Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Cheap jewelry

amother

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 7:16 am
How do you feel about it? I am talking about t he ones that are silver or silver covered with gold and have CZ's.

I know it'sw gossipy but I always remember people judging how wealthy fancy someone is by their jewelry. Or assuming that a woman who has a lot of nice jewelry that her husband is taking good care of her.

Lately I've seen a lot more of cheaper jewelry available that really looks like the real thing. And my dh is not much into buying me any and expensive jewelry is not in my budget anyway. So I've lately been buying some for myself. But sometimes when I buy something that looks like a very expensive piece I get nervous about people thinking it's real when they actually know I don't have a lot of $. In fact I get compliments on it and sometimes I feel I have to tell them it's silver, CZ etc, I then get criticized that I shouldn't be telling them that.

So how do you feel about this and are you careful when you buy it not to go overboard. I'm not necessarily talking about gaudy jewelry but sometimes it can be tasteful but if it were real it would be over $1K.

(Not sure if this will all make sense to you I had a hard time explaining it...)

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 9:31 am
I think, to each his own.

MamaBear

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 9:47 am
Of all the things to worry about, and hey I worry about silly things, too, this is simply not one of them. Wear whatever you want, whatever you can afford. When someone likes your shirt, do you tell them it's made out of cotton? So they like your necklace, you don't have to tell them it's made from fake stones. Wear your fake bling with pride. Wink

louche

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 10:03 am
Do what makes you happy. I personally am not into showy jewelry, real or fake. I rarely wear "fake" at all, and then it's materials that aren't mimicking the real thing, like button earrings or enameled brooches. If dh buys me rhinestones or cz, well, I'm going to wear that b/c dh bought it for me. I may not necessarily wear it in public if I think it looks really cheap, but I'll wear it to the table on Shabbos, even if we have guests.

What I consider really tacky is jewelry that is obviously counterfeit. Again, I don't mean lacquered pieces or enameled copperware, but glittery stones the size of gravel, "pearls" an inch in diameter, that sort of thing, that if real would be beyond the reach of most ordinary mortals. So long as the jewelry is tasteful and they're not deliberately trying to deceive me for evil purposes, such as making themselves seem wealthier so that I'll be interested in a shidduch with their family, what do I care if someone is wearing real or fake?

For myself, though, I prefer the real thing even if it's so "discreet" you need a microscope to see it. I feel like a fraud wearing fakes, even knowing full well that half the people around me are probably wearing fakes, and some are unblushingly wearing very obvious fakes. Just my mishegoss.

yummymummy

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 10:33 am
I see no problem with wearing costume jewelry if you can't afford or don't want to spend a fortune on the real thing. There are really nice pieces available and I think every woman deserves to feel beautiful on shabos, yom tov, at simchas, etc. You need to make sure to get quality imitations, though, there's no point in spending money on fake jewelry if it looks like a bunch of rhinestones pasted on a piece of metal (unless of course you like that look). You certainly don't have to tell people that you’re wearing fake jewelry but it might not be a good idea to complain about money troubles or that you didn't get a large enough tuition discount while wearing it. Wink

eschaya

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 6:57 pm
These days, it seems that fake jewelry is actually quite fashionable. At first I thought it was ridiculous, but big stones, metal chains, and lots of color and natural objects seem to be very trendy nowdays. So wear your fake with pride... it is "in". I have a limited budget too, but I love color and I'm artistic, so what I do is I make my own jewelry (costs much less) and then I don't ever feel the need to "apologize" and explain that it's fake. I'll say something like, "I love it too, and it was so much fun to make" and then I'll get into wonderful conversations with people I barely know. It's so much fun, I have beautiful jewelry, and it costs so little.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 7:00 pm
It isn't gossipy, it's downright blech to judge people by the jewelry they wear. A husband could be killing his wife and buying her 3k necklaces. I can't believe that people are so shallow as to think they can know anything about the wearer other than the fact that they are wearing that piece of jewelry.

Nuts

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 9:34 pm
Silver and cz jewelry are not fake. They are just that. Maybe it is deceiving but it's not like metal with fake stones.

mimimom

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 9:39 am
If you're careful to get understated pieces people often can't tell the difference. And if it looks nice and you're happy with it, who cares? Better to have authentic middos and fake jewelry than the other way around. Wink

shevi82

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 9:42 am
I think if anyone would see me wearing a piece that looked really expensive they would know it's not real! LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics