Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Mama Bear: I like this
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 02 2010, 12:04 am
We make a similar Shabbos menu, which is traditional but not a Minhag for us.
We wait all week for our Challah, dips, chicken soup. Never get bored of it... LOL
To those of you who find a traditional Shabbos menu boring, do you serve leftovers from Shabbos often or cook all week long?
We cook fresh food every night for dinner, and try not to have any leftovers from Shabbos. But I was thinking that if I served Shabbos leftovers during the week, I just might get bored of our Shabbos food. Just wondering if this is why you find traditional Shabbos food plain and boring?

Amital

Post Tue, Nov 02 2010, 12:20 pm
mom4many wrote:
Amital wrote:
I have a similar menu most weeks except for the main dish, which I like to play with. But I've figured out how to make my salads last for two weeks and rotate them so I only have to make a few each week (we're sefardi and it's apparently not a meal without a real mezze for dh).

Challah I make fresh nearly every week.

Salads: I do zhug, bell pepper, and carrots one week and smoky babaganoush, tomato dip, and something else interesting another week. Every week I use bought hummus, which we like better than any recipe I've found, and avocado or guac--these usually last a few weeks, too.

Soup, if I make, it's fresh. Often bean, matzah ball, meatball, or taco.

Side dishes: I make 3-4 pans of the same kugel or two each week and freeze the extras to defrost next week. Usually broccoli, spinach, squash, sweet noodle (undercook), corn "cake," maybe potato. Then you get an assortment of options with just a little extra work. The extra work really pays off on Friday, though! Usually add a rice or cous cous dish which I just assemble and bake on Friday.

Chicken: I often buy big amounts of chicken on sale, skin it, and marinate/spice it in disposable pans, freeze it, and then defrost it and cook it the week we'll eat it. I do make 3-4 of each kind of chicken (like sesame chicken, brown sugar spice rub, BBQ, maybe kung pao if I'm up for chopping, etc.), and then just pull out what we're in the mood for that week.

Wow I'm impressed Amital. I dream of doing this as well - someday? When do you do these big batches - in the beginning of the week or on Thursday?

Also I'm curious how many people you cook for on a regular Shabbos - and what size batches you freeze. I mean I'd need to have batches to serve ~10 people. To me that seems like a large quantity...

My last question is how do you recommend freezing prepared chicken if every week you have a different amount of people (and very few family members touch leftovers)? Every week I take out the exact amount of portions that I think will be used +1 or 2.

Thanks for sharing!

A shabbat for us could be just my family of 5 to around 15 people, depending (usually more in the 8-10 people range), so I freeze different sizes for convenience.

I cook when I can. I'm a stay at home homeschooling mom to three young boys and expecting my fourth, so I'm already planning my freezer stock and Pesach freezer prep ahead of time (I'm due on Pesach-yikes!). Often this means bits and pieces throughout the day, like chopping or grating a bunch of onions at a time, or getting out all the non-perishable ingredients and putting them in a bowl to finish later. Then at night, I can listen to something or watch something while I do the mindless work like rolling meatballs, folding jachnun, chopping chicken, stuffing moroccan cigars, etc.

For meatballs and things like this, I freeze approximately 1 pound packages and take out what I need--several bags or just one. I usually freeze without a sauce, although if you marinate chicken, it really sinks in as it thaws. But freezing without a sauce gives you more flexibility on what to do with your basic parts--like what kind of meatballs will those basic meatballs turn into? (Maybe sweet and sour, spaghetti and meatballs, plain tomato, Turkish sour, etc...)

For chicken, I usually freeze whole cut up chickens together plus some groups of, say three legs, and then plan accordingly. I also use leftovers, so if I figure I'd need about 1.5 chickens, I get out two and reuse the meat for something like a chicken pot pie or shred it and serve as an enchilada. There are a bunch of things you can find with already cooked chickens, so it's a planned leftovers thing.

Man, I really want to start a thread on this and get other people's ideas, too! Smile

sky

Post Tue, Nov 02 2010, 1:16 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
(We hold basar v'dagim == basar OR fish.)

really? I'm always on dh's case to find this out. Because we normally only eat basar, and the only fish dh is willing to eat is too expensive to buy every week so we only buy it for like shabbos rosh chodesh or other special shabbosim. I always feel bad that we don't have fish (I grew up that you "HAD" to eat fish on shabbos). I'd love to hear were this is from.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus