Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Why would doctor do such a thing????

mammala120

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 7:07 pm
hello to all.
I really need advice here since I am beating myself up, alot

I took my dd who just now turned four to get her second MMR shot. the doctor did not perform well check up and just stuck the needle into her hands. we go home and by night time she had came down with cought, runny nose, and snizzing. by day two and three the cough increased and now she has lost her voice and vomited over night after some coughing.

is this related to the MMR or did she have the bug in her and doctor overlooked it by not performing an exam prior to administering the vaccine. is this normal about the doctor precedure.

my dh is accusing me for building the cold relationship between us and pediatric md because of following reasons according to my dh.
1. I don't run to doctor when my kids are sick. I treat them at home using homeopathy, herbs or what ever I can do. however I do call doctor several times for assistance.
2. doctor always says "I know my patience, you don't believe in medicine" indicating that I don't really need him.
3. I space out my kids' vaccines.
so my dh sais that becaue I like all my way, the doctor is very EASY and leaves it all to me

what to do. should I change doctors, should I go to doctor now with sick child and say here we never checked her and she was carrying bug and you gavve her shot....now waht.

please help I can't sleep.

granolamom

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 7:19 pm
I also selectively vax, and according to my own schedule. so the appointments for shots are usually just for shots and not a well visit. the dr cant bill for well visit on my schedule so I dont' expect him to spend that much time with us.
he usually will ask me if my child is sick or anything before administering the shot but I think he also assumes I wont bring a sick kid in for shots.
I think the MMR reaction usually occurs a week or so after the shot, so its likely your child had something brewing. not to say the dr missed it, could be he wouldn't have picked up on it even having done a full check up. can't be perfect.
odds are your child will be ok, though I'm sorry she isnt' feeling well.
rfuah shelaima!

gold21

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 7:19 pm
your child probably has a virus, and theres little chance that the doctor could have picked that up from a standard well check-up. so thats life. as for leaving the doctor: why? do you know of a doctor that will make you happier?

granolamom

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 7:25 pm
just realized I didn't answer your questions

I wouldn't bring the child in unless you think she needs medical attention.
I don't think she's at greater risk for adverse effects of vaccination if that's what you're so worried about. nothing to be done now anyway. say some tehillim, ask Hashem to watch over her.
switching drs, well, if you think there's a dr out there who will be more supportive of the way you use his services then look into switching. but I wouldn't switch just because of this.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 7:29 pm
first of all I wish your daughter a refuah shlaime..
the mmr has bad side effects but if I remember correctly, it's side effects are delayed, usually 10 days..
I would google the side effects of the mmr to see if you should be oncerned if this is an allergic reaction. To me it sounds like a virus. To your doctors defense, if you didn't notice that your daughter was a little under the weather, how could he? It's not like he can peer into the ears or throat and see a virus about to come....I also think that drs don't think there's anything wrong in giving shots if the child has a cold or some minor ailment.. Maybe that's why he didn't check..not because he doesn't agree with your views.
my recommendation: it's your daughter, take her to the doctor anyway to be on the safe side..

WriterMom

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 7:30 pm
a) If your daughter's sleeping, get some sleep yourself!
b) Don't beat yourself up. The vast, vast majority of kids get MMR shots and are absolutely fine.
c) You may have to trade off between a doctor who is laissez-faire about when you vax and a doctor who's kind of lax in other ways. I don't know what the solution is; it's an issue with us, too. There are certainly excellent doctors who will respect your choice, but I've seen a lot of the really thorough ones strongly push the regular vax schedule as well. I'd also say, you need to come to a common position with DH at some point, although that's not a priority tonight. It would be good to agree on what you'll do re: kids, vaxing, doctors, etc.
d) Did I mention, get some sleep?

You're a great mother, you have already educated yourself so much more than average and put so much thought into how to do this. Be kind to yourself. Let us know how it goes, and be well, both of you!

drumjj

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 10:46 pm
she prob had a virus and not much the dr could have done saying that when I take my daughter for shots they always take her temperature before and if its even slightly raised they wont do it.
also with the second mmr my kids have never had a reaction to it at all as its only a booster.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Aug 03 2010, 8:20 am
mammala120 wrote:
hello to all.
I really need advice here since I am beating myself up, alot

I took my dd who just now turned four to get her second MMR shot. the doctor did not perform well check up and just stuck the needle into her hands. we go home and by night time she had came down with cought, runny nose, and snizzing. by day two and three the cough increased and now she has lost her voice and vomited over night after some coughing.

is this related to the MMR or did she have the bug in her and doctor overlooked it by not performing an exam prior to administering the vaccine. is this normal about the doctor precedure.

my dh is accusing me for building the cold relationship between us and pediatric md because of following reasons according to my dh.
1. I don't run to doctor when my kids are sick. I treat them at home using homeopathy, herbs or what ever I can do. however I do call doctor several times for assistance.
2. doctor always says "I know my patience, you don't believe in medicine" indicating that I don't really need him.
3. I space out my kids' vaccines.
so my dh sais that becaue I like all my way, the doctor is very EASY and leaves it all to me

what to do. should I change doctors, should I go to doctor now with sick child and say here we never checked her and she was carrying bug and you gavve her shot....now waht.

please help I can't sleep.

It sounds like a virus, a well checkup would not have found a dormant virus. A well checkup consists of height, weight, and ears and lungs checked. Unless your child had strept or an ear infection, he could not have picked it up. If she was running a fever too, it might be an infection. Fever from shots is a pretty normal side effect too, and some kids react badly to shots.

Running to a doctor every times a kid sniffles is silly. I don't, and I'm not into homeopathy. I know the difference between a cold and sick.

Your doctor is right, you don't believe 100% in medicine, but I'm sure you'd give it if it was warranted.

Lots of people space out vaccines, that's not why your child got sick.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers