Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
"US Style" or "imported" washer dryer?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 11:49 pm
Hi Israeli amothers
maybe you can help a newbie out - I figured I might get more respnses here because sometimes there are americans (like me!) who lived in israel- and they might know too!

Apparently this is quite unusual in Israel (although in America it is not even the question it is just the norm): our laundry room has hot and cold water whereas normally in Israel there is usually only a hookup to cold water.

My amazing Bosch washing machine back in America, which I am in love with, can do a complete cycle in like....20 minutes (a faster cycle but still). The machine itself cost $1,299, and I am willing to spend that same amount (or even more! since appliances cost more here apparently?) on an equivalent washing machine here- one that takes cold AND hot water so it doesn't have to waste so much time heating the cold water up (I hear loads here can take about an hour!!! OMG!)- but we went to three appliance stores and they said that such a machine "does not exist in the entire world"- washing machines only take cold water, period. (thing is, if they said, this is something that is not sold in this country, ever, I would be more apt to believe them- I think they just dont understand what we are talking about!!! because I know it exists- I HAVE it!)

Where can I go to find a "fancier" imported Bosch, Maytag, LG, GE, etc that can do this? I am new here and quite clueless with just getting started type stuff!!!

Thanks so much!!

Marion

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 12:15 am
Most of the machines here heat their own water, as far as I can tell. I've never gone looking for one that takes both (although my AEG does have two inpipes, so maybe you can look for an AEG!) because I only have one tap and I don't care if my water is cold.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 12:18 am
Marion wrote:
Most of the machines here heat their own water, as far as I can tell. I've never gone looking for one that takes both (although my AEG does have two inpipes, so maybe you can look for an AEG!) because I only have one tap and I don't care if my water is cold.

thanks- I will do this- the stores we went into did have AEG but we didnt start moving them around to look at the piping in the back- maybe I will tell my husband this and say, can we show u on the back of the machine what we are referring to??? its just funny that they say "it doesnt exist" as if they are so 100% confident that they ARE NOT MADE anywhere in the universe when I own one!!!

hila

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 1:07 am
You can go to Super Sherut on Agron. they sell American machines.

We "invested" in a 10kg Maytag machine a few years ago, when I had 3 kids coming home with all their laundry on a thursday night/friday.

It has (sof far bli ayin ahara) not given us any trouble at all in 4-5 years. I love it. It uses hot water from the dud shemesh. The cycle is 30 minutes approx. And I can do small or large loads if needed.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 2:00 am
hila wrote:

We "invested" in a 10kg Maytag machine a few years ago, when I had 3 kids coming home with all their laundry on a thursday night/friday.

It has (sof far bli ayin ahara) not given us any trouble at all in 4-5 years. I love it. It uses hot water from the dud shemesh. The cycle is 30 minutes approx. And I can do small or large loads if needed.

Hi Hila!!
Maytag sounds wonderful and 10kg is the type I am looking for not a 5kg machine that I cant even do a whole set of linen in at a time Smile
do you have an address or website for this super sherut? I am not in Yerushalayim- is Agron in Yerushalayim? not a problem getting there- as longas I know where "there" is!!

thanks a ton

amother

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 2:01 am
hila wrote:

hila wrote:

Hi Hila!!
Maytag sounds wonderful and 10kg is the type I am looking for not a 5kg machine that I cant even do a whole set of linen in at a time Smile
do you have an address or website for this super sherut? I am not in Yerushalayim- is Agron in Yerushalayim? not a problem getting there- as longas I know where "there" is!!

thanks a ton

hila

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 2:11 am
Yes they are in Jerusalem

Website http://www.superservice.co.il/

As far as I remember they talk English too .. I seem to remember the name Yossi as the one to talk to .

If you are intersted in second hand and refurbished there is someone who sells those too......
David Levmore... here is the ad I saw (on Efrat list - he is from Efrat)

FOR SALE- American Appliances

We sell reconditioned (some new) American appliances with one year warranty.
> Units can be seen at our warehouse in Efrat.
> Delivery available.
>

> Washing machines: Maytag,GE, Whirlpool: from 1700NIS
> Dryers (gas or electric): Maytag,GE, Magic Chef, Whirlpool: from 1800NIS
> Stackable Maytag Laundry Center(70cm wide): from 7000NIS
>
> NEW Stackable Frigidaire Laundry Center: 6000NIS

> Refrigerators: GE, Amana, SBS or Reg(freezer top or bottom): from 1500NIS
>

�� �Freezers: Amana,GE, Whirlpool, European: from 600NIS
> Ovens(Stoves) gas or electric: Caloric, GE, Maytag: New and used: from
> 2000NIS
>
> Cooktop: Magic Chef- 90cm wide,4 new burners: 1000NIS
> Dishwashers: Siemens, Phillips, Fisher & Paykel: from 1000NIS
> Vacuums: Dyson: from 1200NIS
> NEW GE RANGE (Digital,self-clean, black, electric)
�� Built-in Sauter oven, 60cm
>
> For information, call: 050-6746604
> David Levmore
>

lst

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 2:12 am
Hila-
do you mind telling me how much it costs?
I would LOVE a 10kg washing machine!

hila

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 2:23 am
No idea now - ours was over 4 years ago.
BUT we do save on running costs (because of using less electricity for water heating)

Call and ask

amother

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 2:24 am
thanks hila

called the store

they have it
im getting it
the end!!
that was easy!
and imagine I went to stores all over yesterday and was so frustrated when I explained it and they said no no no of course that is impossible lol Smile

hila

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 2:27 am
Just make sure - it can fit in the spacwe you have for your washing machine !!

slushiemom

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 2:39 am
hila wrote:

Hila, thanks for the number after spending the summer in america ive been wanting american machines so badly! I called the guy up I have to look into it a bit more but hopefully it'll work out. Thanks!!

hila

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 2:42 am
Hey - I think I should get commission from this ! Wink

Enjoy. I love my machine after 20++ years of soppy little Israeli machines.

Think of a chayal coming home with his bag of socks that stand up by themselves, madei bet (work uniform) that was once green, and 2 weeks of undershirts -and it all fits in easily to the machine together with his towels .

amother

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 3:09 am
hila wrote:

I did- thanks for reminding me.

the laundry room is pretty big (by american standards I mean- its larger than my old laundry room which is awesome!)

the PROBLEM is....the door!
the machine I want from this company is 2cm wider than our door.

So DH said that the door can easily be taken off the hinges with 6 screws (he is very handy), and the guy at the store said that the washing machine's door can also be taken off...so either way, Im safe. But I think anyway we are gonna go into the store to look at the options because he said he has a few of these types he is used to dealing with americans who want these machines.

Its annoying, because as small as my old laundry rm was- I feel it was really just planned smarter- it had huge double doors (that were the width of the entire "room"-it was more like a deep deep closet) so any width machine would fit. but whatever - I am not complaining, I love our new apartment Smile. this time- I even want stackable rather than side by side to save even more space so that I can use the laundry rm as an extra huge pantry and a place to store stuff like toys, all our cleaning supplies, have an iron board and drying rack out ect!

Tamiri

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 3:33 am
amother wrote:
thanks hila

called the store

they have it
im getting it
the end!!
that was easy!
and imagine I went to stores all over yesterday and was so frustrated when I explained it and they said no no no of course that is impossible lol Smile
too late. I wanted to tell you to BE CAREFUL. There are machines sold under the Maytag label that ARE NOT WHAT YOU KNOW FROM THE US. Too late. Anyway, I was married here in 1983 and had a Philco that took both hot and cold water (our bldg had central hot water).

amother

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 3:39 am
Tamiri wrote:
amother wrote:
thanks hila

called the store

they have it
im getting it
the end!!
that was easy!
too late. I wanted to tell you to BE CAREFUL. There are machines sold under the Maytag label that ARE NOT WHAT YOU KNOW FROM THE US. Too late. Anyway, I was married here in 1983 and had a Philco that took both hot and cold water (our bldg had central hot water).

I have a bosch in the US. so I am not expecting the same thing. bosch and maytag are both good names- I am sure it will be at least half decent. I dont need the same thing at all - I just want a good quality machine (so no israeli brands I am told), that doesnt take 1 or 1.5 hours for a single load! I have never even heard of such a thing and was shocked when we started appliance shopping! I would spend half my day doing laundry at that rate. I want something really good, and I am willing to pay the premium for something really good- that's all....

Tamiri

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 3:54 am
It's not a Maytag. It just has the brand on it. It's made in Eastern Europe or something.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 7:58 am
Deleted

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jan 18 2018, 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 8:00 am
My parents have a Miele too! They have it forever, it seems eternal!

nylon

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 2:17 pm
All the new European machines are cold water only. It is cheaper and more efficient for the machine to heat the water than to pipe it in from the boiler (when it's not hot enough anyway for anything hotter than 40) and it gives better results.

Even 6 years ago, when we bought, only the cheapest European machines had hot water fill.

And honestly, I always had better results from my European machine, with its 2 hour cycles, than I did with American ones.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions