Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
1st course...

shmaichul

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 10:07 am
Im having a big supper tomorrow with my in laws and bils and sils so I'm looking to serve something for 1st course I usually do a soup but its way too hot... any ideas? I'm doin fleishigs btw...

onlyme

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 10:11 am
Cut up fresh fruit
Veggie salad with crackers/breadsticks, dressing on the side

greeneyes

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 11:10 am
How about a plated salad? Any nice romaine salad, especially if you add some fun additions like croutons, craisins, candied nuts, portabella mushrooms, sliced deli or chicken breast etc.

This salad makes a great first course:

Grilled Chicken Breast Salad

Marinate chicken breasts:
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 T. brown sugar
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 cup ketchup

Cut each chicken cutlet into 3 or 4 strips. Combine above ingredients & pour over chicken cutlets. Refrigerate several hours or overnight, if you have the time. Grill or bake chicken breasts (I always bake them, covered with aluminum foil, at 350 degrees for about 1/2 hour-40 minutes. I bake them in the marinade.) When the chicken is cool, cut into strips.

Salad Dressing:
1/2 cup low fat mayo
1 tsp. garlic powder
few shakes black pepper
3-4 T. water

Salad:
romaine lettuce
craisins
grape tomatoes

Mix salad with dressing and top with the chicken.

(To give credit where credit is due, this recipe is from the cookbook Simple Pleasures.)

Another really nice salad for a first course:

Salad with Breaded Salmon Cubes:

Marinade: (make a double batch of the marinade & put 1/2 of it aside to use as salad dressing)
1/4 cup mustard
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup oil (I reduce the oil)
2 T. lemon juice

Cut salmon into cubes & marinate in the marinade. Dip the salmon cubes in cornflake crumbs, spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet, spray with pam, & bake at 350 or 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

Make a lettuce based vegetable salad with veggies of your choice. Top with cooled salmon cubes & drizzle with honey mustard dressing. The salmon is especially delicious if served pretty soon after you bake it, rather than refrigerating it & using it later. Delicious!

Other ideas: fruit soup, a pretty fresh fruit salad using a variety of summer fruit (mango, blueberries, kiwi, canteloupe, peaches etc. & I like to squeeze some fresh lime juice over the fruit which adds a great flavor)

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 11:14 am
avocado dressing salad is delicious and very pretty

baba

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 11:55 am
A cold soup

Melon with smoked meat

shmaichul

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 12:10 pm
The salmon salad really looks delish! Thanks for posting the recipe! What kind of vegtables do u put besides lettuce? Also what kind of soups are good cold? Any recipe ideas?

greeneyes

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 12:13 pm
I usually put in romaine lettuce, grape or cherry tomatoes, different colored peppers, & sliced cucumber, but you can totally use whatever veggies you like.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 5:29 pm
shmaichul wrote:
The salmon salad really looks delish! Thanks for posting the recipe!

agreed! tx!!!!

Brownies

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 9:08 am
To Greeneyes, or anyone else who's made the salmon salad - how much salmon do you use for the recipe? Thanks!

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 9:27 am
from 5 years ago - who could remember - a new thread might be easier

imasinger

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 9:58 am
Brownies wrote:
To Greeneyes, or anyone else who's made the salmon salad - how much salmon do you use for the recipe? Thanks!

I've not made it, but it sounds like the answer would be, "it depends how much you are making, but not more than would fill a cookie sheet with breaded salmon cubes."

Why don't you assume about 1/2 to 2/3 as much as you would serve per person if it weren't in a salad.

Brownies

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 10:05 am
imasinger wrote:
I've not made it, but it sounds like the answer would be, "it depends how much you are making, but not more than would fill a cookie sheet with breaded salmon cubes."

Why don't you assume about 1/2 to 2/3 as much as you would serve per person if it weren't in a salad.

You are probably right ...I am just terrible at estimating quantities and usually tend to overdo it so was hoping someone would give me an amount lol. But I'll have a go either way! Thanks.

champion

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 3:18 pm
maybe some sort of stuffed veggie
stuffed portabello mushromms
avocado stuffed with chunky potatoe salad (all you need to do is stuff the natural cavity in a half an avocado)

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 3:29 pm
Brownies wrote:
How many people are you serving?

shmaichul

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 4:36 pm
It's been a long while since I've made it, but I put around 4 squares on each plate and got about 5/6 squares from each slice of salmon. But that obviously depends on how big the slices are...

sky

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 4:41 pm
I'm also interesting in knowing. I'm serving salmon skewers as a first course to about 45 people. But I want to keep it a bit frugal and it is a VERY simple crowd who will be happy with very little.
Greenfire did help me a bit in my original thread asking.
I was thinking 1 big slice per every 2 people\skewers. or 3 slices per every 2 people. I wasn't sure.
I"m going to be serving it over a julliened zuchhini salad.

[I've made the recipe listed - I think its in an Esty Kafra cookbook, it is very good]
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics