Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Speechless in Boro Park
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 1:15 am
I'm not one to make judgements, I mind my own business, but this one has evoked a reaction in me, and I feel the need to publicize this:
I was at the local playground/park (Ave. F) with my toddler. There was this colored woman babysitting 2 adorable yidishe girls, with blond hair. (One of the children was wearing a white skirt with a pink t-shirt with the words, I can't remember the words, but definitely had "sun" and "fun" in there.)
Along came a non-kosher ice cream truck and the sitter bought an ice cream for each of the kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 6:33 am
I know where I live most of the ice cream is kosher, although not cy. (b''h for my diet!!!) I don't know how it is in the U.S. Maybe the ice cream was actually kosher? And the mother told the sitter she could buy this ice cream for them.

How old were the kids? Were they old enough to question what they were being given?

elisecohen

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 6:48 am
Yes, here most ice cream trucks carry bars which are wrapped with a good hechsher (OU, OK, chof-K), and generally there are even some which are just dairy equipment and are eaten by some who otherwise are strict about CY. The trucks are obviously not under any kashrus supervision, but there's no reason not to eat wrapped treats bought from them; it's not even MA since most people know there are kosher bars for sale. Here they even have one come to the school on "truck day" they just have them only stock the kosher sweets that day, even though the treif ones are still advertised on the side of the truck.

PinkandYellow

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 7:25 am
side point- ave F is kensington not boro park

Flowerchild

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 9:25 am
most ice cream trucks in ny contain kosher ice cream, I buy it from them, good humour, hershey etc, have a hachsher on them, and most I ce cream trucks have those ice creams and ices are kosher as well. I so often see jewish kids and parents run to the ice cream trucks to get ice cream.

happy

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 9:32 am
ice cream trucks that service the jewish neighborhoods in brooklyn even carry "Kliens-cholov yisrael. I've bought some for my kids from the ice cream trucks.

goldrose

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 9:35 am
and those ice cream trucks that go around with the music - those are kosher??

I think I might stop one of the trucks and ask them if they have kosher ice cream. Not because I'd buy it, but because I want to know.

JRKmommy

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 10:05 am
Properly instructing babysitters is obviously important.

I'm wondering though - is there any chance that these little girls weren't Jewish, or weren't religious?

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 10:30 am
I posted about this in another thread, that I saw a non jewish sitter feed my neighbor's special needs child from her own treife (cheese curls, doodles or wtvr) snack in the park. When I spoke to the mother about it she was distressed about this fact. Of course the sitter had done it without her knowledge or permission.

Coke Slurpee

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 10:53 am
I don't understand how any parent can entrust there kids with an non jewish babysitter. You never know what songs they sing to the kids, what stories they tell the kids, maybe they listen to inappropriate things on the radio,or watch tv (if you have one) that is not appropriate for your kids. What they buy them to eat. Do you really know what your babysitter is doing when your not around? Kids are so impressionable and they pick up subtle messages from everyone and everything around them. Why would anyone want to entrust their precious yiddishe neshama to a [gentile]- for so many hours a day and who knows what they will pick up from them. They are definitley not being taught about yiddishkeit. And there are jewish babysitters so why not use them?

Crayon210

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 11:12 am
Sometimes that's not an option, sometimes the expense is much greater.

Coke Slurpee

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 11:19 am
Is it really? I live in Brooklyn and I dont know any non jewish babysitters that are cheaper. I have friends who use both jewish and non jewish babysitters and they all pay around the same amount.

shopaholic

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 3:23 pm
Who says it was kosher but not cholov yisroel & the family doesn't keep cholov Yisroel. That's what I would assume.

Tefila

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 3:50 pm
May I ask why you didn't approach this sitter in a friendly way and say oh I like to see that icecream since perhaps if it's fine I can get it too. Or find out which family she babysits for. It doesn't help the kids if we outsiders r shocked into silence Confused

happy

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 4:51 pm
Quote:
May I ask why you didn't approach this sitter in a friendly way and say oh I like to see that icecream since perhaps if it's fine I can get it too. Or find out which family she babysits for. It doesn't help the kids if we outsiders r shocked into silence

perfectly said. Thumbs Up

Why judge without knowing the facts!!!???

shayna82

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 5:07 pm
And how do you know that this wasnt a prearranged arrangment that the babysitter should buy them a specific brand of ice cream.

MinnieMa

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 5:11 pm
If someone eats not cholov yisroel, which you can assume these children had, then buying from those ice cream trucks with the music would be no problem. Most of the ice cream is kosher-- it's just a question of C'Y.

Boys"R"Us

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 6:03 pm
amother wrote:
There was this colored woman

Am I the only one who finds the term "colored" used about a person, somewhat offensive? Where I live, that term is considered racist. Along the lines of using "kike" for a Jew. African-American, or even black, I believe are more acceptable. Any of the black imothers on here care to comment?

As for the original question. Unless you left out the part about you actually knowing the little girls' family, I don't understand how it is any of your business? How on earth can you tell by looking at two little toddlers, how religious, or even what religion, their family is? I'm sure there are many Jewish families who do not keep kosher at all. Or only keep kosher at home. Or turn a blind eye to what the babysitter buys for their kids who are under 3. etc, etc... There are all kinds of possibilities.

Sorry for sounding so judgemental, but I found this post a bit strange.

shopaholic

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 7:28 pm
Quote:
Am I the only one who finds the term "colored" used about a person, somewhat offensive? Where I live, that term is considered racist. Along the lines of using "kike" for a Jew. African-American, or even black, I believe are more acceptable. Any of the black imothers on here care to comment?

Don't even go there! We had a 7+ page thread about this. You don't wnat to start all that again!

faigie

Post Sat, Jul 08 2006, 11:33 pm
it offended me. and no im not black.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics