Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Jews/non jews/converts
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 29 2006, 7:12 pm
Ruchel, if you are driving to paris to go to resturants, most shuls have shiurim and programmes during the week that you could go to. Why don't you find a nice Shul where they have shiurim on a weekday, and go there. Try different ones till you find a shul you are comfortable with, and a Rabbi that you respect. (and your husband respects)

I'm sure you would enjoy meeting people who are similar to you on a religious level. It is hard being the "frum" person in town - but you live right next to paris where there must be tens of thousands of frum people of all different levels. And the plus side - you will learn more about Yiddishkiet. (I'm sure no one will be forcing you to start keeping chalav yisrael etc!)

On a side note...I'm wondering if it is hard for you to relate to the other frum people in France because they are mostly sefardi? I know I was just talking to a french friend who is moving to London. Her father is portugese sefardi and his family lived in France for many generations, and her mother is a french gioress. She said she just doesn't fit in in Paris, her background is too different.

happy2beme

Post Fri, Jun 30 2006, 10:30 am
Quote:
We should never feel fully comfortable with where we're holding; as I said, a Jew should always be striving higher. It's not a matter of changing your identity, it's just aiming for something bigger and better.

Quote:
ruchel wrote: I'm already not fully comfortable with being "the only weirdo who does X or Y". I already find some things very annoying. But globally yes I'm fine with my level, and sorry but it is important to me. I can't think of something more I could do without being totally uncomfortable. But if you have ideas...

u can strive higher without people saying ur a weirdo!!

how about when u daven to try to have more kavana or try not to use bad language nor speak lashon harah about others. there's tons of things u can strive higher with - without others knowing what you do & calling u a weirdo.

personally, no I'm not happy where I am.
I know I have to work on my lashon harah & my kavanah during davening & controlling my emotions...
embarrassed yes, it's embarassing to say, but I'm only human & have bad characteristics. I have to work on myself & I would love to be on a higher level in the near future.
(yes, I know it's lashon harah to say bad stuff about myself, but I'm hoping it will help)

happy2beme

Post Fri, Jun 30 2006, 10:43 am
ruchel, lets make this interesting!
if u go to an ultra-orthodox gathering in paris during the week, every time I see ur posts on imamother I'll have to post for a week:
"I LOVE YOU, RUCHEL :-* "

but if u don't, u'll have to post the same for me Wink

do u take upon the dare? Very Happy

added bonus, u can tell us about the experience!!

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Jun 30 2006, 10:52 am
happy2beme wrote:
Quote:
We should never feel fully comfortable with where we're holding; as I said, a Jew should always be striving higher. It's not a matter of changing your identity, it's just aiming for something bigger and better.

Quote:
ruchel wrote: I'm already not fully comfortable with being "the only weirdo who does X or Y". I already find some things very annoying. But globally yes I'm fine with my level, and sorry but it is important to me. I can't think of something more I could do without being totally uncomfortable. But if you have ideas...

how about when u daven to try to have more kavana or try not to use bad language nor speak lashon harah about others. there's tons of things u can strive higher with - without others knowing what you do & calling u a weirdo.

I know I have to work on my lashon harah & my kavanah during davening & controlling my emotions...
embarrassed yes, it's embarassing to say, but I'm only human & have bad characteristics. I have to work on myself & I would love to be on a higher level in the near future.

ditto embarrassed

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 30 2006, 11:09 am
Quote:
Ruchel, if you are driving to paris to go to resturants, most shuls have shiurim and programmes during the week that you could go to.

true, I’ll see what I can do about that.

Quote:
I'm sure you would enjoy meeting people who are similar to you on a religious level. It is hard being the "frum" person in town

Ditto

Quote:
but you live right next to paris where there must be tens of thousands of frum people of all different levels.

True, although it’s difficult to find people between very Orthodox and MO very liberal (that’s why I found my husband in another country).

Quote:

On a side note...I'm wondering if it is hard for you to relate to the other frum people in France because they are mostly sefardi?

Well, the Ashk. are generally either traditional or less, or extremely frum. And it’s true that the North African rite and mentality is something totally foreign to me...

Quote:

Only if they don’t notice.

Quote:

That’s a good idea, thanks!!!

Quote:
controlling my emotions...

I need that too, although I didn’t see it as a religious thing.

Quote:

(yes, I know it's lashon harah to say bad stuff about myself, but I'm hoping it will help)

I’m sure it will, these are good ideas

Quote:

if u go to an ultra-orthodox gathering in paris during the week, every time I see ur posts on Imamother I'll have to post for a week:

but if u don't, u'll have to post the same for me

do u take upon the dare?

LOOOOOOOL
Honestly, no problem, I’ll look for one. My fav great aunt is ultra orthodox, I’ve spent days and days with her, I used to go to ultra O scouts, I have a great relationship with my chassidic cousins from Bnei Brak. I’m also not shy and although I would definitely feel different I’m very used to that feeling.
Can I count Lubavich as ultra Orthodox? I know that here they are definitely considered so.

mumsy23

Post Fri, Jun 30 2006, 11:14 am
only1 wrote:
happy2beme wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

ditto embarrassed

me three embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

I wonder if there is some kind of "support group" we can start to help ourselves with "growing in yiddishkeit". Sort of like "weight loss buddies" but with yiddishkeit. I think it would really help me....

willow

Post Fri, Jun 30 2006, 11:58 am
happy2beme wrote:
if u go to an ultra-orthodox gathering in paris during the week, every time I see ur posts on Imamother I'll have to post for a week:

but if u don't, u'll have to post the same for me Wink

do u take upon the dare? Very Happy

Lol very cute. But like mumsy23 said I do think that having a support buddy for growing spiritually is a great idea

faigie

Post Mon, Jul 03 2006, 8:25 pm
yeeesh half you guys sound like vultures. back of already. you pounce on people like youre so perfect yourself. the visousness is amazing.
ps.
france rots (and I can say that , ive got ancestors from there)

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 2:13 pm
faigie wrote:

france rots (and I can say that , ive got ancestors from there)

I couldn't live anywhere else, life is too easy here (and I can say that, I've been living there for soon 22 years).
Rolling Eyes

faigie

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 2:40 pm
how could it be easy with jews getting beaten up in the streets? sounds so scary to me.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 2:55 pm
faigie wrote:
how could it be easy with jews getting beaten up in the streets? sounds so scary to me.

Come here and see how many Jews are beaten up in the streets... yes there are bad areas where white people are beaten up in the streets, Jews included. But if people prefer a 200m2 in a bad area to a 80m2 in a ok one, it's not my fault.

JRKmommy

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 3:18 pm
Re the inquisition: I recently read "The Ghost of Hannah Mendes" by Naomi Ragen. Anyone else read it? Anyone else familiar with the story of Dona Gracia Nasi - one of the most powerful and heroic Jewish women of the Middle Ages?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 04 2006, 3:21 pm
JRKmommy wrote:
Re the inquisition: I recently read "The Ghost of Hannah Mendes" by Naomi Ragen. Anyone else read it? Anyone else familiar with the story of Dona Gracia Nasi - one of the most powerful and heroic Jewish women of the Middle Ages?

I've read another biography of her. What a strong woman she was, she was so great!
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics