Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Skydiving!!!

bonzie

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 6:13 am
my brother just gave us our wedding present (better late than never) -----ready?? a sponsored trip for me and my husband to skydive!!! we both really want to go, but is it a responsible thing to do being parents, and halachacly ok?

willow

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 6:21 am
Wow bonzie what made them think of such a gift? I think it is a neat idea and probably tons of fun if you like that type of thing. About it being halachaly permissable I have no idea. All I know is that my dh and I were planning to go up in a plane by ourselves ( dh knows how to fly) and our parents totally squashed the idea because of the baby.
Keep me posted with what you do.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 9:13 am
There is a reason that I have a problem with this. I went to high school with a girl who had some emotional issues. She got married and decided to go skydiving in the fifth month of pregnancy. The chute either did not open, or she got dizzy and didn't open it, or it was just plain suicide. I realize that modern equipment is more reliable and that you tootsiepies would not try this stunt while pg, but I have also heard that there is some halacha about taking risks with one's life. You probably have to sign all kinds of forms stating that you will not sue them or hold them accountable. There has just got to be some safer way to have fun.

willow

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 9:59 am
Quote:
I went to high school with a girl who had some emotional issues. She got married and decided to go skydiving in the fifth month of pregnancy. "

What and those morons let her on? THere are signs everywhere especially on these types of rides that pregnant ppl can not go on. Confused

willow

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 10:01 am
[/quote]There has just got to be some safer way to have fun.[quote]

yeah you are right Wink

bonzie

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 10:46 am
Quote:

There is a reason that I have a problem with this. I went to high school with a girl who had some emotional issues. She got married and decided to go skydiving in the fifth month of pregnancy. The chute either did not open, or she got dizzy and didn't open it, or it was just plain suicide. I realize that modern equipment is more reliable and that you tootsiepies would not try this stunt while pg, but I have also heard that there is some halacha about taking risks with one's life. You probably have to sign all kinds of forms stating that you will not sue them or hold them accountable. There has just got to be some safer way to have fun

thats really horrible, well I would never go pregnant OF COURSE, but we would go with an instructor who is trained and attached to the jumper, im too afraid to go by myself wut if I don't know how to pool the cord?

Wow bonzie what made them think of such a gift? I think it is a neat idea and probably tons of fun if you like that type of thing. About it being halachaly permissable I have no idea. All I know is that my dh and I were planning to go up in a plane by ourselves ( dh knows how to fly) and our parents totally squashed the idea because of the baby.
Keep me posted with what you do.

thats so cool willow! he's a pilot?

ChavieK

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 10:52 am
I would have loved to try skydiving. It wasn't as accesible when I was younger.But then I had kids & chickened out.

MommyLuv

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 10:58 am
skydiving while pregnant? was that girl nuts????

I tried it once and loved it...and I think I had my share of skydiving fun for a long while...

I dont see the halachic issues though. The equipment is VERY safe and tested all the time for problems...If you would ride a roller coaster withyour kids at DisneyWorld, I don't think skydiving is that much riskier...

.I could be wrong though....

if you do go...have fun!!!

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 11:47 am
Yes, she was nuts.

happyone

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 1:10 pm
what a cool gift!
wow!
Hope you live to tell the tale. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.

bonzie

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 1:14 pm
happyone wrote:
what a cool gift!
wow!
Hope you live to tell the tale. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.

if I get the guts to go LOL

Bell

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 5:35 am
I would def NOT go-- too many thinga can happen g-d 4bid w/out putting ourselves in harms way -- wh would u spec go and put yourself in a dangerous sitch?? btw-- my opinion would be diff if u did not have kids

chen

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 10:39 am
rather than speculate about the halachic implications, you know what you have to do: the standard imamother response (CYLOR). all other considerations are relevant only if you get the Ok from your rov.

assuming your rov says the sport is permitted--isn't there a MAJOR tznius issue here? Skydiving in a dress is obviously not going to work, and considering the number of ppl on this site who wouldn't wear pants even if designed for women even under a nightgown, there aren't too many options left.

happy2beme

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 10:42 am
I'm a wimp
just thinking about it gives me the shivers

stem

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 11:14 am
How would you keep your hair covered?

I heard of a woman who went skydiving for the first time, she was attached to an experienced skydiver. Unfortunately, the woman slipped out of the harness on the way down and died... this happened on the news a few weeks ago.

chen

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 1:23 pm
stem wrote:
How would you keep your hair covered?

That's easy: you wear a helmet strapped under your chin. That will hold your sheitel or snood in place. How would you keep your limbs covered unless you wear pants?

glad2Bme

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 3:44 pm
My DH asked me if I would let him go skydiving......

Ummmm.....NEVER!!!!!

nicole81

Post Wed, Jun 28 2006, 5:02 pm
my dh went skydiving about 4 times before we were together. now, as a parent, he would never go again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics