Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Undescended testes/ pediatric urologist

wtvr

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 1:30 pm
Anyone have experience with this?

Can anyone recommend a pediatric urologist in New York, and resources to research this?

Thanks.

gw

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 6:04 pm
my baby was repaired at 6 months of age, by Dr. Schlussel. Affiliated with Engelwood Hospital and Columbia Presbyterian.

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 6:11 pm
good luck - I knew of someone with this issue as a baby and he's a perfectly happy tatty now ...

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 6:27 pm
Dr. Lane Palmer. He's really good - Long Island pediatric Urology - does it at Children's Schneider's hospital. Top of the field. You can google him or look at his website. He's head of a bunch of pediatric urology things.

http://www.pedsurology.com/bio_palmer.htm

"Dr. Palmer is the Chief of Pediatric Urology at both Schneider Children’s Hospital and North Shore University Hospital. He received his medical education at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. His urology residency was also obtained at Einstein. He did his fellowship in Pediatric Urology at Children’s Memorial Hospital in Chicago.

Dr. Palmer has an international, national, and local reputation having authored over 70 articles and serving as a reviewer for every major urology journal. He sits on the advisory boards of the National Kidney Foundation and the Kidney and Urology Foundation of America. Dr. Palmer’s areas of expertise include reconstructive urologic surgery, the evaluation and management of prenatal urologic anomalies, and bladder dysfunction, neurourology and urodynamics.

Dr. Palmer sees patients in our Long Island office in Lake Success. Surgery is performed at Schneider Children’s Hospital, North Shore University Hospital, and Huntington Hospital..."

yo'ma

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 6:47 pm
Other pple resonded. If you still want from me, tell me, please.

Aribenj

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 8:54 pm
I don't know any doctors, but I do know someone who had this diagnosed at age 5 shock And had to have surgery, but is now a healthy guy, and has 2 kids and counting...

wtvr

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 9:21 pm
Mimi,

Did you, or anyone you know, use him?

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 10:28 pm
Yes I used him. He's very nice and very good. He's in a practice with a bunch of doctors and you can look at their website for all of the things he does. When ds was "diagnosed," with a kind of undescended testicle, his actually, never made it to the right place, in the tube, his was on the thigh, I FREAKED OUT. Then, I looked online at the other things they do there and thanked Hashem, because as the doctor said, this is the easiest, least invasive thing they do.

He may do 10 surgeries in one day, most of which are undescended testicles. He has certain days that he puts all the surgeries in and then is in the office the other days.

B"H everything went as planned and if chv I have to do it with another son(don't have one yet Smile ) I'd go back to them.

Ds was in and out of the hospital w/in a few hours. This includes everything. Just bring him in Pjs.

It might be scary for you because it is surgery, but the baby who went in before us was born with a p@nis that wasn't made properly - they were in there for a long time with him.

Undescended testicle is easy and normal for them. They do everything, and I mean everything. Just check out their website. It's really sad what issues there are out there.

Anyway, yes I had him for ds and totally recommend him.

shoy18

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 10:32 pm
my son had this and it was repaired at 18 monthes by a dr in culombia, I completly forgot his name but if you need it I can get it for you.

wtvr

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 10:48 pm
Thanks Mimi.

On my insurance's website it says he is not accepting new patients. I will call the office tomorrow and see.

Shoy18, if you can find out his name, that would be great.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 11:44 pm
Definitely call, sometimes it says that, and they still will take you.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 12:47 am
I hav heard that Schlussel in Engelwood is tops in the field and has an amazing reputation.

(from Columbia's Website)

Richard N. Schlussel, M.D.
Dr. Richard N. Schlussel is currently an Assistant Professor of Urology at Columbia University 's Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital of New York . After getting his degree from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in 1986, he completed his residency in Urology at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York . Dr. Schlussel did his fellowship training in Pediatric Urology at Harvard's Boston Children's Hospital. He returned to Mount Sinai as the Chief of Pediatric Urology in 1994. He has been on staff at Children's Hospital of New York since 2003.

Dr. Schlussel has done research in fetal kidney development as well as with biotechnology companies to search for novel tissue replacements. His clinical areas of expertise are all areas of Pediatric Urology including the management of urinary tract anomalies diagnosed in pregnancy; genital surgery (including hypospadias and epispadias); and urinary tract reconstruction (including ureteral reimplantation, cystoscopic correction of reflux, bladder reconstruction etc.). Dr. Schlussel has significant expertise in pediatric laparoscopic surgery of the kidney and ureter and is the leading robotic laparoscopic surgeon at Children's Hospital.

Dr. Schlussel has worked with the international organization Healing The Children and has been the Trip Chief for surgical missions to the Dominican Republic , Kenya and Armenia . He has lectured at many hospitals and national forums on Pediatric Urology and has authored multiple articles and textbook chapters.

amother

Post Sat, Sep 27 2008, 11:56 pm
How does one know if their DS has undescended testes? Is this something a dr. notices from birth?

Cdlf

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 12:02 am
yes

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 12:15 am
It's def. something the doc. looks for and notices in the baby's first couple of visits. They didn't mention it at the hospital but did when at the doctor.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 5:04 pm
Does anyone know if dr. schlussel accepts HIP or Americhoice. I just got home from the pediatrician and tried to call and the lady was very obnoxious and unhelpful

so I will try back tomorrow but if you know what kind of insurance he accepts please post.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 5:55 pm
Dr Glassberg is very good. He is in B.P. once a week. He operates In columbia I believe.

MommyZ

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 6:03 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Dr Glassberg is very good. He is in B.P. once a week. He operates In columbia I believe.

Thank you. I will try to take ds to see him in Manhattan Smile.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 2:33 pm
Aribenj wrote:
but I do know someone who had this diagnosed at age 5 shock

Don't know about that child but my son was diagnosed as an almost newborn with this we went to a ped. urologist who told us it would descend by age one and it was ok at age 1,2,3 it seemed to be doing alright at his well visits at age 4 suddenly it stopped making normal appearances and kept on going back up more and more often till eventually took him back and dr. said its time for surgery which is where we are holding now so there are circumstances where things are left alone for a while and then reevaluated.

Is there anyone here who has personally used Dr. Schlussel as we've been recommended to go to him?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics