Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
End-of-the-year teachers' gifts
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Thu, Jun 15 2006, 4:52 pm
Teachers - please weigh in again...
For mothers that WANT to give a gift (no one is forcing them) but for whatever reason (lots of kids/teachers etc) really can't go above $7 per teacher...
Would you rather get $5 cash or a nice gift (that you could always recycle). $5 to me seems pretty wierd to give to someone but a gift is something that shows that you took the time, effort,and the teacher could always reuse (or for body/soap items - could save for when guests come)

Just curious...and trying not to feel bad about the gifts I already bought for the teachers.

red sea

Post Thu, Jun 15 2006, 4:56 pm
my aunt actually likes when kids give all the fragrant bath product set stuff, much preferred over something that has to match to your taste.

luv2beamother

Post Thu, Jun 15 2006, 10:04 pm
I think it's the thought that counts. I mean, someone gives you a gift - you are touched. It doesnt really matter what it is.
(You can chip in with another parent and get a book or something. or whatever you want to give. DONT FEEL BAD. that's ridiculous.)

imaamy

Post Thu, Jun 15 2006, 11:37 pm
We haven't been asked this year, amazingly, but it isn't "whatever you can give", it is "we are collecting $25 or more from each family. Please put it in an envelope in such and such place." Who doesn't feel bad if they can't go along with that? Tacky.

raizy

Post Sun, Jun 18 2006, 1:59 am
thank you all . u just reminded me that I still havent given in my purim money. I had a hard time then a wedding and a baby. and I plain forgot. I guess it is never to late to hand in the dough!!!

amother

Post Thu, Jun 22 2006, 7:49 pm
I very often buy the teachers the artscroll pocket books. I make sure there is a sticker from the store on the outside of the wrapping paper, so they know where to return it if they choose. After the 20% off on artscroll and an extra 10% off the store was offering it came out to about $7 a book. This year I bought R' Pliskin's "Thank You", and wrote just a little "thank you" etc...........I am not so creative, I never know what to do. I can use any ideas you ladies have for me. Thanks.

chen

Post Fri, Jun 23 2006, 10:17 am
amother wrote:
I am not so creative, I never know what to do.

Don't worry, it's much less important to give a "creative" gift, in which the emphasis is really on us (wow! aren't you clever-cute-adorable-original) and more important to give one that will actually be used, even if it is completely stereotyped.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Jun 23 2006, 10:21 am
I agree, when people receive gifts, they'd much rather a practical gift than something that's creative.

I'd rather get a gift certificate to Target than some macaroni necklace that a kid made.

chen

Post Fri, Jun 23 2006, 10:42 am
DefyGravity wrote:

I'd rather get a gift certificate to Target than some macaroni necklace that a kid made.

But, defy, you could always COOK the macaroni! LOL

newmom

Post Sun, Jun 25 2006, 9:07 pm
If you only have $5 to spend and want to give a little something, then buy a little something, but DO NOT give a teacher $5. A personal note of appreciation is always a nice thing to give as well.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Jun 25 2006, 9:35 pm
on the subjects of gifts, I was wondering... I teach in a frum school in CH and I recieved 6 gifts (from 6 students) out of 25 children that I teach. ... is that an average percent? Confused

gryp

Post Sun, Jun 25 2006, 9:36 pm
what did you get Chanukah and Purim time?
I dont think CH'ers are so into end of the year gifts.

lamplighter

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 2:15 pm
chanuka = $200

purim = Shaloch Manos from around 8 children (some of which were nosh/childish)

im not complaining, obviously im not n it for the gifts...and certainly no te money Wink but I was wondering if this was average an if anyone has any speculations regarding such a low average.

chen

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 4:40 pm
what and how much you get will depend on how well-liked you are and how well-off and how generous the families you teach are. People who teach in Conservative or Reform schools tend to make out like bandits. yeshivos, well...given the usual family size and the usual family income, you can't expect much.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics