Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Braised lamb with red onion, red wine and prunes

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 8:12 am
This one has nice rich gravy, not too sweet. We end up serving at least once during Tishrei yomtov. It freezes and reheats beautifully!

- lamb cutlets (1 piece per person, plus a few extra for hungry guests).
For those unfamiliar, lamb cutlets I get is a big, flat piece with shoulder bones in.
It's much bigger and usually a bit less expensive than lambchops.
The following recipe is for about 8-10 lamb cutlets, about 2 kgs.
- 2-3 medium red onions, sliced or chopped
- salt & pepper, flour to dust, cinnamon
- 1 cup dry or semi-dry red wine (but not sweet)
- 2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar (optional),
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or 2 teasps onion soup mix
- 1 cup prunes, coarsely chopped/quartered

1. Trim all visible fats from lamb cutlets. Dust with flour and season well with salt & pepper on both sides.
2. Heat non-stick frying pan with a very small amount of oil. Sautee red onions till soft, about 10min. (Sweating/sauteeing really adds sweetness). Transfer onions to a large, oven-proof casserole.
3. In the same frying pan, sear the meat on both sides on high flames. Don't worry if a bit sticks/burns. Transfer to the same casserole. Layer onions and chopped prunes between meat--some under, and cover top with some of the onions.
4. Swish red wine and vinegar, balsamic vinegar, soysauce/onion soup on the same pan, scraping off all the yummy juice that got stuck/burnt on the frying pan. Pour on top of meat/onion/prunes.
5. Cover the casserole with DOUBLE pieces of foil. Cook in a fast (180C) oven for about 45min, then reduce heat to 140-150C and cook for a looooong time, at least 5 hours. Alternatively you can put the whole thing in a crock pot. The meat comes out VERY soft after--almost falls from the bones. Reduce cooking time if you don't want it this soft.
6. Refrigerate once the casserole cools. Remove all congealed fat. People marvel how lean/non-greasy the dish is. That's the trick. Serve with starch (rice, potato etc) that can mop up the delish gravy.

imabima

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 9:21 am
This looks delicious! And I have some lamb in the freezer...

shaini

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 9:57 pm
This sounds delcious, must try it.

exhausted

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 10:01 pm
I rang my butcher asking for this and he recommended baby chops. I know this doesnt sound right, do you know another name for it, or can you describe a bit more what the meat looks like? This sounds exactly what my DH would love for Yom Tov!!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 10:44 pm
exhausted wrote:
I rang my butcher asking for this and he recommended baby chops. I know this doesnt sound right, do you know another name for it, or can you describe a bit more what the meat looks like? This sounds exactly what my DH would love for Yom Tov!!
You should be able to find the cutlets at your butcher. I don't remember what they are called. Are you in BP? Landau's carries them.

exhausted

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 12:39 am
Oops!! Forgot to mention, I'm overseas. I noticed Mrs. Bissli is in the UK, but I'm not and as I said, my butcher doesnt know what they are, so if I can't find out, I'll just use large lamb chops. Thanks, Ra Mom!

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 11:11 am
I don't know what lamb cutlets are called outside of UK. It's not the same thing as lambchop or babychops (which is best marinated and grilled, rather than braised).

http://www.justkosher.co.uk/Category/Lamb/ (scrolled down a bit)

Looking at this picture, blade chop seems closest to what I get.
http://www.zensheepfarm.com/chart_l.jpg
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics