Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Whats going on with osem onion soup mix?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

rivk241

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 7:42 pm
I live in monsey and tried all the groceries here and no onion soup mix- osem? anyone know whats going on with it?

pina colada

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 7:43 pm
same issue where I live. as per my grocer, the supplier is out of it.

rivk241

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 7:48 pm
that doesnt make any sense!

wwmom

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 7:55 pm
I have the same issue, tried tons of stores with no luck.

anonymom

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 8:47 pm
Do you mean those little 10 calorie packets? I've been looking for them too.

I bought instead a can(looks like a peanut can) of "Onion Soup and Seasoning" from Shlome's Kitchen. It worked well enough to season the rice.

navacooper

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 9:01 pm
I just bought some today at Rockland Kosher -- the 3-ounce packet. Did you try there? It's on the aisle with the spices, I think...

Tefila

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 9:04 pm
B'h
I can get the chicken one here no problem though imho it does nothing for a chicken flavor, it does spice up what I already make.

estie6

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 9:30 pm
whats this fascination with onion soup mix??
am I missing something here??

yentaof8

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 9:47 pm
OMG, I thought it was just me not being able to find it. We're talking about the yellow canister ones, right? Well I just bought the SHloimys kosher kitchen one bc I needed something - guess where? Rockland Kosher, I must have bumped into the above poster there today - but I don't live in Monsey, though! OSEM ONION SOUP MIX is a staple of mine since I use it to flavor my rice, and in a sauce for my chicken.

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 10:04 pm
estie6 wrote:
whats this fascination with onion soup mix??
am I missing something here??

It's a good quick seasoning blend for chefs who are in a hurry or having a lazy moment...

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 10:06 pm
yentaof8 wrote:
OMG, I thought it was just me not being able to find it. We're talking about the yellow canister ones, right? Well I just bought the SHloimys kosher kitchen one bc I needed something - guess where? Rockland Kosher, I must have bumped into the above poster there today - but I don't live in Monsey, though! OSEM ONION SOUP MIX is a staple of mine since I use it to flavor my rice, and in a sauce for my chicken.

There were a bunch of 'em lined up not in the spice section, right? I saw it there today.

Marigold

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 10:09 pm
OMG! I've been scouring the spice shelves for as long as I can remember. I thought my eyes must be aging!

yo'ma

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 10:41 pm
That's so funny because I needed it tonight, but didn't have it, so I used chicken soup mix instead. I hope the food will taste fine anyway, probably will. I wonder if I can find it here.

pina colada

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 10:48 pm
yentaof8 wrote:
OSEM ONION SOUP MIX is a staple of mine since I use it to flavor my rice, and in a sauce for my chicken.

OT, but you know its loaded with msg. (I try not to use it weekly but for fancy YT cooking, I do use it)

sarachana

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 10:59 pm
ladies this stuff is loaded with msg!!!!!! its very toxic! its an excitotoxin...google it if that word is french to you....and go to msgmyth.com and get educated!

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 12:09 am
There are no MSG mixes that I use.

bubby

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 12:19 am
You probably can't get it because I have 4 containers...I keep forgetting I have it & buy more.

MSG? Too bad, it is great in so many things. It is very high in salt, which is bad. MSG isn't sodium, is it?

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 12:51 am
it definitely has MSG. I limit its use; I only put it into cholent and once in a blue moon in a chicken coating recipe.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 2:05 am
pina colada wrote:
yentaof8 wrote:
OSEM ONION SOUP MIX is a staple of mine since I use it to flavor my rice, and in a sauce for my chicken.

OT, but you know its loaded with msg. (I try not to use it weekly but for fancy YT cooking, I do use it)

I was just about to post the exact same post. MSG, people. How can you use the stuff?

pina colada

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 2:37 am
ChossidMom wrote:
pina colada wrote:
yentaof8 wrote:

I was just about to post the exact same post. MSG, people. How can you use the stuff?

I use it like four times a year.

I hate to sound like a health nut so I bite my tongue and don't say anything when my neighbors talk about the rice they use it in weekly (along with trans fat marg, but that's for another time Wink), the lo mein they use it in weekly.........
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus