Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Laptop or Desktop? Help me figure it out!

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Wed, Jul 21 2010, 12:33 pm
It's time to replace my ancient desktop computer. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons to choose between getting another desktop or a laptop this time. So far all I came up with is:
laptop takes up less space and can be hidden away to clear the area if necessary, but it would cost more than a desktop of equal capabilities. On the other hand, with a desktop I could get a bigger screen, and more bang for my buck. Is that right? The portability factor of a laptop isn't really an issue because I'm not going to be taking it anywhere and I don't have wireless internet which means it needs to stay plugged into a DSL modem which needs to stay plugged into the wall, so it's really going to have to stay in one place anyway.
What else should I look for in a new computer? I haven't bought one in years (my last one was a gift).

EveMotorcycle

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 6:09 am
Laptops are less reliable, tend to die quicker, and are harder to repair when they break. This is because all the components are welded to one another to conserve space, which means that when one thing goes, you more or less have to replace everything.

So, if you are not going to use the portability factor, this really is a no-brainer. You want a desk top.

I will add that you can get an add on to your router that gives you wireless capability. They are VERY cheap, and being wireless is wonderful. You can take your computer anywhere in the house, and surf away. Well, then again, maybe that is a BAD thing.

Smile

I have two laptops because the portability factor is essential for me. But, I have also burned through about three laptops in four years due to total motherboard melt downs, and the laptops I have now are very temperamental. Desktops are usually more powerful, cheaper, more reliable, and easier to fix when something goes wrong. I had an old Dell desktop I was able to keep running for more than 10 years.

As for what to look for in a computer:

Firstly, shop for the monitor separately. You can get good deals on monitors, and you can get the best monitor for the price, if you look around for one that is not necessarily bundled with your system.

Secondly, the money should go into your processor. Get the fastest processor you can afford, even if you skimp on other things. You can always upgrade the memory and the hard drive later, and usually you can buy those things cheaper at retail from specialty stores, and they are really easy (I promise) to install yourself.

Beware of things you don't need. If you don't use your computer for gaming, you don't need a high end system, and a top notch graphics card. If you don't regularly use your computer to play music, you don't need the top sound card.

If you mostly use your computer for word processing, and web surfing, most mid-range systems will be more than enough for you.

Consumer reports always has good information on which computers tend to be the most reliable, and have the best customer service.

BestMomBrooklyn

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 8:45 am
If you have the room to make yourself comfortable and you're not going to take it anywhere, then go for the desktop.

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 9:30 pm
Why would you get a laptop if you don't need it for the portability issue?

Oh, and get a Mac! Very Happy

leahsurie

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 9:31 pm
mac's rock!!! Thumbs Up

yummydd

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 10:16 pm
The first time I laid my eyes on a mac I fell in love with it...... my laptop is still alive I guess I gotta wait for it to die in order to have my dream come true. Oh and definitly go for a desktop versus a laptop makes way less problems and has a bigger life span.

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Jul 22 2010, 10:34 pm
iMac :dreams:

NativeMom

Post Fri, Jul 23 2010, 12:33 am
I say get the Desktop as well because, as everyone else said you don't need the portability feature . I happen to have both but only have a laptop because of school although honestly, I can't live without one now. I need something portable.

I also agree with EveMotorcycle, look computers up in consumer reports!

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Jul 23 2010, 1:13 am
I think a desktop is best for all around use, but I do wish I had a laptop...it would come in so handy many a time as most of my work is online.

I will need to work from my parents home and all they have is dial-up :/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics