Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Dry vs. Active Yeast

queen

Post Tue, Sep 06 2005, 5:46 pm
Would like to bake a specific recipe for Challah, but recipe calls for active yeast. Can I substitue dry packets without ruining the recipe?

My recipe calls for 5 lbs of flour/active yeast. So I thought I'd find a recipe that uses 5 lbs flour, and DRY yeast... and exchange.

Would that work??!?????

Tovah

Post Tue, Sep 06 2005, 8:45 pm
I've done it and it worked

queen

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 9:33 pm
thanks Tova!

Tefila

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 10:29 pm
Dry yeast works just fine Exclamation

queen

Post Fri, Sep 16 2005, 3:59 pm
Here's my challah saga from today!

Firstly, as you all know- I love feeding the freezer.... so one batch of challah for me lasts as long as 3 or 4 months. anyhow- I messed up right at the beginning Sad My mother wasn't so certain I had messed up however I didn't want to risk it and chose to rather begin again.

So out I went to buy more challah flour, and active yeast. bakery wouldn't sell me less than 1 lb. I only needed 4 ounces. (1 lb. cost $5.50)

it will last about 3 weeks in my fridge, but I don't plan on making more challah any time soon.

WHAT ELSE CAN I DO WITH 12 OUNCES OF ACTIVE YEAST???????

Tefila

Post Fri, Sep 16 2005, 7:17 pm
Lots queen, make a strudelach donate some to u'r local shul for kiddush, kreplach dough, pie crust. etc Open a recipe book and u'll see there will be lots to keep u busy. Tongue Out
and
Quote:
so one batch of challah for me lasts as long as 3 or 4 months

I thought I made alot of challah dough lasting 4 one month. but you 3-4 months ka"h Smile what bowl is that big ? Kol hakovod to u since what a job and what a mess Twisted Evil

TzenaRena

Post Sat, Sep 17 2005, 11:31 pm
queen wrote:
bakery wouldn't sell me less than 1 lb. I only needed 4 ounces. (1 lb. cost $5.50)

That's surprising. I pay $1.00 for a lb. of fresh yeast, in one block.

queen

Post Sun, Sep 18 2005, 11:42 am
SaraYehudis wrote:
queen wrote:
bakery wouldn't sell me less than 1 lb. I only needed 4 ounces. (1 lb. cost $5.50)

You're lucky..... in lakewood bakery, they charge .99¢ for half a pound.
A friend told me yesterday to get from a diff. bakery, that sells a pound of active yeast for $1.75!!!

SaraYehudis- your place still sells it the cheapest! (what do YOU do with the rest?)

queen

Post Sun, Sep 18 2005, 11:46 am
freilich wrote:
Quote:
so one batch of challah for me lasts as long as 3 or 4 months

I thought I made alot of challah dough lasting 4 one month. but you 3-4 months ka"h Smile what bowl is that big ? Kol hakovod to u since what a job and what a mess Twisted Evil

Using my Basch, I place entire 5 lb bag of flour w/ rest of ingredients into one bowl. I then leave it to sit 1.5 hours to rise in same mixing bowl.... and then turn on machine to do the second kneading for me, before removing the dough- all ready for braiding/shaping to begin.

Freilich- I make smaller sized challahs as we're not a big family like you!!!! However I always DO make some big challahs for when we are having a lot of guests.

chen

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 5:45 pm
First, clarify your terms. the dry granular type is called "active dry" and the refrigerated kind that comes in blocks is called "fresh' or "compressed".

Active dry yeast can be stored in the freezer for a very long time. my freezer is not especially good and I have used yeast that was stored there for at least 2 years. (Yeast is not chometz and does not have to be sold with the chometz, but I do wrap it up for pesach.) all you need to do to test if it's still alive is dissolve a teaspoon or so in a glass of warm water with half a teaspoon of sugar. if it froths up, it's alive and usable.

1 cake (0.6 oz.) compressed yeast = 1 envelope or 1 scant tablespoon active dry. fresh or active dry work equally well.

Post Mon, Oct 31 2005, 3:24 pm
what are the advantages of fresh yeast over dry yeast?

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Nov 03 2005, 6:21 pm
queen wrote:
SaraYehudis wrote:
queen wrote:

You're lucky..... in lakewood bakery, they charge .99¢ for half a pound.
A friend told me yesterday to get from a diff. bakery, that sells a pound of active yeast for $1.75!!!

SaraYehudis- your place still sells it the cheapest! (what do YOU do with the rest?)

the rest, well since it's so cheap, I don't feel like I'm throwing my money out, when I have to throw it out cause there's green fuzz on it two weeks later. I feel like I at least got my money's worth. And I do use it for at least two subsequent weeks, and sometimes get out of it, besides the challah batches, some kokosh batches too. (After I open the package- just some wax paper really - I repack it in foil and a ziploc sandwich bag.)

chen

Post Fri, Nov 04 2005, 2:21 pm
SaraYehudis wrote:
some kokosh batches too.

recipe, please! Smile

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Jun 04 2006, 9:15 pm
queen wrote:
Here's my challah saga from today!

Firstly, as you all know- I love feeding the freezer.... so one batch of challah for me lasts as long as 3 or 4 months. anyhow- I messed up right at the beginning Sad My mother wasn't so certain I had messed up however I didn't want to risk it and chose to rather begin again.

So out I went to buy more challah flour, and active yeast. bakery wouldn't sell me less than 1 lb. I only needed 4 ounces. (1 lb. cost $5.50)

it will last about 3 weeks in my fridge, but I don't plan on making more challah any time soon.

WHAT ELSE CAN I DO WITH 12 OUNCES OF ACTIVE YEAST???????

You can freeze yeast. My mom buys a lb. cuts it up in 16 1 oz pieces and puts them in the freezer, It works fine. It goes bad in the fridge.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jun 04 2006, 9:30 pm
you can make cinnamon buns....garlic or french bread for rosh chodesh...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen