Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
She wants to wear makeup!

momtomany

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 1:43 pm
My almost 5 yr old dd likes to wear makeup and nailpolish.
she's my only dd so naturally I enjoy making her girly, so I let when she asks.
My question is, at what point or at what age should I stop this?
also how often is normal?

if she wants to wear lipstick every morning to school b/c it makes her feel pretty should I let her?
if she wants to wear nailpolish all the time, at what point do I say no more?

The only makeup I let her wear is the lipstick and some eye shadow. I've tried telling her its only for special days, or shabbos, but then she finds me a reason why every day is a special day.
she's very cute, I just wonder how other mothers handle this.

Strictlycurls

Post Mon, May 31 2010, 3:33 pm
I would buy her special "lipstick" aka, chapstick just for her! (Like a cherry/red flavored one..)

Also try explaining to her that make-up is for grown-ups. And that sometimes too much makeup isn't pretty at all, and a natural look can be gorgeous! (less is more in a preschoolers situation..)

As for nail polish... umm.. do her classmates wear it too? It wouldn't be fair not to let her if they do. Some schools don't even let the girls wear it. Maybe just stick to pale colors.

louche

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 1:45 pm
Lipstick? Maybe for dress-up/fantasy play and not "for real". Purim, class plays, fine.
Nail polish? Eh. pale colors or clear, not too terrible, for special occasions. Special occasons being an aunt's wedding, not Tuesday. Eye shadow on a 5-year old? Are you crazy?

The fault is yours. You admit yourself you enjoy naking her "girly". What you're doing is making her tarty, not girly. Girly is pink hair ribbons, curly pigtails and ruffled dresses with lace. Not lipstick and certainly not eyeshadow.

You're sending mixed messages. The first, that painting herself makes her look pretty, is the one you're sending most strongly. The other message that you're trying to send by telling her she's pretty without makeup, is verbal and very feeble. YOU enjoy painting her (why?) , and she clearly senses that. Actions speak louder than words.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 1:49 pm
I don't see what the problem is. Many of my friends daughters went through a similar phase around the same age. My friend used to paint her daughter's nails whenever she'd paint her own. Some even had sons that wanted to put on nail polish!

Like another poster said, give her a lighter shade of lipstick or light gloss to wear.

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 2:08 pm
I would not allow a five year old to wear makeup. A little bit of lip gloss, once in the blue moon is okay, but lipstick? Unless it's Purim or maybe a wedding, no.
About nail polish, although I look at it differently than I do makeup, I would reserve that only for special occasions--holiday, parties...

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 2:21 pm
I saw a baby - in a carriage - in shul on yomtov, with toenail polish. Clearly some mothers DO do these things.

shevi82

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 2:53 pm
Before I light Shabbos candles I let my dd (6) put on some lipstick, the problem starts when my ds (4) "also wants some"...

Barbara

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 3:02 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I saw a baby - in a carriage - in shul on yomtov, with toenail polish. Clearly some mothers DO do these things.

As a guess -- big sister.

Lots of little girls go through this stage. I'd buy her a lip balm to play lipstick with every day (I distinctly remember by brother yelling at me when I was little that he *needed* the lip balm for his dry lips, while I just wanted to play lipstick with it). And I'd let her play with makeup when she plays dress up, with the understanding that its washed off when playtime is over.

Nail polish is a lot more *done* at this age than I remember from when I was a kid. There are always mother-daughter pairs at the nail salon when I go. For whatever that's worth.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 3:52 pm
Barbara wrote:

As a guess -- big sister.

Uh-uh. She's got two older brothers.

As an aside, my daughter had Makeup Barbie, you knwo the big head that you can style the hair and put makeup on? She loved that. She also liked playing with bath crayons.

Does any of that h elp you ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers