Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Should I defrost the meat before cooking?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 7:51 am
I have a frozen roast that I would like to cook now. Can I cook it as is or must it be defrosted?
Do you defrost your meat before cooking? Does it make a difference?

Tamiri

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 7:57 am
For meat to be "cooked", it needs to reach a certain internal temperature. If your roast is frozen solid, the outside will cook while the inside is still busy thawing and that will probably mess up the whole roast. So, I think you should mostly defrost your roast before you start cooking or roasting it.

Mrs.K

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 8:01 am
I always cook my meat directly from the freezer and have never once had it anything less then perfectly tender.

As long as it's cooked enough and tested with a fork, you're fine.

mamommommy

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 8:23 am
If you're going to be cooking it in a lot of liquid, I would say it'll be fine since you can just keep on cooking it until it's cooked through without worrying about overcooking or drying it out, but if there won't be so much liquid then I would definitely defrost it fully before cooking.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 9:18 am
thanks for reminding me, I just took mine out Smile

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 11:57 am
I don't play around with roasts. Their too expensive to experiment on. Smile I think you should most definately defrost it first.

Sherri

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 12:03 pm
Can I marinade it while it's defrosting?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 12:16 pm
Sherri wrote:
For sure!

amother

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 12:45 pm
thanks all for your responses! I didn't wait for it to totally defrost, it had been in the fridge overnight, but still felt frozen but I guess it must have been a bit defrosted.
I put it in the oven on low and it's been cooking for quite a while now. about 5 hours. Do you think that's enough?

sorry for being amother, I'm always so embarrased when I have to ask basic household questions. I feel so clueless...(that's with being married 6 yrs...)

NativeMom

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 1:05 pm
A family friend of ours who is a chef told us to cook roasts on the lowest possible setting for a few hours too keep it from drying out.

Sherri

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 3:09 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Sherri wrote:
For sure!
Phew- that sure saves me time!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen