Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Developing Physical Gracefulness

amother

Post Mon, May 24 2010, 10:37 pm
How can one become graceful? I don't move like a robot, and I'm not totally klutzy, but I want to learn to carry myself with elegant, smooth movements or postures. What do you recommend - and for someone on a negligible budget?
Thanks.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 11:03 am
Pilates or yoga for posture, and dance classes or other to become aware of your body - can be jazz, bellydancing, etc.

yo'ma

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 11:46 am
The simplest method would be to walk around in your house balancing a book on your head Smile .

louche

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 11:52 am
yo'ma wrote:
The simplest method would be to walk around in your house balancing a book on your head Smile .

Not really. All that takes is a flat crown. You can do this and still have terrible posture or walk with your head tilted at an odd angle. I should know. I am infamous for walking around balancing things on my head, but my posture stinks.

I second CM's suggestions: classes in activities like yoga and various forms of dance. plus practicing movement in front of a mirror, perhaps while imagining that you are being watched by someone you really want to impress.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 11:55 am
Yoga and/or pilates. Many people with bad posture tend to have weak back muscles. Yoga works on strengthening those muscles.

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 11:56 am
If you can afford, there are classes for that, individually or by group.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 12:27 pm
For the younger set, gymnastics helps develop a sense of body awareness and grace in children.

I sent my older DD to gymnastics because she is very graceful and flexible, and I thought it would be something she'd excel in (she did.)

Then my younger DD was dying to go too, so I sent her. She was the type who'd bump into a wall, not look where she was going...I thought I was wasting my $$, but...lo and behold, it was just what the doctor ordered. She lost her clumsiness, and learned to do all these neat things, like flips and springs and cartwheels....and she became more graceful in the process, even if she doesn't have her sister's natural talent.

Wish their klutzy mother would be able to do it (fat chance!)

louche

Post Tue, May 25 2010, 1:07 pm
If you're talking about a kid bumping into walls and tripping over things, step #1 is to get the eyesight checked. Seriously. Young children don't know their eyesight is bad but assume everyone else sees the way they do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics