication. Another is motivation. When a child is highly motivated the process in the brain is speeded up, so often a child can concentrate for a long time on something they enjoy. Because of this I also thought my dd didn't have ADHD for many years.

On the other hand, the things you mention can have lots of other causes eg hearing, vision problems, being spoiled, other physical/ learning disabilities, anger issues etc etc

he does not have vision problems or hearing problems, we tested. I don't think he's spoiled. he's always been a harder type of child, these issues aren't new. he can sit for long periods in so many varieties of things, reading, at shul, at a shiur!, playing games like checkers, uno, sorry etc. and he sits just fine, but when it comes time for recess or parties he gets way overstimulated and can't stand still. other times he is just plain not able to stand still like while talking or by dinner.

OP

amother

Post Tue, May 18 2010, 3:38 pm
my son is 5 also dealing with it for a while and lately decided to try meds my dr put him on low dose of focalin anyone have info on it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children