Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
My husband will not install our smoke detector!

amother

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 12:45 pm
We moved into a new house in the fall back and recently became aware that the smoke detector does not work (something burned in the microwave oven with A LOT of smoke and the detector did not go off!) My husband went out and bought a new one, yet it still sits on a shelf in a bag (for two months!). The smoke detector may even just need new batteries, but he wont check that either!
I would happily do it myself, however even standng on our ladder I can't reach.
I've explained the fact that it is dangerous. I've simply asked "please can you do this". I've even tried to make deals with him, like "I'll do a project that you would like for me to get done, if you do install the smoke detector." What happens is that my project gets completed and nothing on his part! I'm gotten to the point that I'm scared to fall asleep at night!
My husband is a very busy man, but I am sure he can find ten minutes to do this, he's just not motivated!
What can I do to get him to do this relatively simple task?

red sea

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 12:54 pm
Hiring a paid handyperson to do it usually does the trick. Your family's safety comes above all else and if he does not do it, I'd imagine it can't cost too much to pay someone else to screw in the four screws. In fact he may decide to suddenly do it before the handyman gets there ( Rolling Eyes you know plenty unmotivated men are frugal too) , but even if he doesn't its worth the money for safety's sake.

Last edited by red sea on Mon, Mar 06 2006, 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

SMG

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 12:54 pm
A few thoughts for you-
First of all, I hope you have more than one smoke detector in your house. One is not enough.
How about getting someone (paid) to put up the smoke detector for you. If you're not ready to shell out the money, the estimate of how much it would cost might motivate your dh to do it himself.
Also, smoke detectors do not have to be on the ceiling. Why not install it on a wall, as high up as you are able to reach with the ladder?
This is a big safety concern. Don't let it go any longer just because your husband isn't doing it.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 1:02 pm
tell your husband, that you understand that his time is bvalueable, and since you know how hard pressed for time he is, you will be asking XYZ's husband if he would mind installing the smoke detector for you. I guarantee, he will suddenly have time to do it. Occassionally we all need a little pushing.

I realize this is a very blunt tactic, if you don't like the blunt approach, then simply set the ladder in middle of the kitchen along with a screwdriver and batteries and unpack the smoke detector. let your husband walk around the ladder until he gets the point.

If he doesn't get the point, climb up on the ladder and make loud noises while trying to reach the smoke detector. Wave the screwdriver around a bit. ther bigger the production, the better the results!

realeez

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 1:54 pm
SMG wrote:
Why not install it on a wall, as high up as you are able to reach with the ladder?

that's what I was thinking.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 2:00 pm
Wouldn't they work even if the batteries were just installed and the thing was left ouit?

daisy

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 3:25 pm
SaraG wrote:
Wouldn't they work even if the batteries were just installed and the thing was left ouit?

yes it does Wink

shopaholic

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 4:30 pm
The smoke detector at the front of our house sits on top of a bookshelf, because dh never got around to naling it in. It will work fine wherever I is, so just put it up high someplace.

hardwrknmom

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 7:05 pm
Its a real quick thing to put up. I suggest you call someone to do it for you (your neighbor's husband etc).

Btw do you have carbon monoxide alarm up too?

happymom

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 7:26 pm
did u ask him why he doesnt want to do it?

lucky

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 10:21 am
Careful about the ideas you are giving.It may affect her Sholom Bayis(sarcastic) Or maybe she should ask a Rav what she should do...

faigie

Post Sun, Jun 04 2006, 9:45 am
install it yourself. I used double sided velcro for my carbon monoxide alarm. a few long strips and it stuck up there like a charm.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics