Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Day Camp>Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus
1  2  Next

Should I send my kids?
Yes, sure- let them have some fun!  
 52%  [ 11 ]
No, it's not for frum kids.  
 23%  [ 5 ]
Yes, it's not so bad  
 14%  [ 3 ]
No, PETA alleges that animals are subjected to brutal treatments  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I am not sure, you have to decide.  
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 21

roza

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 5:52 pm
So...

The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey® Circus
is in town, and the whole Chabad Day camp is going, tomorrow.

Yes tomorrow, and I need your advise yesterday. Here is my question:

Do you think it's an appropriate show for a 6 year old frum girl and 4 year old frum boy?

Am I overreacting in thinking that it's not so appropriate?

The camp director said that she has free tickets, but I can take my kids somewhere else, also fun.

On the other hand I did not see this american show, I remember from russian circus - lots of half-naked performers. How 'bad' is this one?

http://www.ringling.com/

Crayon210

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 5:54 pm
I think there are tznius issues in American circuses, IIRC.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 5:58 pm
I just wanted to mention that Peta is not our friend and that their problems with circuses are also with shechita. That kind of people is also anti bris of course.

Ok, back to the topic!

Crayon210

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 6:03 pm
PETA is anti-circumcision?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 6:12 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
PETA is anti-circumcision?

I don't know if Peta is as I don't know if it cared about human beings or just animals. But I know that they are exactly the kind of people who hate it.
I've found a "nice" article from Peta about their beliefs about us, interesting: http://www.jesusveg.com/murticomplete.pdf
Interesting that they call Rashi "Solomon von Isaac" Rolling Eyes

Crayon210

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 6:15 pm
PETA is People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. I don't think they care too much about humans, or if they're circumcised or not.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 6:16 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
PETA is People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. I don't think they care too much about humans, or if they're circumcised or not.

I know they fight Islamic circumcision though, I heard about it from a Muslim friend. But true in general they don't care about people.

miriam

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 7:07 pm
PETA= People eating tasty animals.

miriam

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 7:14 pm
Roza, in school, (I attended Lubavitch day school), we were not allowed to attend the Marathon that ran very near to our school. The admin told us it was not tznius for us to be looking at how everyone was dressed, girls and boys included.

I think the director is excited about a free trip but it doesn't seem totally appropriate. Hoefully you can't see too much of their tight leotards from sitting so far back.

I think they do focus on animals more than people. They are tznius, right?

hisorerus

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 7:24 pm
I personally would not send my children on the trip, and take the opportunity to teach them that we don't have to do what everyone else does- we can take steps up in Yiddishkeit.

I would probably make a point on taking them on a consolation trip or doing an activity, just so they shouldn't resent it.

chanab

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 8:11 pm
Quote:
Do you think it's an appropriate show for a 6 year old frum girl and 4 year old frum boy?

nope, probably wouldn´t send my kids........

roza

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 9:42 pm
Quote:
...wouldn´t send my kids...

thanks, everyone, I thought so too, just needed reassurance Smile

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 12:49 am
I think our children only gain from seeing that "we don't have to do what everyone else is doing." and in our family we think carefully about what is "ratzon Hashem" (Hashem's will) even if "everyone" does x.

brooklyn

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 6:55 am
I've been to the circus many times as a child and as an adult. While there may be some untzniut costumes it is not something that most people even notice. The crowd is watching the act performed bt the performers not their costumes. While walking down the street I would notice untzniut clothing or on a beach, at the circus it never came to mind. I mean a trapeeze artist wouldn't do very well wearing a long skirt would she?

Crayon210

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 7:33 am
Just because she wouldn't do well doing it doesn't mean that frum kids have to see her.

And while halacha does recognize that workers who are so involved in their work can be in certain untzanua situations, I don't believe it applies to leisure activities like the circus.

Whether the child will actively notice or not is probably irrelevant. S/he will be affected just by being there and seeing it, and may remember more than we would think. Confused

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 7:34 am
Very often our camps did things that I did not really think was appropriate. Did they ask a rov?

I hated to separate my kids out, though.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 7:43 am
Even if they did ask a rav, the camp is not your rav, and you can ask a question yourself and make a determination yourself.

Motek

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 2:23 pm
Roza - would you ask the director if he/she consulted with a chasidishe rav about this?

timeout

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 2:30 pm
This brings up the discussion which I had in the chat a few days ago.

This past Sunday I went to the Museum Intrepid. Somebody else in the chat said she would not go because her DH would see woman inappropriately dressed nothing to do with children but would you take your kids to non jewish museums knowing people in teh summer will be inappropriately dressed according to the weather?

smily

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 2:47 pm
so how does he walk the streets in the summer?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics