Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby gets bored!!!
Previous  1  2

southernbubby

Post Sun, May 28 2006, 10:17 pm
When my grandchildren are bored, I sing to them on the phone or in person.

amother

Post Sun, May 28 2006, 11:02 pm
Motek wrote:
Shimmysmom wrote:
for a first time mom every age seems hard until u get the hang of it and you are always worried that u r doing something wrong.

speak for yourself!

my point was not to be mean but to express outrage when parents project adult feelings on to their babies which then leads to over-entertaining them which then leads to children who have been taught to be bored who are not pleasant children to be around. Sad for the children. Sad

There are nicer ways to say things

Jo

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 5:39 am
I think you are sometimes a bit too harsh Motek and you could find other ways to state your opinion without putting the other poster down and making them feel inadequate. I actually thought this when I read your original reply but didn't say anything cuz I thought maybe it was me reading to much into it. Now I see that others had the same impression........
Try putting yourself in the place of the person reading what you write and imagine how it might come across.

As a first time mum, I also felt that my baby was 'bored' and frustrated at around the 6 month mark and did find it quite a difficult stage, so I do see where Mindy is coming from. I know that it will get harder but that doesn't help a mum who is finding the stage that she is at at the moment difficult to deal with. I am sure that some babies are more challenging than others.

Now at the age of 2 my son is much better at entertaining himself and is usually a pleasant kid to be around, (unless he is teething or tired etc when he is not so pleasant.)

Thinking that a baby needs more stimulation does not automatically lead to them being overstimulated and needing more and more entertainment.

morningstar

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 6:37 am
If you have a carrier that your baby likes, you can have your hands free and carry your baby with you for long periods during the day.
Also, try to let your baby play on her tummy for as long as possible, even if she protests. Yes, this position is more work for baby than lying on her back: the baby needs to lift her head and upper body to reach things. This is very important for her physical development.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 8:37 am
My babies were starting to crawl at that age, (five months) rocking back and forth for a bit, and getting ready for several weeks. Once they got going and crawling they were entertaining themselves, but before that they got frustrated trying to get to the places they wanted to go. They had this cute way of kvetching when they were frustrated.

Doctors nowadays are telling parents to to put the child to sleep on their back or side, so some babies get delayed because they aren't on their tummy enough. They are turning over, crawling and sitting up later because of that, so perhaps their mental development is outpacing their physical, which must be frustrating for them.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 4:34 pm
I repeat. When babies hit the age where they sleep less, dont want to stay in their infant seats, but can't sit or crawl yet, they are bored. I had a preemie so at six months he could barely roll over. I remedied that by buying a high chair that I could attach toys to, putting him in the hop n pop to jump, and letting him watch little people dvds sometimes.

MommyLuv

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 5:15 pm
when my baby was that age, she loved sitting in my sling carrier facing out, and I used it for everything: housework, walking outside, shopping....from her vantage point on my hip, the world was an exciting place and she learned so much just from spending time close to me. she'd just sit there, following my every move, and I chatted with her as I went along. sometimes babies seem like they're bored but they may really be just learning from their environment,taking it all in, checking everything out. babies need to be interacted with-their favorite toy is a three letter word starting with M.

btw, she also liked the exersaucer but only for like 10 minutes at a time, til she figured out how to crawl..and then she was in seventh heaven going places!! LOL

southernbubby

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 7:42 pm
My youngest, who was premature, had gotten very accustomed to constant entertainment. He was unhappy when the time came to say "entertain yourself, Buster!". If a baby can play by himself that is great but the attention span at that age is very limited.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 8:16 pm
my baby (5 months) needs a change of place often too. I guess he gets bored. I don't constantly entertain him. I just move him from the hop n pop, to the bouncer, to the floor, to my lap....

Motek

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 8:58 am
I sure am glad that an experienced mother (of twins plus many more! kein ayin hara) like Tefila agrees with me.

I am too aware of the consequences of this mistaken, though well-intentioned view that mothers have about boredom re their children. We, the frum world collectively, are suffering from it more and more.

gryp

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 5:51 pm
What does a baby do when he gets bored?
what are the symptoms of boredom?
restlessness? crankiness? anything else?

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 6:55 pm
Rebbitzen Kazen always advises mothers to let babies play by themselves but my babies seemed to have "my number" and let me know when they felt that they were getting lousy service. I must have somehow conveyed to them that I was willing and eager to play and entertain. When there are older children, they are usually willing to entertain babies. I don't know if boredom is the correct word. It may be somewhat of a conditioned response in a baby. He cries and someone comes to jolly him.
Babies are always testing to see what kind of response they get. Babies may need a change of position or to have the mother in view and I think that is fine. She can sing to the baby or talk to him while she uses her hands for her work.

Tefila

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 8:07 pm
Quote:
restlessness? crankiness? anything else?

Huh your baby don't say "mummy I'm bored" shock :

happymom

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 8:27 pm
Quote:
Motek wrote:
Six months is a very hard age?! They are bored?!

heaven help us

motek u make me laugh!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 11:11 pm
I change my baby's position because he starts fussing and/or crying. should I just leave him? does it mean he needs to constantly be held? I just move him from the bouncer to the hop n pop and he starts smiling. I don't think that means he's going to need constant entertainment. he just needs a change of scenery.

Motek

Post Thu, Jun 01 2006, 1:39 pm
good happymom Very Happy

Another brilliant idea is to have an activity tray attached to your stroller, because after all, the changing scenery, colors, people, get really boring after a while ... (yes, sarcastic)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics