Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What'd you like in this week's Binah/Binah Bunch
1  2  Next

ILOVELIFE

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 12:16 am
Let's start a thread about different magazines and it can be updated as the new issue comes out.

This one is about: Binah.

I'll post my faves later IY"H.

ILOVELIFE

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 2:08 pm
Well, Binah only came out Monday but I looooved the article on finances! It was so different and I liked that you could get advice there. It felt so nosy in a good way to hear how others manage. Liked it.

I also the shidduch stories-- it gave a nice upbeat feel to things.

chocolate fondue

Post Sat, Jul 31 2010, 8:54 pm
Did anyone actually read EGS's Il Matrimonio? ( the play that was 'written by a contemporary of Shakespeare') I thought it was brilliant, even though it was hard to read. I loved the analysis after each act and the way she brought 'sources' for her quotes. Can't imagine how much work went into that though.

seeker

Post Sat, Jul 31 2010, 10:12 pm
I also quite liked "Il Matrimonio." Reminded me of the kind of fun I used to have with friends making parodies of what we had to read in high school, and well done.

ILOVELIFE

Post Sat, Jul 31 2010, 11:53 pm
now that I re-read, I also liked Hadassa Sanzer's shidduch story a lot

Beauty and the Beast

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 12:22 am
I also enjoyed the financial articles.. Did not attempt to read the matrimonio article yet.. And I haaaated the recipe selection this week.

realeez

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 9:42 am
The shidduchim articles were great. EG's was great - I got a kick out of N. V. Hajefen!
I like the story of the girl who had surgery to restore her sight in BB.

ClaRivka

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 2:19 pm
I wasnt impressed by anything this week.

I wish they had done a couple without children in the finances section. maybe doing someone doing IVF who need to find $25k to do a cycle... (I know, it would never happen)

OldYoung

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 2:20 pm
The "homemade" pickle recipe in the Binah Bunch looks great!

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 6:40 pm
ClaRivka wrote:

I wish they had done a couple without children in the finances section. maybe doing someone doing IVF who need to find $25k to do a cycle... (I know, it would never happen)

Why wouldn't it happen? They asked for volunteers. I think it might be extremely enlightening.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 6:40 pm
ILOVELIFE wrote:

I didn't like it at all. It highlighted the ills of our society when it comes to shidduchim.

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 10:49 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
ILOVELIFE wrote:

I didn't like it at all. It highlighted the ills of our society when it comes to shidduchim.

What do you mean? Her son had a hearing impairment and any regular girl is supposed to go for that?! That's the one reasonable thing I've heard is that a person would rather not take a boy with a physical disability.

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 10:50 pm
ClaRivka wrote:

Write a letter! I think it will open ppl's eyes a lot! Also, would you consider allowing yourself to be profiled? Otherwise, how wld society know. they asked for volunteers and used who they got

mama mia

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 11:02 pm
Ok so actually it was last week but I loved me ad!! They did such a teriffic job with the layout and the placing and I'm very happy with it. It's the LICENURSE ad. I have a similar one right here, actually Smile

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Aug 01 2010, 11:17 pm
ILOVELIFE wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
ILOVELIFE wrote:

What do you mean? Her son had a hearing impairment and any regular girl is supposed to go for that?! That's the one reasonable thing I've heard is that a person would rather not take a boy with a physical disability.

Oops. I confused it with another article I think.

realeez

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 10:07 am
Was I the only person who hadn't heard of the term "Modern Update?"

OldYoung

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 10:12 am
realeez wrote:
Was I the only person who hadn't heard of the term "Modern Update?"

No! LOL

ILOVELIFE

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 3:38 pm
Rabbi Burnham's piece was amazing. I love his thoughts in general.

The interview with Reb Schwab was beautiful and for me so special because I know her and I knew her husband zt'l. I wonder if you don't know her how you felt reading it.

I enjoyed the polls this week and the article by Chavy Lefkowitz about tzedaka stories.

Hands down fave this week is Efrat's recipes-- that Chicken tower is going to be clipped and saved for a simcha (May we be zoche to many! Amen!)

Fool's Gold this week was the first chapter I liked and I'm get all angry at Esther and Yoni for behaving in IDIOTIC ways but I sooooo could see it happening in real-life. A guy like Yoni who doesn't get enough attention and love elsewhere....same with Esther....

Loyalties was AWESOME this week! \

and I never read the poems but this one is SPECIAL.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 3:45 pm
My great-grandparents were featured a few weeks ago in Binah. My family is disappointed by the article, though, for a number of reasons.

Oh well....

I LOVE EGR!!!! I laughed and laughed thru IL MATRIMONIO, it is absolutely brilliant. Deborah Noa Miscabel. ho ho ho

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, Aug 23 2010, 11:04 pm
Issue 197 Back to School.

I loved the Tuition article but then again, I love a/thing Shoshie Bernstein does. She's one great writer-- thorough, honest and interesting.

The short story about the hs girl learning to read was also s/thing that touched me.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room