Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Teenage Babysitter

malky800

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 10:21 am
I'm at my wits end. We have in our neighborhood a dorming highschool, with plentiful babysitter available for all night occasions.
Sometimes I get ones that I dont' hear anything about.
but then I remember last year I had a girl who came in all nice and kind. When my kids woke up the next morning, they each had 3 lollypops.
Seems the girl told them if they'll go to bed nicely they can eat one right away (after they already brushed their teeth with me), and then she gave them 2 more for the next day.

Then last night I had another babysitter, also a very nice girl. My 5 yr old tells me this morning, "I told the babysitter my head was hurting me so she gave me some tylenol".
Now, to be dan l'kaf zchus, I don't know how much my own daughter manipulated the babysitter either. She could have said anything like, "my mother always gives me" (which isn't true), or other things like that.

But I can't believe the girl actually gave my kid medecine without asking me first.

Anyway, what do I now? Do I need to give each new girl a shmooze when they walk in. "please don't give my kids candy, or medecine, or anything else they might think of.."

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 11:23 am
malky800 wrote:
Anyway, what do I now? Do I need to give each new girl a shmooze when they walk in. "please don't give my kids candy, or medecine, or anything else they might think of.."

Yes you should. I know I do.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 11:32 am
A baby sitter is often allowed to feed the child what is in the house, so if there are candies but they are not for the child, you should for sure say it.
Many agree or even want the baby sitter to give tylenol type medicine if needed, so it should be said too...

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 2:42 pm
malky800 wrote:
I'm at my wits end. We have in our neighborhood a dorming highschool, with plentiful babysitter available for all night occasions.
Sometimes I get ones that I dont' hear anything about.

IMO, you should stop right there. The other issues are small fry compared to this biggie. How do you, as a mother, take responsibility in giving your kids over to a complete and total stranger that you know nothing about?

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 2:44 pm
Ruchel wrote:
A baby sitter is often allowed to feed the child what is in the house, so if there are candies but they are not for the child, you should for sure say it.
Many agree or even want the baby sitter to give tylenol type medicine if needed, so it should be said too...

IMO, if the babysitter does bedtime routine, there's no reason under the sun to dole out rewards.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics