Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Husband served Milchig margarine with Fleishig meal!!
Previous  1  2  3

Chocoholic

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 9:32 pm
It was a mistake. We all make mistakes. Next time check better!

Also, check if it really contained dairy. Somethings are OU-D but aren't really D (for example, oreo cookies).

Chocoholic

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 9:43 pm
always, always check... the kosher isle at our local supermarket has a small selection of pasta sauces from a certain brand, and recently I spotted a nonkosher one stocked there as well.... containing chazzer and obviously w/o hechsher so you really need to check

louche

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 11:24 pm
Chocoholic wrote:

Also, check if it really contained dairy. Somethings are OU-D but aren't really D (for example, oreo cookies).

Right. because (U) does not have a DE (dairy equipment) designation. it's either fully pareve or it gets a dairy designation.

louche

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 11:26 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Smart Balance brand is a hard one, in general. Bc the same item in a different size can be OU-D while the other is OU parve.

Then why are otherwise intelligent kosher balabostes buying it?

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 11:36 pm
louche wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

Right. because (U) does not have a DE (dairy equipment) designation. it's either fully pareve or it gets a dairy designation.

Yea, we checked. It has whey (less than 2%)

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sun, Jun 13 2010, 11:43 pm
louche wrote:
Not to make anyone feel bad here, BUT....
Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

what's with the milchik margarine? I must have been all of seven and my mother sent me to the grocery for a few items. She told me "Never buy milchik margarine, it's too easy to make a mistake." And so I have never bought milchik margarine, but even so I never served margarine with fleishik meals. One margarine in the house, and everyone knew it was for milchik use.

Nor would I dream of buying a milchik salad dressing. With all the varieties of pareve salad dressings on the market, we can live without buttermilk ranch. Everything milchik in our house is unmistakable: milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream. I refuse to have in the house anything that's normally pareve that has some hidden milchik ingredients: no milchik breakfast cereals or cookies or sour cream-flavored potato chips, thank you. Why make life any more complicated than it has to be?

Louche-
the point is we NEVER buy the milchig margarine- we always buy the pareve stuff (Smart Balance makes both milchig and pareve). We know the tub margarine is pareve for use at fleishig meals, and the sticks are either stick margarine for cooking pareve, or butter, but they are easily distinguished.

This time, my husband happened to pick up the milchig stuff when he intended to buy the pareve stuff.

Here, look at these. Except for the difference in size, can you see how it would be confusing if you are in a rush

http://www.dietsinreview.com/d.....e.jpg
http://www.new-nutrition.com/n.....e.gif
http://content.costco.com/Imag.....b.jpg
http://I.walmartimages.com/i/p.....0.jpg

Zus

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 10:46 am
Such mistakes are soooo easy to make!
I once accidentally bought the fleishik soup powder in stead of the parve one. The difference is too small!
Thankfully the worst thing that happened with it was that I served it to DH, who is a vegetarian. No kashrut mix ups B"H.

Barbara

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 11:03 am
amother wrote:
We were married 4 months when I came down with an awful cold. Dh made me chicken soup from a can. He looked at the label which said OU-P. Thinking the "P" stood for pareve, he put it in a milchig bowl. (Not sure why he thought chicken soup was pareve!) He proudly served me the soup in a fancy china dairy bowl and I was like "WHAT! The P stands for Passover!! Since china couldn't be kashered, we thought everything was messed up...the bowl, the plastic serving spoon, the pot. He called OU who said it was fine....there is not enough actual chicken in the soup to mess everything up!

Did they actually say that there was ANY meat in it? Because that's not my understanding of what the OU designation, without more, means. See http://www.oukosher.org/index....../2576

In particular:

[quote]An ‘OU-P’ indicates
The product is Pareve and Kosher for Passover as well as for year-around.[/]

Any product certified by OU that contains meat will very clearly be labeled as such -- OU-Glatt or OU-M (I've never actually seen the latter).

You bought fake broth, and your husband did nothing wrong.

louche

Post Mon, Jun 14 2010, 11:16 am
Barbara wrote:

Any product certified by OU that contains meat will very clearly be labeled as such -- OU-Glatt or OU-M (I've never actually seen the latter).

I am looking at a can of manischewitz chicken broth. It says (U)P and right under it, Meat. The whole word spelled out, not (U)M, which does not exist because it could easily be taken as meaning "Milchik". However, I recall a time when chicken broth did NOT have a Meat designation. It was taken for granted that if it was labeled "Chicken broth" one would know it was fleishik. Could be they created the meat designation because they got one too many complaints from people who assumed the P meant Pareve, not Pesach. They also did not always have a Fish designation, which they now have on items that are not obviously fish. On Worcestershire sauce containing anchovies, yes; on Meal Mart Salmon Dinner, no.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen