Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Quickbooks -non profit

shluchamom

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 11:33 am
I know this doesn't really go under household management but couldn't find another place for it. Does anyone here use quickbooks for non profit and can answer some questions I have before I buy the program.

Thanks

wtvr

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 11:42 am
I use Quickbooks Pro for our non-profit. From what I understand, it's not that much different. Just things like names...I.e. sale are called donations, etc.

shluchamom

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 12:12 pm
can one keep a database in either program? I assume if you are using it you feel it is a good program. What are the differences between pro and premier I was advised to get the premier but don't really know the differences.

aidelmaidel

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 12:15 pm
I keep the books on 4 companies on just Pro for the last 10 years or so. Don't bother spending the money for premier - unless you are doing lots of employees, etc, you don't need it.

For a regular shliach with a regular chabad house, you can get by with QB Pro, no worries.

shluchamom

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 12:33 pm
aidelmaidel wrote:
I keep the books on 4 companies on just Pro for the last 10 years or so.

for 4 different companies? or on 4 different programs?

aidelmaidel wrote:
For a regular shliach with a regular chabad house, you can get by with QB Pro, no worries.

can the program also keep a database and create mailing list when needed?

what is the official advantage of premier over pro and are there different pro/premier for non profit than for regular?

wtvr

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 1:05 pm
It's not a database program, it's an accounting program. So, yes it does keep data of customers/donors, it's not like you're going to keep the name, add, phone, of e/o you meet in it. You can do letters, but it's not so easy. I do it for receipts, but one peeve I have is I can't keep track of who I sent and who I didn't.

What are you currently using for data?

Look on the quickbooks site for comparison between them. Non-profit is just a specialized Premier. If you have a techsoup account then maybe it pays to get the non-profit, otherwise, I don't think it's worth it. (I guess it depends on your needs).

aidelmaidel

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 1:12 pm
shluchamom wrote:
aidelmaidel wrote:
I keep the books on 4 companies on just Pro for the last 10 years or so.

for 4 different companies? or on 4 different programs?

aidelmaidel wrote:

can the program also keep a database and create mailing list when needed?

what is the official advantage of premier over pro and are there different pro/premier for non profit than for regular?

You can keep multiple "companies" in Pro or Premiere. Same program, just like multiple files. I mentioned this to show you that I'm using Pro ALOT.

I don't see the reason to use Premier just because of non-profit. If you have multiple non-profits (ie separate tax IDs for chabad house, friendship circle, mikva, pre-school, etc), you can still do it with PRO. Just keep a separate company file for each tax ID.

What does the accountant who does your IRS filings recommend?

And yes PRO will let you keep a database of basic information, but I would go with R' Brod's suggestions on databases if you are looking to keep track of your congregants/donors. And yes you can print mailing labels from PRO.

Are you just starting out on shlichus? Is there a head shliach above you? If yes, see what they recommend as well.

shluchamom

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 1:29 pm
No we are not just starting out and we dont have a head shliach we are on our own just revamping the way we do things here.

accountant said either one works so I was wondering what does the non profit offer over the pro.

What is R' Brods advice I think my husband went to his workshop a few years ago but I don't remember the specifics, can you remind me just in general.

wtvr - about the reciepts do you know if the premier has that option of keeping track who I sent to? or the non profit does that do that.

I'm a bit confused about the difference between the two programs

shluchamom

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 1:30 pm
No we are not just starting out and we dont have a head shliach we are on our own just revamping the way we do things here.

accountant said either one works so I was wondering what does the non profit offer over the pro.

What is R' Brods advice I think my husband went to his workshop a few years ago but I don't remember the specifics, can you remind me just in general.

wtvr - about the reciepts do you know if the premier has that option of keeping track who I sent to? or the non profit does that do that.

aidelmaidel

Post Tue, Jul 20 2010, 3:04 pm
shluchamom wrote:

I don't remember what R'Brod suggested but I'm sure you can email him.

In regards to receipts, I would be printing them as soon as you deposit a check - or at least once a week. (Unless someone asks for a quarterly or annual receipt). Also note that by IRS regulation 501c3s have to send an annual statement for all donations at the end of the FY.

You can buy pro and if it doesn't meet your needs upgrade to premium - usually they throw all kinds of offers your way once you buy pro.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics