Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Convertible Car Seat - Which One?

supermommy86

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 6:35 pm
My DD is just nearing 32 inches - which means that I will not be able to use my Grago Snugride 32 anymore. She is ready for a convertible car seat but I'm not sure what to get. I have a 2002 Nissan Altima and I don't want to end up buying something that doesn't fit into my car! Please help Smile

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Jun 08 2010, 7:05 pm
Does she still need to be rear facing?
How old is she? We have a Graco ComfortSport convertible--and love it (had it for 2 years.) it holds up to
40lbs. forward and 30 lbs. backwards.

I thought the snugride 32 meant that it holds 32 lbs., not inches. But of course, a kid that height is way too tall for that car seat anyway....

supermommy86

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 12:10 am
She'll be 1 year in a month. She is 25th percentile for weight and height, so I haven't needed a new carseat until now.
The Snugride 32 goes up to either 32 inches or 32 pounds - whichever comes first. Since DD has grown significantly and is about 32 inches, I'd say its time for a new seat.

Atali

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 12:24 am
Are you sure that she is really 32 inches then? My DD was above the 95th percentile and was not that tall at 11 months.

See what it says here:

http://www.babycenter.com/baby.....lator

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 9:30 am
Even if a baby is not 32 inches, if there is less than 1" between the top of the head and the shell of the carseat, it's time for a new one -- it goes by torso height more than overall height, but most people don't know torso measurements Smile

Your baby should remain RF as long as possible.

What is your budget?
How much does she weigh?
How long can you see yourself keeping her rearfacing?

OheivYisrael

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 1:55 pm
I'm honestly shocked that your DD is 32 inches-- DS has been off the charts mostly, now he's 19 months and 35 inches (95% height).

If your DD has a long torso like mine, I would definitely NOT recommend the ComfortSport. I got it, and regret it terribly. In general, it has the lowest slots around-- and RF, you're only supposed to use the lower 2 of the 3 options. We put DS in at 6 months (he was kicking the backseat and his legs were dangling off of his carrier), and resorted to using the top slots at around 10-11 months because he was just too tall. We turned him around at 12 months bc I didn't like using a setting that's not for RF, and he still outgrew that before 18 months. Now we resigned ourselves to getting something else, so I got the Graco Nautilus since at least I know that will last a long time! When he outgrows that harness, I'll just have to switch to the seatbelt. But what other option do I have?

I recently saw a review of the ComfortSport in "Baby Bargains"-- they give it a D for it's ridiculously low height limit! I have friends who have it and love it, but it just doesn't work for tall children!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 2:12 pm
I wouldn't get the Nauti -- it's only FF.
I would look more for a TrueFit or a Radian if we're dealing with torso length.

OheivYisrael

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 2:15 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I wouldn't get the Nauti -- it's only FF.
I would look more for a TrueFit or a Radian if we're dealing with torso length.
Agreed- I don't recommend the Nautilus for you at this point. If I could do it over, I would get the TrueFit or Recaro. Maybe Britax (although I always feel like it's not worth spending double for the Britax name).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics