Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Deckle

malky800

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 12:41 pm
Is a deckle a roast?what's the best way to cook it for yom tov?

Tamiri

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 2:02 pm
It's a cheap brisket, IIRC. Cook whatever way you like on LOW heat, a 300-325F oven is best, tightly covered, with liquid, until a fork cuts through it like butter. Yum.

yo'ma

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 2:07 pm
Isn't that what corned beef is made out of?

jflower

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 2:43 pm
I bought a 'brust deckel' roast at Goldberg's in BP before Pesach. I had never bought one before, but noticed another shopper loading up on them. Of course I asked her how she prepared it and she told me it was a fave of her family and I believe she told me she used it for pot roast. So I bought 2 and they were a big hit. I used a big pot, seared the roast on both sides (about 5 min. each side until it browned a bit) then added water, onion and garlic.

I cooked it for about 2 hours, let it cool, sliced it and froze. I took it out of freezer as needed on Pesach. I served to my guests and my family and we all enjoyed. I have no idea if it's used for corned beef, though.

malky800

Post Sun, May 09 2010, 7:48 pm
that's it? just water, onions and garlic. that gives it enough taste. Do you make a sauce when you are ready to serve?

it doesnt' need those vegetables, like the carrots, celery and tomatoes?

jflower

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 11:33 am
You can add any vegetables you like, but I found that they got very soggy and not too interesting.

I served kugel and salads on the side, but definitely try adding veg and see if you like the result.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 10 2010, 12:01 pm
• 3 lb. roast
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 8 large cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 Tbsp Kosher salt
• 1-2 onions, chopped
• 1 parsnip, peeled
• 1-2 turkey drumsticks
• water

Place roast in a large Ziploc bag. Rub roast with a generous amount of salt, fresh garlic, and olive oil. Massage seasoning into roast through the bag. Zip closed, place in refrigerator and marinate for 24 hours.
Sauté onions in a size appropriate pot. (Important step. Pot should just fit roast and drumstick/s – there shouldn’t be extra room.)
Place marinated roast into pot. Do not add water. Turn flame to lowest setting and allow roast to change color on both sides, for about 1 hour. (Roast should not brown. Just change color on super low flame.)
Add the drumsticks to the pot. This will help keep the roast moist.
Add parsnip to pot. This will give added flavor.
Add water to cover 3/4 of roast, or to almost cover meat. Cook up. Simmer for about 1-2 hours. Allow roast to cool completely in pot with liquid. This may take time.
Reserve liquid in container. Place liquid and roast in fridge separately. Slice meat only once it is completely cold.
Meat slices and liquid freeze very well. (Freeze or refrigerate them separately.)
To reheat meat slices, bake them in a covered pan with glaze on top.
Or cook them up in a combination of the reserved liquid gravy and a sauce or glaze. Or

(If you do not plan on serving meat in a sauce, and will only reheat in the cooking gravy (delicious that way!), add more salt when marinating roast.)

Glaze/Sauce
• 1 cup ketchup
• 1/2 cup orange juice
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 2½ tsp dried minced onion
• 1½ tsp salt
• 1 - 2 tsp black pepper

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Apr 01 2015, 6:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 5:08 pm
ra_mom wrote:

1-2 turkey drumsticks

Any ideas how to make use of the meat from the drumsticks after cooking? No one in my family would eat it as is.

Thanks.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 6:48 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

1-2 turkey drumsticks

Any ideas how to make use of the meat from the drumsticks after cooking? No one in my family would eat it as is.

Thanks.
I usually eat it as is all by myself with some coarse salt sprinkled on it. Smile

But you can place it in a pan with a sauce of 1 part ketchup / 1 part brown sugar poured over it, and bake it uncovered.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Aug 18 2010, 6:52 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I usually eat it as is all by myself with some coarse salt sprinkled on it. Smile

But you can place it in a pan with a sauce of 1 part ketchup / 1 part brown sugar poured over it, and bake it uncovered.

Thanks.

Lilkingdom

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 2:49 am
ra_mom wrote:
• 3 lb. roast
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 8 large cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 Tbsp Kosher salt
• 1-2 onions, chopped
• 1 parsnip, peeled
• 1-2 turkey drumsticks
• water

Place roast in a large Ziploc bag. Rub roast with a generous amount of salt, fresh garlic, and olive oil. Massage seasoning into roast through the bag. Zip closed, place in refrigerator and marinate for 24 hours.
Sauté onions in a size appropriate pot. (Important step. Pot should just fit roast and drumstick/s – there shouldn’t be extra room.)
Place marinated roast into pot. Do not add water. Turn flame to lowest setting and allow roast to change color on both sides, for about 1 hour. (Roast should not brown. Just change color on super low flame.)
Add the drumsticks to the pot. This will help keep the roast moist.
Add parsnip to pot. This will give added flavor.
Add water to cover 3/4 of roast, or to almost cover meat. Cook up. Simmer for about 1 hour. Allow roast to cool completely in pot with liquid. This may take time.
Reserve liquid in container. Place liquid and roast in fridge separately. Slice meat only once it is completely cold.
Meat slices and liquid freeze very well. (Freeze or refrigerate them separately.)
To reheat meat slices, cook them up in a combination of the reserved liquid gravy and a sauce or glaze.

(If you do not plan on serving meat in a sauce, and will only reheat in the cooking gravy (delicious that way!), add more salt when marinating roast.)

Glaze/Sauce
• 1 cup ketchup
• 1/2 cup orange juice
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 2½ tsp dried minced onion
• 1½ tsp salt
• 1 - 2 tsp black pepper

can I use this recipe for boneless sliced chuck eye?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 11:49 am
I've never tried it with slices, but I am sure it could work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics