Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Montreal
Previous  1  2  3

Tila

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 7:10 pm
BCM college is HARDER than TAV. Same teachers tho. At BCM they take it seriouslt. and at TAV they do it mostly for the govt buursaries. The teachers are the same. I graduate this semester from bcm!

Emee

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 7:17 pm
what does bcm stand for

Here is TAV's info

Torah And Vocational Institute Of Montreal
6445 Boul Décarie, Montréal H3W 3E1, Quebec

p: 5147312296

Tila

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 1:04 pm
BCM= Bais Chaya Mushka 514 733 3777 ask for Judy.

Yael

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 9:34 pm
chesky's is in the chassidish area.
tav is not there, but I think BCM does have some classes in that area. I know bais yaakov (halfway between chassidish and lubavitch areas) also has a program

I think that these programs are considered cegep. you do get a DEC or A?C from them.

is "carte soleil" a medicare card? if so you need to have some sort of status in canada to get it. either a working permit, or in the process of getting permanent residence (which can take a year) I think I got my selection certificate about 6 months after I moved in, which is what I needed to get medicare.
its possible I only got it that fast b/c I was pregnant, but its entirely likely that it was for everyone anyway.

are you in Toronto now? b/c you should already have medicare if you are.

Marion

Post Thu, Mar 05 2009, 2:44 am
pgk wrote:
AFAIK from my friends who have been there and done that, maternity leave does not pay only 50-55% it's more like 80%

Maybe the province gives a "universal top up" then, because in Ontario (and everywhere else in Canada that I know of) EI is only 55% on maternity leave. Various employers give top ups for various amount and lengths of time.

Tila

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 1:36 pm
I found out that you need a health reord and a work permit to be able to work with the public. Both cost and take time to recieve. You are not eligable for the medicare or $7 day care until you have been in Que for 18 months. To fill prescritions you need a pediatrician or GP and a good health care plan. I recently ran into to couple who are having a hard time with all the above. School for their kids is in the english sector cuz they are here on a student visa. They are having a tough time trying to get the needed drugs for their son who is adhd, and just ran out of the supply they brought from home (USA). Their youngest child is in private day care cuz $7 does not kick in for another year and a bit. The dad had to get a check up for a health permit and and work permit. The mom too. Set them back by 500. You really have to want to do this.
BCM is ONLY in snowdon. Tav is in outremount or "downtown".

montrealmommy

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 3:37 pm
In response to Tila's post -

If 1 parent/spouse is Canadian then the aforementioned timelines are different (shorter), and if 1 is a quebecois, then the line gets ewven shorter again. What she wrote applies when both spouses are foreigners.

As yes, without coverage, healthcase is extremely expensive! However, there are some Jewish organizaitons that can help you by providing information, support and advocacy - if you would like the contact info, please pm me.

Mommy F.

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 9:47 am
Can someone explain the differences between Hebrew Academy in Montreal and Beis Yaakov/Yeshiva Gedola in Montreal.
Is there anything in between?
Are all the fathers from the Yeshiva Gedola black hat and yeshivish or are there some more modern working non kollel families there?
Does Hebrew Academy have mostly sephardi students these days?
Are all the students very modern? Or do they also have some yeshivish black hat families?

Emee

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 8:14 am
Does anyone have current pricing for a 4 bedroom house in Outremont? Both to rent and to buy? Also is the $7 daycare still in effect?
What are class sizes in Belz and Skver?

In the kitchen

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 8:18 am
Belz no longer accepts anyone who isn't Belz because they have no space.
$7 day care is still in effect.
Renting a 4 bedroom house in Outremont would be at least 2,000 at a bergain price.
Buying I am not as sure...most things start at 500,000 for two bedrooms and one bathroom.

Hatzlocha

Strictlycurls

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 10:25 am
Mommy F. wrote:
Can someone explain the differences between Hebrew Academy in Montreal and Beis Yaakov/Yeshiva Gedola in Montreal.
Is there anything in between?
Are all the fathers from the Yeshiva Gedola black hat and yeshivish or are there some more modern working non kollel families there?
Does Hebrew Academy have mostly sephardi students these days?
Are all the students very modern? Or do they also have some yeshivish black hat families?

Hebrew Academy is co-ed till high school. Most of the students aren't very religious. The girls wear shorter than knee length skirts etc. I heard its a good school academically, but not in the frum aspect. I don't think most of the students are sephardi... Most sephardi kids with that type of background will go to Maimonides or Bialik (also officially Jewish, but not religious schools.) which are French-speaking.
I don't think there are any in between schools.... except maybe Beth Rivkah which is chabad, but you'll find all different types of students there.
BY and YG are frum environments, but you still have all types of people that go. You'll definitely find working families.

Last edited by Strictlycurls on Tue, Jun 01 2010, 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Laughing Bag!

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 11:01 am
Tila wrote:
I found out that you need a health reord and a work permit to be able to work with the public. Both cost and take time to recieve. You are not eligable for the medicare or $7 day care until you have been in Que for 18 months. To fill prescritions you need a pediatrician or GP and a good health care plan. I recently ran into to couple who are having a hard time with all the above. School for their kids is in the english sector cuz they are here on a student visa. They are having a tough time trying to get the needed drugs for their son who is adhd, and just ran out of the supply they brought from home (USA). Their youngest child is in private day care cuz $7 does not kick in for another year and a bit. The dad had to get a check up for a health permit and and work permit. The mom too. Set them back by 500. You really have to want to do this.
BCM is ONLY in snowdon. Tav is in outremount or "downtown".

This is not entirely true once you give in your immigration papers and get accepted to Quebec you get a form that can get you the Medicare just like anyone. that can take ~1/2 year depending on the proccessing of your papers.

Laughing Bag!

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 11:33 am
ok I've got to give some of my two cense here. Montreal is not as bad as people make it! I lived there untill recently moved b/c my husband wanted to be closer to his rebbe.This is a real hard one when someone is used tol live with HIS CHASSIDUS... you dont get it in Mtl if you're from a small chassidus like me. However the schools there are all pretty good ,ALL LEARN FRENCH some more than others depending if the're registered as an English / French school. Even SAtmar which doesnt get Gov Subsidies Learn ALOT of french. The housing is high just like anywhere else. The sallary pay is More than 10$ as a teacher /assistant you start with 11+$ going up every year (starts more if you have experience /degree...) Substitutes get a low of 12.50$/hr. However Taxes do go down from your check. The people in Montreal I found to be more freindly than in BP Sorry to say but I dont know my neighbors here im living here almost a year. I dont htink that happens in montreal I say it as a MONTREALER.
someone wrote about the Pitzus there shes right However B/c Montrealers are used to being aroud it WE REALLY DONT SEE IT. there were things my husband say while he had to show me what it was that was bothering him. When his siblings came to visit it was the same.However with Bochurim its unlikely to see them in the real bad parts as parents and the boys themeselves try to whach their eyes however they wouldnt see it as much as soeone who isnt used to it does.

If any one considders Tosh its 20 min away and one track minded so only if you really Belong therte would you like it.and rent isnt much cheaper there if you can find an appartment.

I would like to wish anyone and everyone who wants to move there good luck and enjoy!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating