Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Buying a house
Previous  1  2

queen

Post Sun, Apr 02 2006, 9:15 am
that's why I hope girls while single are careful to save...... never again will they have the opportunity to save while having (almost) no expenses.

koolmother

Post Sun, Apr 02 2006, 10:52 am
amother who bought for $450

its a 2 floor condo in a 4 family building, and its in crown heights.

Alef Bais

Post Sun, Apr 02 2006, 12:57 pm
Bell wrote:
alef beis--I know s/1 who wants to sell her home in flatbush--I have no idea if thats where u r looking or not!

Flatbush is a consideration, it depends on everything. Ideally, we'd like something on the other side of Ocean Parkway because we use the BP eiruv and it would be convenient. Kensington is where we've been looking a lot. Of course, if a great deal comes up in Flatbush with everything we'd like in a house, you never know...

I'm living in Flatbush now. There's a house for sale on my street but I wouldn't buy it for a few reasons. I'll spare you the details, but one reason is there's no driveway and it's hard to park on my block.

If you're already going to be paying so much for a house, might as well be picky about what you take!

brooklyn

Post Tue, Apr 18 2006, 10:39 am
Try the other side of Brooklyn. Old Mill Basin was once very Jewish. There are still some Jewish families but not many. Georgetown the same thing. Georgetown is starting to become Jewish again though. Many young frum families are starting to move in again. Also Flatbush is constantly growing. When I was growing up if you lived past Ocean Avenue you were in the boondocks. Now Jews are living all the way up to Flatbush Avenue. It is only a matter of a year or two before they cross Flatbush Avenue and reclaim Old Mill Basin. The gap Between Old Mill Basin and Georgetown will soon be filled with Jews again. That area is less expensive than Flatbush and is still within waliking distance to shuls.

nicole81

Post Tue, Apr 18 2006, 12:11 pm
I wouldn't suggest old mill basin. I live in mill basin and I'm telling you, all the white people in old mill basin are moving out in droves. georgetown is definitely a good suggestion, especially for multifamily homes, as is anything above mill ave (e. 62nd) in between ave u and n. that's what I was talking about, with finding a house for less than 500K. but old mill basin... ack. the jewish population in georgetown is a growing one, where OMB is quickly depleting, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

brooklyn

Post Tue, Apr 18 2006, 2:33 pm
I disagree, look at the geography, Marine Park is filling up and becoming as expensive as Flatbush. Georgetown is starting to come back as is Mill Basin. Flatbush is bursting at the seams. Old Mill Basin is the area that will connect all three of the other areas. You might be pioneering for a year or two. But once one or two families move in and opens a new little shteible the rest will follow. There is really very few other places to go. Once we start coming the prices will also start to skyrocket.

Alef Bais

Post Sun, May 07 2006, 5:12 pm
Well, I looked into buying a house and found out that this just isn't the right time for me. There's no way I can afford it Sad Unless it's a really cheap condo...maybe??
My hopes have pretty much deflated over buying a house in the foreseeable future. It's such a letdown.

BlumaG

Post Sun, May 07 2006, 8:33 pm
we saw a house for sale last wk, 5 bedroom for $165K amazing really georgeous on hte outskirtso f jewish community but the community is spreading bh, but no way can we afford a down payment and monthly we'd b paying $1250ish which is way too much for our budget right now, oh well keep praying
I feel for u, sorry

Alef Bais

Post Sun, May 07 2006, 10:06 pm
BlumaG wrote:
we saw a house for sale last wk, 5 bedroom for $165K amazing really georgeous on hte outskirtso f jewish community but the community is spreading bh, but no way can we afford a down payment and monthly we'd b paying $1250ish which is way too much for our budget right now, oh well keep praying
I feel for u, sorry

Certainly doesn't sound like Brooklyn. Halvai to find a 5 bedroom for that price here! Very Happy

amother

Post Sun, May 07 2006, 11:50 pm
Alef Bais wrote:
BlumaG wrote:
I feel for u, sorry

Certainly doesn't sound like Brooklyn. Halvai to find a 5 bedroom for that price here! Very Happy

Sure u can! (just add one more 0 to the price Very Happy )

BlumaG

Post Mon, May 08 2006, 9:14 am
nope detroit thats a really low price here too bc its on the outskirts of community
houses are going 200ish here usually
which is cheap compared ot NY I know

amother

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 9:49 pm
dont forget about all the unforseen repairs which will have to be done.

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 9:55 pm
I do a lot of repairs myself!

Tefila

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 11:45 pm
Quote:

I do a lot of repairs myself!

ditto Tongue Out
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics