Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Can you shed some light on the "DE" designation?

Boys"R"Us

Post Mon, Jun 05 2006, 12:34 am
I was brought up being told that "DE" (dairy equipment), meant that the food in question was considered pareve. My Father always said that if it was really milchig, it would say "D". My DH (BT), is not comfortable with this and does not want to serve something with a "DE" after a fleishig meal.

Does anyone know more about this?

TIA,
Debbie

ButterflyGarden

Post Mon, Jun 05 2006, 12:45 am
DE is parve. The problem lies not with eating it while fleishig, it is with eatting it with fleishig. So you could take a cake that's DE and after your meat meal, clear the table, make a lechaim and then serve it. You could not serve it while people are eatting the meat still. It's the same as being parve but cooked on milk or meat pans.

mumsy23

Post Mon, Jun 05 2006, 12:49 am
food that is DE, means dairy equipment and not dairy. Obviously if it were dairy, there would be no reason to write DE on it. DE does not mean the food is pareve. Pareve food can be eaten with either fleishig or milchigs. Food cooked in dairy equipment (I.e. parve cake that was baked in a milchig pan) cannot be served or eated with fleishigs, however, one may eat something that was cooked in dairy equipment AFTER fleishigs.

Your husband may be uncomfortable with it because he is not sure of the halachos. It is mush easier to be machmir when you are unsure of what is halachakly acceptable. It is much harder to actually know the halachos and know when you are allowed to do what. Having said that, you should speak to a Rav and have the Rav tell your husband what is and what is not allowed in regards to DE.

chavamom

Post Mon, Jun 05 2006, 1:13 am
Actually, there are different opinions on this matter. Some hold that it is mamash parve and some hold that you have to treat it as milkhig (the OU for one no longer calls things DE - it is just 'D' by them)! You have to ask your rav how you hold. We had a whole thread on this a while back if you search the archives.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen