Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Onion kugel
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 3:20 pm
Thanks.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 4:20 pm
I just made this and it smells and looks heavenly -- it is so tempting to taste it, but I won't go off my diet for anything at this point.

I'll have to wait until Sukkos for a taste (when I'll be at a point in maintenance which allows me to do so).

Thanks so much for the recipe.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 5:46 pm
ra_mom wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:
Does this cut into neat squares (and does it cut better when warm/hot or cold)?

Thanks.
It basically cuts neatly. Just make sure the pack / pat down the onion batter once it's in the the pan. It cuts a bit better when it's cold.

I make it all the time in a silicone muffin pan. I tried it first as a kugel and it tasted great, but looked messy, but as muffins they look so cute, and very easy. Made a batch on Friday, got about 20 muffins and froze half, will do another double batch before yom tov.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 5:49 pm
yOungM0mmy wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

Thanks.
It basically cuts neatly. Just make sure the pack / pat down the onion batter once it's in the the pan. It cuts a bit better when it's cold.

I make it all the time in a silicone muffin pan. I tried it first as a kugel and it tasted great, but looked messy, but as muffins they look so cute, and very easy. Made a batch on Friday, got about 20 muffins and froze half, will do another double batch before yom tov.

That's a real nice idea if you're serving a plated meal rather than family style. I'll keep it in mind (don't have a silicone muffin pan, but I think DD does).

yOungM0mmy

Post Mon, Aug 23 2010, 4:12 am
OOTBubby wrote:
yOungM0mmy wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

Thanks.

That's a real nice idea if you're serving a plated meal rather than family style. I'll keep it in mind (don't have a silicone muffin pan, but I think DD does).

I never serve plated - DH hates it! I just put a platter of muffins on the table, same as I put my bowl of salad or whatever, and it passes round and people take. I guess you can grease a regular muffin/cupcake tray, and it should work fine too, the silicone just makes it really easy, and it slides right out.

mominlkwd

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 7:35 pm
Can you freeze this raw?? Has anyone tried that?

Hippi Dippi

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 1:25 pm
I made a triple batch today (wanted to finish up the eggs I had around before we leave for America), and it was REALLY REALLY GOOD! I used whole wheat flour, a bit more than half the oil, and 1/3rd less salt. Fantastic!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 3:27 pm
Anyone ever try adding mushrooms to this?
And how many muffins (standard cupcake size) would this make?
Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 1:03 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Anyone ever try adding mushrooms to this?
And how many muffins (standard cupcake size) would this make?
Thanks!
This recipe makes 24 muffins. But they fall and are very tiny.

Marigold

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 4:53 pm
This recipe sounds just up my alley and I'd like to try it tonight. Will one recipe fill up a round 9" pan or will it be too low? Or, is it better/nicer to do it in the 7X11 rectangular size...is that the food storage one?

TIA!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 5:42 pm
Paddington Bear wrote:
This recipe sounds just up my alley and I'd like to try it tonight. Will one recipe fill up a round 9" pan or will it be too low? Or, is it better/nicer to do it in the 7X11 rectangular size...is that the food storage one?

TIA!
The batter will not be too low in a 9" round pan. If anything it might be too high and you may have to use another very small pan for remaining batter.

Marigold

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 9:33 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Paddington Bear wrote:

TIA!
The batter will not be too low in a 9" round pan. If anything it might be too high and you may have to use another very small pan for remaining batter.

Thanks (your a life-saver Smile .)
should I rather do it in the 7x11? (never made any onion kugels)

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 10:03 pm
Paddington Bear wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Paddington Bear wrote:

TIA!

You can do it either way.
Often I just divide the batter into small square/rectangular pans, because we aren't big kugel eaters around here, and like this I don't have leftovers.

Marigold

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 11:22 pm
[quote="ra_mom"]
Paddington Bear wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Paddington Bear wrote:

TIA!

You can do it either way.
Often I just divide the batter into small square/rectangular pans, because we aren't big kugel eaters around here, and like this I don't have leftovers.[/quote

Thanks much!

BoomChickaPop

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 9:30 pm
does it get baked covered or uncovered? I had a hard time finding a 7x11 pan, the pan I ended up with looks smaller than a 9x13, and is very deep, it seemed the closest to what a 7x11 would be, hope it's ok.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 10:31 pm
HappyHome wrote:
does it get baked covered or uncovered? I had a hard time finding a 7x11 pan, the pan I ended up with looks smaller than a 9x13, and is very deep, it seemed the closest to what a 7x11 would be, hope it's ok.
Uncovered.
That size pan sounds about right.

sofaraway

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 12:38 am
[/quote]This recipe makes 24 muffins. But they fall and are very tiny.[/quote]

So I took this advice into account and decided to be smart. I made only 12 muffins out of this recipe so they wouldn't be flat and tiny.
Well, they came out so big, I think they lost of their sweetness or texture...
Being that this is the second no fail recipe from here that I master to fail, I guess I am not such a great cook, after all... Confused

cookielady

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 1:49 am
I decided to give this recipe a try. It was so easy and fast. I made two 8" square pans. My kids took one straight to the succah and finished it off. I saved the other for Y"T. I may need to bake more because it's really that good!

Zus

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 2:32 am
I can't wait to try the kugel I made!

realeez

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 7:41 am
I made this for RH and it was great. I subbed 1/4 cup apple sauce and only put 1/4 cup oil. I also did 3 eggs plus 2 whites.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes