Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How do you really feel about cooking?
Previous  1  2

How do you really feel about cooking?
Love it! Always look for new recipes and enjoy being creative.  
 31%  [ 45 ]
Like it, but I don't go overboard.  
 37%  [ 54 ]
Tolerate it. No choice- I have to feed my family.  
 22%  [ 32 ]
Hate it. Would serve take-out every day if I could.  
 9%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 144

Insomniac

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 3:18 pm
What's funny is that my husband used to be the one that had more time to clean up (I know, I'm blessed) , so after he would clean the kitchen he would take a look at the clean shiny counters and look at me and say "your going to mess t his up again tomorrow, right? Maybe we don't need food tomorrow" LOL!
He enjoys my food though and as long as I have cookies/cake/muffins to munch on he's a happy man. I'm with everyone else, if I'm honest I really only cook to feed my family but there is a satisfaction of taking raw ingredients and making yummy edible food!

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 3:19 pm
Love cooking, don't have time or koach to do it right, and hate baking with a passion.
but I also love eating out, and ordering in, and generally food that other ppl make. Basically, I love food and I love the fact that shoprite has good dessert cakes for Shabbos.

pumpernickle

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 4:51 pm
You didn't put an option of loving to cook yet hating the dishes...

NativeMom

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 5:19 pm
I love it! When I have time to cook and when my husband is home I love making nice meals. Our meals the past couple shabbosim have been pathetic because I get home so close to shabbos!

flowerpower

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 5:25 pm
I don't mind cooking at all! I don't cook these complicated 50 step dishes so maybe that helps a bit.

Reality

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 5:32 pm
I really enjoy cooking but I chose the second option because:
1. cooking with my kids around puts a damper on the fun... ok dd now it's ds turn to mix.. ok we take turns, there is 1 cup of flour in the recipe so I'll divide it in 3 so everyone gets a chance... get my drift?
2. I try to only cook healthy so that eliminates most of the potchke things. So for Shabbos I make a fruit platter every week & cooked veg. spreads & salads etc.. and that is my potchke. I stopped making the fancy side dishes & desserts b/c they are so unhealthy.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 6:13 pm
Reality wrote:
1. cooking with my kids around puts a damper on the fun... ok dd now it's ds turn to mix.. ok we take turns, there is 1 cup of flour in the recipe so I'll divide it in 3 so everyone gets a chance... get my drift?

Why does everyone have to put in the flour? When I bake with my kids, they take turns with putting in, but I wouldn't make myself crazy like that. If it calls for 1 cup of flour then one child pours the flour and the next will do the sugar etc..

kitov

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 7:03 pm
I absolutely hate cooking and food preps. If it were up to me, I'd convert my kitchen into a living/family room and have food delivered 3x daily.

But being the way things are, at the end of the day, my family (and I) need food. So I don't disappoint them, and I cook good, wholesome, nutritional food.

Good girl. (Is there a self-patting emoticon?)

Marigold

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 7:15 pm
I don't enjoy cooking but I DO enjoy serving the food once it's all done! I do it bec. I have to and at the end of the day I do want to feed my family healthy food. However if there'd be no dishes, messes and spills to worry about, now that's something else entirely.

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 9:29 pm
the first thing I would do if I won the lottery... is hire a chef

IloveHashem613

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 5:00 am
I voted #1 because most of the time I LOVE cooking. The kitchen is where my creative side comes out and I love putting myself into the food I make for dh (and watching him enjoy eating it). But I'd be lying if I said there were never times when I feel lazy and tell him to just have cereal for dinner or wish I could just snap my fingers and a dish would appear. But I am blessed to say that cooking is one of my passions and I don't mind that I have to do it, I embrace it. Btw, some people here mentioned that they would love a personal chef.... I wouldn't mind being a personal chef!!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 8:15 am
I don't like "boring" recipes, but I'm too lazy for fancy ones... and I'm very not used to it, so I can only do the basics... BH BH dh cooks soooo well. Without a book, without a scale, just "like that". I tell him what I want, or I hear of a cool recipe and he makes it (and kosherizes it Wink ).
He's the one who really cooks in this house, better for everyone. Mati LOVES his cooking, me too, my parents too when we lived together. He made me LOOK FORWARD to Pessach shock Very Happy LOL

amother

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 12:50 pm
Not to sound too nit-picky but anyone else bothered by the wording inthis poll "would serve take out every day if I could." Serve? We are not caterers or in the restauraunt business! I notice people on these threads talking about what to serve DH for lunch, what to serve a picky DD for dinner etc etc. Why not say "hate it- would get take out every day if I could" or "what to give picky DD for dinner" or "what to make for lunches." Sorry if nobody else relates but it bothers me for 2 reasons. It is either:

1) Sound like we take ourselves way to seriously. Serve? Come on, were talking about dinners for our family, not banquet on the Titanic. I mean, seriously, even when talking about take out for a family we need to say "serve" ??

2) Could sound overly domicile and chauvenistic. How unfortunate for young mommies to be talking about serving their husbands and children all the time when there are less loaded words to use like "give" "make" etc.

I really dont mean to be a stick in the mud, it's just been bothering me for a while to hear all this formality and weirdness. Is this how we conceptualize ourselves?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 12:58 pm
I didn't think of it, English is not my first language, but you know, YOU ARE RIGHT!

Liba

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 1:06 pm
When I was well I loved to cook, and cooked good healthy foods from scratch.

I am not always able to at this point, but I do what I can. I may not be making home made tortillas and boiling beans for burritos but I can make a ton of pickles in almost no time and get immense pleasure watching my children enjoy something I made them with love. Even if they have to wash the cucumbers for me, it is still mommy made and it is still appreciated.

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 1:14 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Reality wrote:

Why does everyone have to put in the flour? When I bake with my kids, they take turns with putting in, but I wouldn't make myself crazy like that. If it calls for 1 cup of flour then one child pours the flour and the next will do the sugar etc..

helping cook is FUN !!! do more like what yo does or take turns with having one helper ... don't resent it ...

Karnash

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 2:23 am
To amother: As someone who is sensitive to discriminatory language - I actually use the term - chairperson -and after re-reading my wording, I still don't have a problem with my phrasing. I don't think it has anything to do with servants or servitude. You set the table, set your clock, serve the ball (tennis, ping-pong) serve the meal. It can be done by man, woman or child. However, if I offended you, I apologize.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 3:48 am
amother wrote:
Not to sound too nit-picky but anyone else bothered by the wording inthis poll "would serve take out every day if I could." Serve? We are not caterers or in the restauraunt business! I notice people on these threads talking about what to serve DH for lunch, what to serve a picky DD for dinner etc etc. Why not say "hate it- would get take out every day if I could" or "what to give picky DD for dinner" or "what to make for lunches." Sorry if nobody else relates but it bothers me for 2 reasons. It is either:

1) Sound like we take ourselves way to seriously. Serve? Come on, were talking about dinners for our family, not banquet on the Titanic. I mean, seriously, even when talking about take out for a family we need to say "serve" ??

2) Could sound overly domicile and chauvenistic. How unfortunate for young mommies to be talking about serving their husbands and children all the time when there are less loaded words to use like "give" "make" etc.

I really dont mean to be a stick in the mud, it's just been bothering me for a while to hear all this formality and weirdness. Is this how we conceptualize ourselves?
Where do you come from? Lehagish arucha is to serve a meal. Yeah, it's a service not servitude. The action of politely getting a meal from the pot to the table is called "serving". Taking things from here and there and getting a meal to the table could be called tossing something on to the table. Which is what I do during the week. On Shabbat, the food I made is served by whomever gets it from the kitchen to the table (not I). Please, check your English usage.
serve (sûrv)
v. served, serv·ing, serves
v.tr.
a. To work for.
b. To be a servant to.
a. To prepare and offer (food, for example): serve tea.
b. To place food before (someone); wait on: served the guests a wonderful dinner.
a. To provide goods and services for (customers): a hotel that has served tourists at the same location for 30 years.
b. To supply (goods or services) to customers. See Usage Note at service.
4. To assist the celebrant during (Mass).
a. To meet the requirements of; suffice for: This will serve the purpose.
b. To be of assistance to or promote the interests of; aid: "Both major parties today seek to serve the national interest" (John F. Kennedy).
a. To work through or complete (a period of service): served four terms in Congress.
b. To be in prison for (a period or term): served 10 years for armed robbery.
7. To fight or undergo military service for: served the country for five years in the navy.
8. To give homage and obedience to: served God.
9. To act toward (another) in a specified way: She has served me ill.
10. To copulate with; service. Used of male animals.
11. Law
a. To deliver or present (a writ or summons).
b. To present such a writ to.
12. Sports To put (a ball or shuttlecock) in play, as in tennis, badminton, or jai alai.
13. To bind or whip (a rope) with fine cord or wire.
v.intr.
1. To be employed as a servant.
2. To do a term of duty: serve in the U.S. Air Force; serve on a jury.
3. To act in a particular capacity: serve as a clerk.
4. To be of service or use; function: Let this incident serve as a reminder to future generations.
5. To meet requirements or needs; satisfy: a device that will serve well.
6. To wait on tables: serve at luncheon.
7. Sports To put a ball or shuttlecock into play, as in court games.
8. To assist the celebrant during Mass.

Isramom8

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 4:14 am
We serve Hashem. Serving can be a good thing.

My attitude towrds cooking can be any of the above, depending on the phase in my life, and who will actually eat and appreciate my efforts. I don't enjoy making a fancy fleishig meal when only my younger kids are home and will turn up their noses and mke a chocolate spread sandwich or microwave a corn shnitzel

But if it's a three day YT and we're having guests, I'll mamsh go to town.

ora_43

Post Fri, Nov 05 2010, 4:49 am
I just managed to remember all the way back to the beginning of the semester, three weeks ago, and recalled that in general I like cooking. It's just that once the semester starts, everything else automatically becomes an impediment to studying, and my goal with cooking switches from "I think I'll experiment a bit, this will be fun," to "Let's get this over with as quickly as possible."

*sigh*
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics