Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How do you dry wet hamsters who got caught in the rain?
Previous  1  2

JAWSCIENCE

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 10:27 am
I work with mice, but a lot of the information is similar.

When we have a water leak in a cage to dry off the mice we rub the fur a little with a paper towel then put them in a clean cage and then place the new cage under a heating lamp. Note: make sure the hamsters do not get too hot. This can happen if you leave them under for too long. They will start to look lethargic and then sort of plop themselves down in the corner of the cage farthest from the lamp. This is a sign you are boiling them. Just move the cage a little further away from the lamp to reduce the heat.

Most murdering mice tend to be males. When male rodents grow up they can get very aggressive with each other unless they are litter mates. Sometimes even if they are littler mates. The pet shop should be giving you all hamsters of the same gender (make sure they do this. I have seen them screw it up). You can try asking for females next time, but then you might attract feral rodents.

chatouli

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 11:36 am
I'm sensing some animosity. You and the hammies need some therapy to work out your issues, clearly. Or in the alternative, let them sunbathe a little. Maybe there's a nice cat nearby who'd like to warm up the hamsters in his mouth? You are in Israel after all, shouldn't there be at least six stray cats looking for Shabbos dinner nearby?

louche

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 12:36 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Fön is yiddish, no?

For "flag".

louche

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 12:41 pm
What goes around comes around. I am spewing coffee everywhere!

Are you Mrs. Natan Slifkin, by any chance? But no, you didn't mention any reeeeellly exotic animals.

shanie5

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 4:24 pm
Tamiri wrote:
shanie5 wrote:
Are these hamsters kept in the same cage? How long have u had them? We had hamsters in the same cage -and for a while they were fine. Then, well, lets say it probably would have been better if we nuked them!!
So I guess you missed the part about Hammie the Murderer. He has succesfully murdered at least 2!!!!! of his mates. So, he's kept in Hamster Siberia, aka "THE BUCKET". We have a huge bucket from Costco (to give you an indication of huge) that came filled with sand toys. And thence he makes his farshtunkeneh home. I keep threatening to toss him into the woods to feed him to the lizards an snakes but the tears welling up in my DS4's grey eyes and his trembling upper lip when I tell him this, prevent me from carrying out the execution. Or from executing the hamster. Whichever comes first. In fact, on Wed. when I requested he clean the cages and bucket and he "didn't hear", I figured I'd do it myself. So I put all three hamsters together in one cage and ignored the hissing. Poor DS#4 totally lost it. He came crying to me that Hammie was murdering the others, they were all bloody, WORSE than the hamsters Hammie actually killed and that I was a TERRIBLE mother for putting them all together and they will all die or something even worse than that. Yada yada yada. Anyway, I'm sad to say that all reports of those hamsters early demise were greatly exaggerated. Everyone survived Hammies vicious attack, the cages never did get cleaned that day, and that is why they were rained on today erev Shabbat.
So that's Hammie. In the bucket.
We have a larger cage for another hamster then a smaller cage for the third hamster.
Did you read the bodice ripper thread, about how royalty slept in different bedrooms and this is a good way to keep offspring to a minimum? But I digress.....

Actually, it was your hammie the murdering hamster that reminded me of our hamsters that got along great together-until the day one ate the others head off!!

Tamiri

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 7:57 am
I'm not going to say "I told you so" but.... these hamsters (besides Hammie) are brilliant, just like the rest of the family. The two hamsters in cages, after we put them back in their cleaned homes (how much did you say a cleaning lady gets?) simply jumped on the treadmill, each on their own machine respectively and warmed themselves off by running! They even dried off with the tiny monogrammed hamster towels I provide fresh, on a daily basis. Man, we sure have brilliant hamsters. I do draw the line at mani/pedi and personal trainers.
Besides Hammie. I don't care how he dried off. We're working on that in therapy.

So now we just have coco the cockatoo to teach how to clean his own cage. You'd think that a bird so good about his own grooming that he picks at his feathers all day long would care a bit more about how he leaves him room, wouldn't you? But no! Diry, used feathers are all over the floor. He does his thang wherever the mood strikes, and just leaves it!

shosh

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 8:13 am
I'm so glad that you have finally told us the end of the hamster story. Apart from wondering how our homemade regency romance was going to end (see other thread), I spent the whole of Shabbos wondering what happened to your hamsters. And then, I couldn't even get into Imamother to find out last night (and neither could you write it!)

Thank you so much for putting me out of my misery. Now I can concentrate on the rest of my work (till my kids, who are far messier than your cockatoo!) get home in twenty minutes!

JC

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 9:20 am
Tamiri wrote:

So now we just have coco the cockatoo to teach how to clean his own cage. You'd think that a bird so good about his own grooming that he picks at his feathers all day long would care a bit more about how he leaves him room, wouldn't you? But no! Diry, used feathers are all over the floor. He does his thang wherever the mood strikes, and just leaves it!

perhaps this boy can help you with this issue

Ilovehashem26

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 12:00 pm
my mom would love this thread. she threatened to get rid of my "mice" all the time...but she cried with me when my brother smooshed one by accident.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 12:04 pm
My hamsters don't hear the flusher's frequency. I doubt my boys do, either. Nah, just joking.
The hamsters are great about flushing.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics