Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cutesy mezuzah covers

pobody's nerfect

Post Mon, Aug 17 2009, 11:54 am
We just moved to a bigger apartment which, naturally, has more doorframes, requiring us to buy more mezuzahs. the klafs are already hanging, but we're 2 cases short. I've been looking online (small town, no judaica stores) and found some really cute ones to put on the room which will very soon iyH be for our baby. then I started thinking, maybe it is not so kovadik to have a teddy bear or balloons on an item that is so full of kedusha. but then again, can't a cute teddy bear do hiddur mitzvah just like a silver decoration?
my husband may veto the cutesy ones, but I'm curious anyway what people think.

what's your opinion?

dee's mommy

Post Mon, Aug 17 2009, 12:11 pm
In my opinion, I would just use a plain cover. The cutesy covers may be cute, but the children will grow out of it sooner or later. I suppose one could always change the cover once the child considers the cover to be "babyish" but this is just my opinion.

Mommy F.

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 1:56 pm
I think the cutesy mezuzah's are cute!
I never heard of anyone saying they're not bekovodik.
If you could afford them why not?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 2:37 pm
Maybe you will get a gift.

louche

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 5:57 pm
I wouldn't go for teddy bears or indeed any other secular image--I agree that it somehow trivializes the mitzvah. I've seen cute Jewish-themed ones, along the lines of a drawing of a sweet little girl or boy standing on tiptoe to reach the mezuzah. I agree that the kids will eventually outgrow that image; if it were a big item I would nix it, but a mezuzah is relatively small and most of the time no one is really looking at the artwork, just aiming in the general direction of the doorpost. And a mezuzah case is also a relatively inexpensive item of home decor, so if in 8 or 10 years the kids have completely had it with the cute little kid on the doorpost, switching to a more mature theme won't break the bank.

mamommommy

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 6:13 pm
I second the idea of a cutesy Jewish-themed one. I got a Noah's Ark one as a gift for one of my kids I really like it and it's still on the door of my now 11 year old son who still couldn't care less what kind of mezuzah case is on his door.

shanie5

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 7:13 pm
I love my chef mezuza case on the kitchen doorway!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics