Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Baalei Teshuva Raising Frum/Chasidishe Kids
  Previous  1  2  3  9  10  11

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 11 2006, 7:34 am
morningstar wrote:
The reality is that there are many people today who want their children in a Jewish school and cannot find a Jewish school to accept them.

I would like to know why those children are not being accepted before blaming the community. There can be many reasons, some illegitimate, some the parents' fault.

grilled chicken on Yom Tov, placenta shock

Nutty stories, haven't personally encountered anything like this.

gryp

Post Sun, Jun 11 2006, 8:23 am
Quote:
So you're saying that by virtue of the fact that the child was accepted in his school, he committed himself to educating this child for the longterm. I don't understand that reasoning.

Motek, I know there is a point to it, although I definitely dont have a written source.
My principal in seminary gave out forms at the end of they year wanting to know what we were all doing the next year, and he said that the Rebbe said something like, since they were in his seminary, he is responsible for their chinuch from now on!
and at the end of the next year too, I recieved another form in the mail asking what im planning on doing the coming year!!!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 11 2006, 9:15 am
Motek wrote:
morningstar wrote:
The reality is that there are many people today who want their children in a Jewish school and cannot find a Jewish school to accept them.

I would like to know why those children are not being accepted before blaming the community. There can be many reasons, some illegitimate, some the parents' fault.

Sometimes there aren't enough places.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jun 11 2006, 12:03 pm
Motek, the nutty stories are not a reason why any child was denied entrance in yeshiva. It is just to show that fitting in is not something that comes automatically.
A relative once gave us an old TV that we left unused in the basement. When the gulf war broke out, we turned it on to see what was happening. The menahel of the cheder that our kids attended happened to walk into our house and demanded that we throw the TV in the trash. We said we would but really locked it up in the basement. A few weeks later, he called to see if we disposed of it. I admitted to still owning it, expecting to have our kids expelled from school. It turns out that the cheder was on the 11pm news and he just needed to see the broadcast before throwing it away. Cute story huh? It was true. This menahel had a lot of patience.

chen

Post Sun, Jun 11 2006, 3:32 pm
Motek wrote:
chen wrote:
It is always shver tzu zayn a yid, but anything you have been doing from birth is easier than something you had to learn later in life.

Rav Moshe Feinstein z'l said we lost a generation of Jews because parents said, 'Es iz shver tzu zein a Yid (it is hard to be a Jew).'

with all due respect, this expression was around for generations before the great migration to the US. the lost generation was lost beause they decided "'siz TZU shver" and concluded they had the option of giving it up.

Crayon210

Post Sun, Jun 11 2006, 7:49 pm
I've heard what Motek quoted-that people said it was hard (not too hard) to be a Jew, and kids said, well who needs hard stuff?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 12 2006, 7:33 am
Crayon210 wrote:
I've heard what Motek quoted-that people said it was hard (not too hard) to be a Jew, and kids said, well who needs hard stuff?

Yes, saying that or always associating Judaism with the Shoah is the best way to discourage anyone imho...
Page 11 of 11   Previous  1  2  3  9  10  11 Recent Topics