Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Non- stop

amother

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 5:57 pm
How do you deal with your kids when they don't stop talking to you about everything, keep asking for drinks, food, toys, this that and just the never ending list of things to do for them. I'm tired.

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 6:41 pm
Wow, you sound overwhelmed! Can you prepare a little bag of snacks, drinks, and toys for each kid and say, "Mommy needs a little alone time now. You have snacks, toys, and drinks, so please don't ask Mommy for anything for the next half hour!"

Can you maybe get a high school girl for a couple of hours so you can take a nap, go out for a little bit, or just have a reprieve?

Mommy F.

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 6:51 pm
Interesting post . . .

how many children do you have?

Can you get the older ones to help with the younger ones?

Maybe they need a more scheduled routine with more discipline?

Ex. No food before dinner rule,
you can give them 3 tickets that they can use for things, like they can ask for 1 toy, 1 food and 1 drink
before bed and then that's all . . .

Good luck!

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 8:19 pm
I am learning to say things like, "I can't look at your picture while I'm changing a dirty diaper. You need to wait." and "I can't pour you a drink while I'm giving her supper..." I want my kids to learn to have Sechel and patience to ask for things when they see I'm not already busy with 1000 things at once.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 9:15 pm
My 5 yr old doesnt close his mouth, ever. I sometimes tell him my mouth is tired and he has to be quiet for a little bit. that works.

other times I simply chuckle from his questions.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 9:20 pm
My little girl never shuts her mouth. Ever. She talks from the second she wakes up until she goes to sleep. Even when I go out on the street. I learnt to look at the bright side. Baruch hashem she can talk and communicate like a normal child. You can work a bit on your kids not being so needy. Tell them you want to read quietly for ten minutes and they can play near you....Talk to them and tell them how to fend for themselves.

zigi

Post Tue, Oct 26 2010, 10:24 am
I tell my kids get your own water etc... they learn how to be independent, and I leave snacks on the table. I also like mommy time out time. mommy is resting you go and watch a video. also I tell ds its not a good time now mommy wants peace and quiet, ds can talk nonstop.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 26 2010, 11:51 am
I know exactly how you all feel. BTDT. This is going to sound impossible but trust me: find a way to keep your sanity without turning them off from sharing with you. You want them to feel they can talk to you.

SV

Post Tue, Oct 26 2010, 12:04 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
I am learning to say things like, "I can't look at your picture while I'm changing a dirty diaper. You need to wait." and "I can't pour you a drink while I'm giving her supper..." I want my kids to learn to have Sechel and patience to ask for things when they see I'm not already busy with 1000 things at once.

This is what I've been trying to do too. I also try to anticipate the requests as much as I can - for example pour them drinks, give them napkins etc before I go off to change the baby's diaper.

Also, as much as it gets annoying I try to remind myself that kids can be so helpless. And it must be so hard to always depend on someone else to do things for you. So when they repeat their request for the 10th time they are not trying to irritate you, they are just trying to get through to you to make sure their needs are met. Oftentimes if you say “I will do that in one minute, after I finish with x” they stop repeating themselves.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 26 2010, 12:31 pm
My kids are in their TWENTIES and don't stop either.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics