Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Necklace turning neck green!

JollyMommy

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 2:45 am
it's metal with crystals and I love it.. it's leaving green marks on my neck! also metal on necklace turning greenish- advice on how to clean necklace? how to stop it?

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 2:51 am
AFAIK, not really anything you can do.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 4:38 am
I've had this in the past with silver/metal it's most likely the reaction of natural body perspiration (this doesn't meant you are an unclean person!!) its the way the metal reacts with your skin.
Don't think there is much to be done about it.

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 4:39 am
amother wrote:
I've had this in the past with silver/metal it's most likely the reaction of natural body perspiration (this doesn't meant you are an unclean person!!) its the way the metal reacts with your skin.
Don't think there is much to be done about it.

I've had necklaces that did the same thing on the clothing I was wearing, not my neck. I think some of them just give off a residue.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 5:01 am
Is it coming from metal, or from the crystal stone bits? If metal, would polishing with the cloth you use for polishing silver work? Though I thought it was copper that turns greenish when oxidised.

Any chance it's Israeli? I also have a pendant-style necklace with a deep red crystal/semi-precious stone and noticed it left a mark on my off-white top. Fortunately it came off in laundry. Can it be possible that the stone was dyed?

suzyq

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 7:54 am
You can paint it with clear nail polish. This will keep the metal from actually coming in contact with your skin and therefore turning your neck green.

lakewood mom

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 8:09 am
it can be that ur allergic to the silver/metal

mazeltov

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 10:09 am
this has happened to me and I stopped wearing it.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 10:17 am
That's what happens with cheap jewelry that's not made from silver, gold, or other finer materials. All the necklaces and earrings that I buy from Target, Claire's, and other such places tend to do that.

Last edited by DefyGravity on Thu, Jun 24 2010, 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 10:18 am
lakewood mom wrote:
it can be that ur allergic to the silver/metal

That wouldn't leave green on your neck that washes off! That would cause a rash.

louche

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 11:08 am
DefyGravity wrote:
That's what happens with cheap jewelry that's not made from silver, gold, or other finer materials.

Even 14-karat gold often contains nickel that will react with some people's skin and turn green. Has to do with how much is nickel as opposed to other alloy metals and with your particluar skin chemistry. It's not an allergy and not dangerous. Costume jewelry made from base metals will do the same thing if it contains nickel. Copper will, too. Coating the jewelry with clear nail polish works, provided you're not sensitive to the nail polish.

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 11:10 am
suzyq wrote:
You can paint it with clear nail polish. This will keep the metal from actually coming in contact with your skin and therefore turning your neck green.

When I did that, there was double the mess with the green coming off together with nail polish bits. LOL

JollyMommy

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 12:16 pm
D.G. it wasn't that cheap it's Antica Murina and was $150- I don't know how to post a link but it's stunning I don't want to stop wearing it! Google it- they are so beautiful.. not to sound anti-cheap jewlery though because I do have pieces that were a lot less, but they didn't turn my neck green!

I'll try the polishing wipe idea- thanks Mrs. Bissili!

mimimom

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 12:33 pm
If it cost that much I"d definitely complain to the company! It sounds like they sold you a lemon at the very least!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics