Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
2nd Annual Torah Home Education Conference

Happy Mom

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 12:45 pm
I'm posting this here rather than in the Homeschooling section since I know from the many calls I get that there are lots of people who want to know more about homeschooling but aren't homeschoolers. This conference is geared to support those already homeschooling, as well as educating those who want to learn more about home education from a Torah perspective. This is the only opportunity of its kind available anywhere in the country for frum families, and it's only for one day!

The Second Annual Torah Home Education Conference will take place on June 13, 2010. There are childcare options for infants - age 3, a day camp for children ages 4 - 10, and a teen girls get together for ages 11 - 17. It will take place in Baltimore, MD. The schedule and brief bios of speakers are below, if you want more info you can visit http://jewishhomeschooling.wordpress.com or be in touch with one of the contact people listed at the bottom. Please share this with anyone you know who may be interested!

8:15 registration

9 – 9:15 – Introduction – Mrs. Avivah Werner- “The Road Less Traveled”

9:15 – 10:15 -

keynote speaker – Rabbi Daniel Lapin- “And You Shall Teach Them to Your Children – Does it really mean what it says?”

10:25 – 11:15 -

a) Mrs. Susan Lapin – “Life After Homeschooling – What does it look like?”

b) Mrs. Yehudis Eagle – “Teaching Tefilla (Prayer): More than Technicalities”

11:25 – 12:15 – general session - Rabbi Bamberger- “The Challenges In Our Yeshivos”

12:20 – 1:50 Lunch (enjoy fellowship over lunch in the Eating Together Room, browse curriculums in Center for Jewish Education)

1:55 – 2:45 pm -

a) Mrs. Avivah Werner – "Home Education on a Shoestring"

b) Mrs. Chana Lazaroff – "Home Education for the Special Needs Child"

2:55 -3:45 -

a) Dr. Ezra Hendel – "Teaching Chumash and Rashi"

b) Mrs. Malky Adler – "Minimizing Outsider Syndrome (women only)"

3:55 – 4:45 – general session -

Rabbi Simcha Feuerman – "Home Education: The Way of the Future"

4:45 – closing

In alphabetical order is a brief bio of our speakers:

Mrs. Malky Adler is the mother of nine children living in Detroit, MI and has been home educating for six years. Her children range in age from infant through high schoolers. She will talk about the challenges of homeschooling when living in a community that views you as an outsider because of your unusual education choices and how to effectively deal with that.

Rabbi Bamberger is an experienced educator with over 25 years of experience. He has served for five years as a high school principal, teaches ninth grade limudei kodesh,and is the rabbi of a shul in Monsey, NY. He has spoken nationally about various aspects of chinuch. He is now homeschooling his youngest child, and will speak from his experience inside the yeshiva system for two and a half decades about the challenges our schools are facing.

Mrs. Yehudis Eagle is the mother of 11 children, several of whom are grown, and has been homeschooling for over 15 years. She has an integrated and holistic approach to home education, and will speak abouthow to approach tefilla as a home educator.

Dr. Ezra (Russell) Hendel, A.S.A., has taught chumash to homeschooled children from the ages of 5 – 11 and produced over 400 worksheets. He has developed a unique and effective approach to teaching Rashi, is creator of www.rashiyomi.com website, and will give an interactive presentation to help parents teach chumash and Rashi.

Rabbi Daniel Lapin, known world-wide as America’s Rabbi, is a noted rabbinic scholar, best-selling author, and host of the Rabbi Daniel Lapin Show on San Francisco’s KSFO. He is one of America’s most eloquent speakers and his ability to extract life principles from the Bible and transmit them in an entertaining manner has brought countless numbers of Jews and Christians closer to their respective faiths. In 2007 Newsweek magazine included him in its list of America’s fifty most influential rabbis. Rabbi Lapin will be our keynote speaker for the conference and will talk about the Torah view of home education.

Mrs. Susan Lapin now is involved full-time with her husband's business and writing endeavors, after years of homeschooling their seven children. She is a wealth of practical knowledge regarding home education and family life, and is now the grandmother of several children who are being home educated. She will be traveling from Seattle, WA, to share with us her experience and long term perspective on transitioning from home education to schools, yeshivos, seminaries, and college.

Mrs. Chana Lazaroff is the mother of two married daughters and two sons with Down’s Syndrome, ages 12 and 14. She has been home educating them from birth, drawing on her background as an occupational therapist but even more from her ongoing learning about how to help her children reach their potential. She will speak about home education for the special needs child.

Rabbi Simcha Feuerman, LCSW-R maintains a private practice specializing in high conflict couples and families. In addition, he serves as Director of Community Mental Health Services at Ohel, and as President of Nefesh International. He is the author of 2 books, numerous professional articles, and along with his wife, a weekly column in the Jewish Press on matters of family relationships, religion, education and psychology. He has also home educated two of his children and will share about creating a dynamic limudei kodesh curriculum and his belief that home education is the way of the future.

Mrs. Avivah Werner is the founder of the Torah Home Education Conference; founder of J-LIFT, a Baltimore area homeschool group; moderator of Torch-d, international listserve for Orthodox homeschoolers, and frequently blogs about home education at www.oceansofjoy.wordpress.com. She is a veteran home educator of ten years who has written about home education for national and local publication. The oldest of her nine children will be graduating from homeschooling this June. She will share about how to home educate affordably on one income.

For registration – Alisa - apmandel@yahoo.com, or 410-963-2977; or Sara – srayvy@yahoo.com. The advance registration fee is $25 per person, $40 per couple until May 1, 2010. After that, the regular pricing of $50 per person, $90 per couple will apply. So don’t get so busy with Pesach preparations that you miss your chance to save big by registering in advance! You can go to http://jewishhomeschooling.wordpress.com for more details.

Last edited by Happy Mom on Wed, Mar 03 2010, 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seraph

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 1:06 pm
I wanna come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will you be selling mp3s of the lectures this year?

Happy Mom

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 2:06 pm
Yes, mp3s and cds will be available for sale after the conference. But everyone who came last year can vouch for the fact that there's no comparison to being there in person and already we have people flying in from all over the US to attend!

Seraph

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 2:16 pm
Happy Mom wrote:
Yes, mp3s and cds will be available for sale after the conference. But everyone who came last year can vouch for the fact that there's no comparison to being there in person and already we have people flying in from all over the US to attend!
Lol, I won't be flying in from israel. But I still wish I could attend.

Gsanmb

Post Wed, Mar 03 2010, 9:05 pm
Can't wait! I'll be there!!!

Happy Mom

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 2:54 am
The conference is just a few days away and it's so exciting to know that a number of you are coming! Please be sure to come over to me and introduce yourself so I can put your face together with your screen name. We're going to have a very nice sized group and have a fantastic schedule planned for the adults, kids, and teens!

If you'd like to come but haven't registered, you can just come and pay when at the door. (It's taking place on the second floor of the JCC in Baltimore, MD, from 8:15 am - 5 pm.) When you come, you'll learn a lot and go away with plenty of inspiration and encouragement. Several families last year began homeschooling as a result of the confidence they gained from the speakers and other attendees. If you want to learn more about homeschooling, this is the best chance you're going to have for the coming year to access a lot of knowledgeable people in one time, in one place!

amother

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 1:08 pm
I know one of the families mentioned and I can't imagine taking ANY advice from them!
I apologize but I would definitely, if you're planning to attend this, take any information (as I would always suggest) with a grain of salt.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 1:16 pm
I really really wanted to come but cannot figure out how to swing it. Too hard to drive in from NY Motzei Shabbos, and my kids wouldn't sleep anywhere else (and it's late) to drive Erev Shabbos. Oh well, maybe I can buy a CD too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics