Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Can you freeze blintzes?

WriterMom

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 10:47 am
Filled and rolled, but not fried yet.

yo'ma

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 10:52 am
Of course, isn't that how the frozen ones come?

Tamiri

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 11:14 am
My suggestion would be to lightly fry them before freezing, and put them on wax/parchment paper to freeze. Don't freeze them raw (at least, I never did). To rejuvenate them after defrosting, finish the frying process.

shevi82

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 11:17 am
I would say the opposite, at least that's how I freeze them: filled but not fried. After defrosting them I fry them and they taste fresh.

prettyone

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 11:18 am
definably. just like the packaged ones

Tamiri

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 11:19 am
shevi82 wrote:
I would say the opposite, at least that's how I freeze them: filled but not fried. After defrosting them I fry them and they taste fresh.
Don't they run? Once you fry them, the crepe sort of seals itself. If you don't seal them before freezing, won't they be loose and let some filling out?

shevi82

Post Sun, May 23 2010, 11:22 am
No. I make sure not to over fill them. and if one or two run, I get to eat them!

WriterMom

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 8:03 pm
OK, I was too exhausted to fry before freezing, although I thought of that Tamar - the frying does sort of seal them. So I will report back on how that worked out, and if it wasn't optimal will try frying at least a little before freezing!

Thanks so much for all the ideas.

nylon

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 9:01 pm
I've always frozen them filled and uncooked. The only rule is they need to be in single layers in Ziploc bags, then sealed in Tupperware. Otherwise they freeze into a solid block. (My mother did that once.) Defrost before frying. Never had a leak (I fold in square packages, fwiw).

My mother and grandmother always did blintzes with 10 lbs of cheese at a time and froze them. Filling the pancakes is one of the first kitchen tasks I learned. They would fry and my sister and I would fill. Memories...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals