Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Purim Mishloach Manot Themes
1  2  3  4  Next

Didi

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 8:18 pm
With Purim right around the corner, anyone have any intresting Mishloach Manot themes that they would like to share?

Motek

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 8:34 pm
and posters can also write harangues against Purim themes and how, in the alte heim, there was no such thing, and years ago there was just a paper plate with some hamentashen etc. and what is the world coming to ... 8)

yehudis

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 9:08 pm
On the positive side of things Smile, I noticed that with each year people are becoming more and more health-conscious, so there is less junk in the shalach manos.

Motek

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 9:11 pm
you call that POSITIVE?

oy Rolling Eyes

you can't 'fargin' one day a year of nosh? Wink

yehudis

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 9:15 pm
One day? The amount of junk we used to get was enough for three months! Smile

Rochel Leah

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 10:08 pm
Last year we dressed our 9 month old as a pizza delivery boy ( REd pants, Red nad white stripped shirt, REd cap and REd"shoes") and our shalach manos was in pizza box. In it we put parave pizza, pizza wheels,a juice box and a candy.
On the box we wrote: Wishing a PurIm Samayach eZZpecialy to your And your family
there are alot of cute ideas..chinese theme, give a bag of lettuce, baby carrots adn dressing in salad bowl from dollar sore nad write on the note: "Let-us" celebrate purim in happineess and joy.
I am really tired so cant think of more, but I am sure that there are alot of other ideas out there.....

amother

Post Wed, Jan 26 2005, 12:38 am
While we are on this topic could I please point out that every year I absolutely CRINGE when I hear people greeting "Simchas Purim" and see it in print as well
It drives me mad. what does it mean anyway? I'll tell you. it means "the happiness of Purim!"
Is this a greeting??????????
Plllllllllease please
If you want to speak in Hebrew then its "Purim Sameach"
In yiddish " A Freilichin Purim"
in English "Happy Purim"
Russian "Visyuli Purim"

Even on Simchas Torah we don't wish people "Simchas Torah" It doesn't make any sense.

Please pass this on so that maybe my teeth will be less on edge this Purim

sarahd

Post Wed, Jan 26 2005, 3:55 am
I would like to harangue on the inyan of people giving store bought stuff that if I wanted it I would get it myself (and who really wants wafer rolls and such anyhow). What happened to the olden days of women sending homemade stuff and showing their culinary skills? I know, people work and don't have time. Still, it's much more meaningful to get something prepared with love than the contents of someone's shopping cart. On the positive side, at least we get to play the "pass on as much stuff as you can and the guy with the least junk left by Motzai Purim wins" game without feeling guilty about passing off someone else's chocolate cake as your own.

curlyhead

Post Wed, Jan 26 2005, 5:22 am
strore bought stuff with a good hashgacha could be safer since not everyone eats from everyone's homes. It is harder on Purim when you don't always know whose home it is from

sarahd

Post Wed, Jan 26 2005, 6:17 am
You have a point, although I have never had a problem not knowing from whom I receive mishloach manos.

yehudis

Post Wed, Jan 26 2005, 11:35 am
sarahd wrote:
You have a point, although I have never had a problem not knowing from whom I receive mishloach manos.

Just wait till your son gets older Smile.

Seriously, I try not to send home-made stuff, because I don't want people to throw it out when it gets mixed up with the other shalach manos and they wouldn't know who it is from. Or even if they know who it's from, but they don't really know me (like someone from shul who doesn't really know us well).

gryp

Post Wed, Jan 26 2005, 11:50 am
I have no patience for thinking up themes each purim. I just like giving a nice shalach manos wrapped up nice, with lots of good things in it. and since my husbands a teacher, we get shalach manos from each one of his students. it is really fun because each one gets dressed up and is a little shy to come to the Rebbi's house. sometimes they like to take pictures too. most of the shalach manos we give is to these kids, but those are more like birthday party bags, and a few more big ones for friends and relatives. for the adults we give to, I do bake small cakes or kugels and label them- ie, our name, and flieshig/milchig/pareve keilim. last year I bought a hamantashen mold and made chocolates and put a few of them in every shalach manos as a "filler." I also put in a few of my own hamantashen labelled, because they taste much better than the stores. I know not everyone can trust what comes from peoples houses, so if they eat it good, and if not, they can throw it out.

Purim is also my favorite Yom Tov because most of the time its my birthday (but not this year).

about "simchas purim," ive always wondered about that, but the labels you buy in the store say it...

zuncompany

Post Wed, Jan 26 2005, 1:45 pm
I liked doing fun things. Usually though I just get creative with my container, but no real themes. I would love to do a theme though. I bake everything myself and label everything. I only send homemade goodies though to people who I know trust us. Than again- everyone we are close with does! MY frustration is with the people who send us chalov stam. Its not an unknown fact that we keep chalov yisroel. I make sure to use yoshon flour in my baked goods for them... urg.

Sara

amother

Post Wed, Jan 26 2005, 11:49 pm
Quote:
about "simchas purim," ive always wondered about that, but the labels you buy in the store say it...

RG I know but its still incorrect

sarahd

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 4:24 am
My sister came up with one fairly (by our family's standards Smile ) creative theme about 15 years ago and has stuck with it since then. She sends a container of colorful marinated vegetable salad with a package of crackers. She says people like it and wait for it, but my b-I-l says he's embarrassed already to bring the same thing year after year. No problem, says my sister, if you can come up with something that's as cheap and easy as this, I'll be glad to change.

Last year my 15 year old nephew says, "Ma, I came up with a great new idea! How about a colorful marinated vegetable salad...."

My brother in law: "...with a package of crackers!!!!" LOL

My sister thought that was a great idea and did it! Very Happy

rydys

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 8:07 am
We give very simple shalach manos--usually a fruit, a bag of chips and some candies. When we first got married we decided to keep the shalach manos simple (everyone gets more than enough food to last through pesach anyway!) and give the money we save to increase our matanos leevyonim.

On my block, many families have "signature" shalach manos. one family gives homemade compote and pinwheel cookies every year. Everyone looks forward to these bec. they know what is coming.

Anny

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 11:39 am
I am big on reusing the junk -

we buy a bottle of wine and a box of chocolates (or bake a small cake, wrapped & signed - parev/ yoshon) for Rabbis, Morahs & such.

we also buy few 'nice' stuffers.

For kids' friends we get fruits & somewhat healthy candy.

We get the Rabbi's michloah manot ready, and also a few 'genreic' packs. Get into the car & have lots of fun.

I have a box with supplies, tape & sissors in the car & re-shuffle as we go.

We keep only home-made and special stuff (chocolates, good wines, etc).

So we save $ and minimise the junk.

We also make a separate special Mishloah Manot for bochurim who come to us for seudos - they usually don't have extra $ & are not given mishloah manos unless they bring something to a Baal HaBait & get one in return.

Tefila

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 11:44 am
Twisted Evil Now a question expecting an honest answer
How many of you who get shloach manos take out some stuff from ones recieved to give out to others?......... And I won't believe I am the only one p.s. no shocked icons please! Very Happy

And since we get more then 2 shloach manos so you can just imagine!!! Tongue Out

gryp

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 11:47 am
of course we do that. otherwise it would all last until shavous instead of just pesach. and the wine we get always lasts until chanukah... Smile

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 1:23 pm
don't worry freilich, you're not the only one! why let all that stuff that YOU (and your family) don't like go to waste- pass it on to someone else- maybe Question they'll like it! we definitely do that w/ things we can't eat (like non cholov yisroel stuff we get)

I was thinking of doing a baby theme this year, since I'm B"EH expecting 2 weeks before purim. the only thing I came up with is buying those snack bags of baby carrots. I have yet to do a themed shalach manos, so it probably won't end up happening this year, either Sad
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics