Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Getting a child to eat
1  2  Next

proudmom

Post Mon, Sep 27 2004, 10:08 am
My sister has a 8 month old and she refuses to eat anything.She doesnt even want to drink from a cup which she did in the past. Everytime she tries to put something in her mouth she seals her lips. (she was trying for 4 months already and no results) Any suggesstions to get her to eat.

gryp

Post Mon, Sep 27 2004, 10:28 am
there's no food she absolutely loves? sweet potato, applesauce, chicken? Maybe entertaining her and sneaking in a few mouthfuls. My baby used to eat so much that we thought well have to triple our food budget for the rest of our lives... we didnt know he would slow down after he turned one. Now some days go by when I can count exactly how many spoons of food he had all day. good luck getting her to eat.

proudmom

Post Mon, Sep 27 2004, 10:35 am
RG wrote:
Maybe entertaining her and sneaking in a few mouthfuls.

She tried and it doesnt work. And when she put food in her mouth she would spit it out.

miriam

Post Mon, Sep 27 2004, 11:13 am
Is the baby nursing or bottle fed? My older daughter only nursed until she was about 10 months old. She wasn't interested in baby food at all.

proudmom

Post Mon, Sep 27 2004, 11:19 am
She is only nursing

miriam

Post Mon, Sep 27 2004, 11:23 am
Is it ok with the mom if she doesn't eat solids right now?

proudmom

Post Mon, Sep 27 2004, 11:24 am
She wants to give her solids because she is not being satisfied with the nursing,. She nurses all day and all night

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Sep 27 2004, 12:16 pm
When my son was 6 months old I got pregnant. By 9 months my milk supply became much much less but he still wouldn't eat solids. I got really scared because he LOST 2lbs. He wouldn't drink formula either. about a month or so later I found out he had reflux which was one of the reasons why he didn't want to eat food. For me I realized I had to make my son feel better before he would start eating. After we started medicine he started to eat better and he started to drink formula. Also I didn't force my son to eat, I gave him food all day to hold, play with. I tried to feed him all the time but if he didn't eat I didn't force him. My son had a lot of teeth early so we basicly skiped baby food and by the time he was really eating was about at one year old. Now I just give him what we are eating for dinner. And I got this book on feeding babies and they said a great first food is banana and avocadoes.

Motek

Post Mon, Sep 27 2004, 3:25 pm
proudmom wrote:
My sister has a 8 month old and she refuses to eat anything.She doesnt even want to drink from a cup which she did in the past. Everytime she tries to put something in her mouth she seals her lips. (she was trying for 4 months already and no results) Any suggesstions to get her to eat.

is she losing weight? is she doing fine in all other respects?

if she's healthy, and doesn't want to eat, just nurse, perhaps you need to follow her lead, this stage won't last forever!

supermom

Post Sun, Oct 31 2004, 8:31 am
actually my baby refuses to eat anything and now she is on formula with I am happy about she eats every couple of hours and sleeps through the night but still no food she only eats finger foods like cookies, bamba, cucumbers, oranges, apples, and tomatos but when will she start eating real food anyone have a clue when? Crying it is so fustrating that she doesn't eat regulary she isnt losing wieght but how normally is it that at nine months she doesn't eat even mashed potatoes Exclamation Exclamation

proudmom

Post Sun, Oct 31 2004, 10:16 am
Supermom at least she is on formula, that is giving her the nutrition right now. Dont worry It will take time. Also she never ate food before so it will take time for her to get the taste for it.

zuncompany

Post Sun, Oct 31 2004, 11:49 am
A child's nutrician should come soley from formula or breastmilk for the first year of life. Solids is just a suppliment to experiment with taste and texture so that when they do have to rely on food as a form of nutrician they won't reject the food. My older son HATED baby food. We didn't know why he wouldn't eat for so long. Finally at nine months we gave him challah and kugels. Also pieces of cut up chicken that was chunked. He loved it! He couldn't get enough:) He loved tablefood... hated the mashed baby food. Still doesn't like mashed food much at all.

Sara

FYI... be careful about bamba cause its peanuts.

supermom

Post Sat, Nov 06 2004, 3:56 pm
bamba I do give my daughter I guess it is a natural thing here in israel that everyone gives there kids bamba at a very young age. as a matter of fact she loves bamba. table food I am actually scared of just in case she might choke which she has done in the passed I guess I will just wait it out until she is mentally ready hopefully soon

Tefila

Post Sun, Nov 07 2004, 8:53 am
Supermom
Quote:
I guess it is a natural thing here in israel

u live in Israel Surprised ! how's the situation there now?

zuncompany

Post Sun, Nov 07 2004, 12:11 pm
Ah... Israel its different. I don't know why. Peanut allergies are rare there. However its popular I heard to have seasame allergies. Something we don't see much in the states. Smile

When I hear bomba I just remember someone I know giving her one year old the stuff (not even thinking about the fact that its peanuts) and the kid had a horrible reaction. Still makes me nervous.
Sara

rydys

Post Tue, Nov 09 2004, 6:44 pm
back to the original topic--speak to your doctor about reflux. I've seen kids with severe food refusal bec. of reflux and once on medication the problem disappears.

supermom

Post Thu, Nov 18 2004, 6:08 pm
I spoke to her doctor but he says it is normal. I never had a baby that didn't like to eat strange how can a doctor say it is okay and what happens when she is one will she still not eat?

supermom

Post Thu, Nov 18 2004, 6:12 pm
[/quote]
u live in Israel Surprised ! how's the situation there now?[/quote]

Well the situation is never good with the arabs. but I love it here still a little boring since I don't work and the fact that I have no friends where I live (I have one friend here but she works all day). You heard about the last bomb that was in the settlements yup that was scary and that happened where we live. I always thought that the arabs make trouble only in jerusalem, telaviv but I guess I was wrong again.

supermom

Post Sun, Nov 21 2004, 5:46 am
I can't believe my luck this shabbos my daughter took a piece of shnitzel in her hand and actually ATE IT boy what a relief!! Very Happy

zuncompany

Post Sun, Nov 21 2004, 10:44 am
Sometimes they just don't like mushed food. Zu hated it. We were wondering why he wouldn't eat. I felt horrible and it didn't help that I was newly preg. We thought he wouldn't eat cause I had been in the hospital for dehydration and he was still upset. Nope... he just didn't like mushed food. At his well baby check up the ped. told me some kids do this, but he is old enough now to give him table food that was soft. The kid went to town! He was eating five meals a day and I couldn't keep enough food around for him B"H!!

sara
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics